• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Things that break

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I try and look at that as preventive maintenance........ Homegrown penicillin if you will..... anything that doesn't kill you only makes you stronger..... Our local ER needs a self check in or at minimum frequent flyer points. :oops::rolleyes:

That's pretty much my attitude too. I'm not real fussy about bacteria or mold and rather routinely eat stuff the grandkids drop on the floor. It's just easier to eat it than throw it away.

Joking aside, I met a rather famous immunologist 20 years ago who told me that modern hygiene is actually reducing our resistance to pathogens. Her advice was to let kids eat off the floor, play in the dirt, and take infrequent baths. In her opinion, our modern aversion to pathogens and excessive hygiene is weakening our immune systems.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Anyway back to my pile of items going to the landfill.
I rarely throw anything metallic or untreated wood to the landfill. We have a recycling facility and drop them there.

The wood gets turned into mulch, which is probably better than having it taking up space in a landfill while it decomposes. Anything less than 1’ long is my rule…

I bet they weed out the thin electrical cables and send that to the landfill… Can’t imagine that separating the copper out is worth it.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
My good kitchen knives (Wusthof) are hand wash only. I do have a couple of Henkels but they don’t seem as good quality, not sure how many Henkel men they are- two?
At work they had a gift catalogue your could select from for 5, 10 year etc. anniversaries. They had a set of Henkel knives so I got those for the cottage. Guess I should have read the fine print because they all had serrated blades cut on only one side. Try cutting carrots with those. Utter garbage.

As for the steak knives, I’m trying to slowly destroy them in the dishwasher to make room in the drawer. I discovered that if I lean them against the heating element thats quite effective. And then the metal goes to the recycling facility… Bit stinky though.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It's worth noting that Henckel sells many different levels of quality from low grade to high end.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
My good kitchen knives (Wusthof) are hand wash only. I do have a couple of Henkels but they don’t seem as good quality, not sure how many Henkel men they are- two?
At work they had a gift catalogue your could select from for 5, 10 year etc. anniversaries. They had a set of Henkel knives so I got those for the cottage. Guess I should have read the fine print because they all had serrated blades cut on only one side. Try cutting carrots with those. Utter garbage.

As for the steak knives, I’m trying to slowly destroy them in the dishwasher to make room in the drawer. I discovered that if I lean them against the heating element thats quite effective. And then the metal goes to the recycling facility… Bit stinky though.

Here, this might help you destroy them faster....I'd love a set of these. I have their meatcrafter and it's a thing of beauty and incredible sharpness.

Ironman

Ultra Member
One thing about making stuff last forever, it would completely stop all innovation. And strangle any ideas of making something better. As far as making a product that won't wear out and last forever, I think I'll chose imported "junk" I have bought 5 dollar tools that were substantially better than American stuff, but lacked the concept of accuracy. An angle block and a flycutter fixed that.
Lisle valve spring compressor 'Made in USA' buckled and the chinese version for the same money did not. I look around my shop and see Swedish, German Japanese, and China tools and US. I am grateful as when I was young I never dreamed I could afford this stuff. Still can't in some cases, but I can rebuild what others throw out.
The problem is people are trained to look at price, not quality, and then throw it out when they are finished using it.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
One thing about making stuff last forever, it would completely stop all innovation
I tend to disagree, there is almost always room for improvement or new features even if the old products last forever. I think of my ancient fridge, yes it is seemingly lasting forever but new features on a similarly well built new model would entice me to buy.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
It’s the change for the sake of change that bugs me. iPhone 15? Will it make telemarketer calls less annoying? We visited Egypt, Jordan, and Egypt last winter, and the stunningly beautiful work done by stone masons 4000 years ago blew me away. Wooden mallet, bronze chisel, and a great big slab of stone? Sign me up.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
This is an interesting thread.

I don't think stuff that lasts forever would stop all innovation. But it might slow it down. And that might increase the rate of businesses going under.

But I agree that continuous improvement is a worthy goal that also increases sales.

The right balance is prolly a shade of grey someplace in between.

My wife and I still have our solid oak living room furniture we bought when we first got married and the solid oak bedroom set we bought 5 years later. I wouldn't want new stuff if you paid me to take it.

But I do love my new carbon fibre cross-bow, the magnetic scales and graphics display on my DRO, and I'm sure I'll love the 3D printer I'll prolly get the year before I die.

Ya a little truth in both views.

What I don't like is stuff that only lasts a few years forcing me to buy a new one that might be worse than the one I had. That rots my socks big time. No excuse for that in my mind.