• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

The swarf shop

Brent H

Ultra Member
My shop garage door has the track etc and “can” open if required but it stays shut most days 364/365- I have a couple C-clamps preventing any opening.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I don’t have any use for a remote opener not knowing the range on those things I would hate to have the button pushed in the front of the house and have the garage In back open for a week or so!
I test the range on all devices when I acquire them so I can be aware of their abilities. For instance my new head phones have 1/3 the range of my previous pair but I also cannot put my phone in my left rear pocket and have clear uninterrupted connection, the right back pocket is ok but not as good as a wired connection. Same with tv remotes, first thing I test is if it needs line of sight, my cheap wireless keyboard (10yo) would transmit through day a blanket but not the mouse. my Fathers door opener would not exceed 50’ range even with fresh batteries.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Thats true about the range but my brothers wife was across the street at their daughters house and the kids/ baby had the keys with the security remote And were surprised when the swat team showed up after the panic button was pressed! They wouldn’t even let her in till they did their thing. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
Another time Auto start had come out and I had it put in my Talon but being a standard transmission it needed a lockout that wasn’t in stock and told me not to use it till it was installed While waiting for this to come in one day I exited my house keys in hand pulling the door shut and watched the car start and drag the back wheels (e brake) into the back of my truck.
I had it removed!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
The remote starter on my F150 has a habit of going into panic/theft mode when the temperature dips to -20C. It's quite annoying actually.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
The remote starter on my F150 has a habit of going into panic/theft mode when the temperature dips to -20C. It's quite annoying actually.
I wonder if that is related to a drop in voltage? Warning that the battery is beginning to freeze kind of possibility ...?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I wonder if that is related to a drop in voltage? Warning that the battery is beginning to freeze kind of possibility ...?

The alarm only activates when you attempt to remote start it. The battery is good. It's hit and miss but always occurs in that -20 range.

Bradells

(BRad)
Well, a few days has passed ... I've given up on the DTI, don't really want to go out and buy the tools required to take the crystal off of the bezel.

However, for once, I found something worthwhile on Kijiji just after it was posted!

First off, is a set of 1/8" thick parallels ... Now I have a tiny machine, and a tinier vice (2"), so these are massive, but quite the usable set from 1/2" up to 1 5/8" by 1/8ths.

IMG_5264.JPG

Heres the real deal of the week, a full set of shims. The seller mispriced them by a long shot, and I was able to scoop them up!

IMG_5265.JPG

And lastly, due to YouTube, I didn't know I needed a Micrometer holder, but there are times where I wished there was such a thing. I was planning on making one, but this was also in the mix

IMG_5266.JPG

All in all, not too bad for a nights worth of scouring the internet!

No images, but a co-worker is clearing out some woodworking equipment, so I picked up some Bessy clamps and a small delta 'job mate' styled bench for some future projects...

Brad

Bradells

(BRad)
Nice I've been looking at Gage blocks and pins for a while now maybe one day.

Pins and gauges are definitely low on my list, lots of other things to spend my last few pesos on, but I couldn’t pass up such a steal! (Seller listed them almost 1/2 of what he actually wanted them for).

He’s got a bunch of other items listed (I posted a new thread), and there’s a few more items that are needing to go into my shop.

I’ll be nice and ‘overspend’ on those items I think to make up the difference...

Brad

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I'm trying to snag the handbook but Kijiji is fighting me every inch of the way. Rob replied to text him Monday. Is there a phone number on the ad? I don't see one?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have a similar set of those offshore, round gage blocks. The screw together feature is kind of useful when you need to bring a stackup to a part being machined vs. referencing a part off block or surface plate. They come under a multitude of labels. Sometimes the box is nicer than another. They dimensionally check out pretty good to the instruments I have.

Check this out

$86.00 at Accusize, add shipping at checkout
https://www.accusizetools.com/ec04-7001-36-pcs-steel-space-block-sets/

$58.00 and free shipping with amazon prime, supplied by.... Accusize
https://www.amazon.ca/Accusize-Stee...eywords=36+gauge+block&qid=1595035419&sr=8-10

Bradells

(BRad)
I have a similar set of those offshore, round gage blocks. The screw together feature is kind of useful when you need to bring a stackup to a part being machined vs. referencing a part off block or surface plate. They come under a multitude of labels. Sometimes the box is nicer than another. They dimensionally check out pretty good to the instruments I have.

Check this out

https://www.amazon.ca/Accusize-Stee...eywords=36+gauge+block&qid=1595035419&sr=8-10

I guess in my mind Kijiji $$ is less expensive than amazon $$ :p (I wouldn’t have bought them if they were listed any higher though)

Some things I’d prefer new, others, I prefer used and giving it a new home ...

Brad

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member

Check this out

Can you explain a little more how those things can be used. I did some quick searching but only the square one really brought up much not the round ones with threaded centers. I understand they can be used to calibrate but once you have your measuring tools calibrated can't the tools be used to measure everything else. Can you clamp them in a milling vice (without damage) to offset uneven clamping? All my micrometers came with a calibrating rod, I wouldn't think these would offer me much more for my level of shop accuracy in that department???

Bradells

(BRad)
Can you explain a little more how those things can be used. I did some quick searching but only the square one really brought up much not the round ones with threaded centers. I understand they can be used to calibrate but once you have your measuring tools calibrated can't the tools be used to measure everything else. Can you clamp them in a milling vice (without damage) to offset uneven clamping? All my micrometers came with a calibrating rod, I wouldn't think these would offer me much more for my level of shop accuracy in that department???

My main reason for getting them is for eventual sine bar use.

My other uses are for comparing dimensions on the surface plate..

Brad

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
What are some garagey wisdom to pass down? (it's a small single car garage ... sharing space with storage items, including recycling/compost/garbage bin ... I can smell it now ...)

1. If you intend to do hot work in there (welding/grinding), separate your storage stuff into a section as far away as possible. Buy a welding blanket(s) from PA, hang it from the ceiling to protect the area from sparks. Never leave your shop for at least 30 mins. after your last spark has flown.

2. Hang your face shield/eye protection from a long hook (e.g., bent welding rod) from the ceiling overtop the most dangerous machine in the shop so you never have to ask yourself if it's too much trouble to walk to the other end of the shop to put it on. As finances permit, get at least one more face shield/set of eye protection and hang it at the other end of the shop. There—you now have no excuse to haul your lazy butt to the other side of the shop and put on your PPE. I'm sure I still have two eyes today because of this tip.

Best of luck with your upgrade :) Congrats.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Round gauge blocks versus square ones:

Personally I own an 81 pc precision gauge block set. Used in 100 ways on a surface plate.

Round ones are a traditional version used to set up milling machines before there were DROs If you notice on a BP and Cincinatti mill, the table has two round channels along the X axis. The round gauge blocks fit in this channel and help with setups. [End of history lesson]

First use if the gauge block is Grade B or better is to calibrate you micrometers and verniers. A second use which is very helpful it to practice precise measuring. If I haven't done any machining for a couple of months, I do a refresher.

There are many machining ways to use these, but they need additional 'bits' to be versatile, and I'll mention only one example: when turning a shoulder, you can use a micrometer stop for your carriage. You build a gauge block stack the same height as your shoulder and face your part. You then put the gauge block stack, along with the micrometer stop hard against the carriage, and remove the gauge block stack, you now have a very precise way to turn up to the shoulder.

DROs have obviated the need for gauge blocks, except for surface plate use.