Tecnico’s First Mill

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Thanks Len, a lot of thought and a few calculations went into the dolly. I knew I had to plan the (trip home) loading/off loading thoroughly because I was unsure if I could count on a lot of help on the day and the dolly was as sure a thing as I could come up with. Next best would have been a cowboy with a roll back truck and I didn't like the sound of his idea of offloading; tip till it slides off! I'm really pleased, even surprised with how easy it is to move the machine around in my shop. When it finds a long term spot in the shop I'll probably chock it up off the wheels or take them off and let it sit on the floor. The height isn't a problem for me. ;)

I don't have a lot of time on the vise but I'm glad you brought up the grease, I've been looking at the swarf collect with some concern. After cleaning all the grease off my lathe leadscrew (the grease recommended by Myford) I put ISO 36 (I think) oil on it (also recommended by Myford) because I thought it was gathering up too much swarf. Same thought with the vise and @Susquatch 's comments support the thought.

Just a few words on the 6" Vevor vise: I weighed up the tradeoff of the "economy" vise vs. stalking something like a Kurt and came to the conclusion that I immediately needed more than the little drill press vise or the hold down kit that came with the machine and Kurts don't grow on trees in these parts so I went for it. I don't regret it at this point.

The Vevor is definitely built to cost WRT features and finish but is also surprisingly precise, at least by my measurements on the table of the mill. I was surprised by this after reading various sources on the web. I did some deburring to clean up the castings before I put it in service and I had to mod the handle before it was usable but it's fine after that.

Where they skimp is on the lock down ball, it's cast in, not a separate ball and the casting needed smoothing up and the leadscrew has a plain bearing not a ball but I think I might be able to retrofit. I'm thin on experience with a Kurt (the office had one) and with the hands on time with the Vevor I can say that I haven't found glaring shortcomings so far. For me it was the right tool at the time and who knows what the future will bring.

Anyhow, that's the story for now!

D:cool:
The VEVOR vises are definitely milling vises and don’t let anybody tell you they are drill press clamps. I know this from four years in a machine shop, years as a designer and more years as a project manager at a process developer.
I am experimenting with synthetic grease, because I am not sure about the vise materials.
If I find that there is too much metal grinding causing abrasive wear on the screw . . . I may have to switch to a flushing oil.
Observations will follow in the weeks ahead.