Product TechMet Turning inserts samples

Product

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
so far as I understand what UPS told me this afternoon was that the way TechMet sent the packages is what made the difference. Thestelsyer’s was sent “free domicile” where the shipper pays the brokerage fees whereas mine was sent such that the receiver paid the brokerage fees.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
TechMet is investigating why three packages were sent out but only one was duty COD

My guess is that word spread from this metal working forum in Canada and there was a rush on free inserts crossing the border. That put a burp in the cash flow account for shipping and taxes at TechMet and some bean counter put a plug in the dam.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
My guess is that word spread from this metal working forum in Canada and there was a rush on free inserts crossing the border. That put a burp in the cash flow account for shipping and taxes at TechMet and some bean counter put a plug in the dam.
Maybe but I'm pretty confident I was first as I ordered before I posted on the forum.

kstrauss

My samples came yesterday and were just left outside the front door. The invoice said "manufacturer sample". No charge -- yet!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Since we have long since left to original topic for this post I started a new thread called “Shipping woes and options” and moved most of the posts there.

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
I ordered three different WCMT inserts to try - two with 1/64 radius, one with 1/32 radius and three different grades - for CI, stainless and steel. At no cost, but UPS still has to do their thing.

My current inserts (Accusize) don't seem to last very long with the cutting edges crumbling or chipping quite easily. By contrast the Sumitomo, Toolmex and Koreloy inserts have a much longer lifespan, although much more expensive. So, fingers crossed.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
My current inserts (Accusize) don't seem to last very long with the cutting edges crumbling or chipping quite easily

I have found that the cheaper carbide inserts are much more fragile as well. If I use less cutting pressure by lowering my DOC they do a better job and last longer. This is contrary to the normal practice with carbide, but it works for me.

I have found the WNMG inserts from Accusize last very well, and the ground carbide inserts for aluminum last surprisingly long..,

--The bonus with the ground aluminum inserts is that I can take as small a depth of cut as with HSS - down to 1/4 of a thou or so. No needing to 'guess' at cutting pressure to get the final cut to dimension. I just do all the finishing with the inserts ground for aluminum. It saves guesswork, and a much better finish, too! A big thanks to @RobinHood for running some tests with me on this. Our smallest cut, which made 'steel wool' at a grade way below 000, was with one of his branded inserts (for aluminum), and it was just over 1/10th of a thousandth of an inch.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I bought some new carbide bits for aluminium and tried them on steel. My results were like @Dabbler described. Very easy to take extremely fine cuts on very hard steel - specifically grade 8 bolts.

I was particularly surprised and impressed because I could do this during a facing operation which is something I have not been able to do with a shear tool.

I did not take measurements. However my experience suggests I was able to take cuts in the low tenths because I was able to progress from chips through fine steelwool and on to what could only be described as powder. I've done some beautiful finishes on steel before but this was the best I've ever done on a grade 8 bolt.

I admit I caught myself staring at the results with my mouth open in total disbelief.

I cannot wait to try this during an actual project on regular steels.

There will always be a place in my shop for HSS, but this does certainly does change things for me.

Many thanks to @Dabbler & @RobinHood for opening a new door for all of us.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Is the carbide for alum or steel different? or is it just the cutting angles and chip evacuation?
I got a few aluminum bits from tech met and they work well, will have to try them next time I have to shave something down in steel.