• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Tethered cars

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Kind of cool if you are into nitro speed nerd stuff. I always wanted to see this but its getting to be quite rare. Event kind of reminds me of pylon racing. We are all getting older, fewer in numbers & competing with video games for new blood. When we croak the kids will wonder what was the point of grown men flying around 3 poles HaHa

Tom O

Ultra Member
When I was a kid I used some 2x2 wood with a 049 propeller engine to power it. The anchor point was a nail pounded into the tennis court :eek: and it went like hell!

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
When I was a kid I used some 2x2 wood with a 049 propeller engine to power it. The anchor point was a nail pounded into the tennis court :eek: and it went like hell!
And I did something similar... I used 049 engines and made wooden sleds with wire rails but ran them untethered done the hard packed snowy roads! I would chase them along and had great fun. I loved the screaming buzz and smell of those engines!

turner

Yea me too, what fun we had before the key board. Had one of those COX airplanes on a string that Dabbler is talking about. Plane was designed to crash but in reality plastic only survives so many crashes. Took the .049 and strapped it to the back of a Tonka Jeep, ran the engine backwards. Let it free on the sand packed beach and there was no way I could catch up to it. Managed the runs by shorting the fuel so it would run out rather quickly.