Product TechMet Turning inserts samples

Product

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Practical Machinist recently started sending me marketing emails. Today's had an article entitled "3 key decisions for successful turning insert selection", which was a link to an article on the TechMet site.

At the top of the page, was a banner ad: "Try any of our turning, grooving or threading inserts risk-free at NO COST", with a link.

Essentially you can pick up to three inserts, and ask for up to two each of your three choices, and they'll send them for free.

I didn't think that I'd be able to take advantage of this because I'm in Canada but Canada was there in the country drop down. No business details required, just name address email and phone number.

So I ordered two each of three different TCMT style inserts. We shall see if they really do ship them to me.

Here's the link if you want to take advantage of the offer: Free inserts

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Practical Machinist recently started sending me marketing emails. Today's had an article entitled "3 key decisions for successful turning insert selection", which was a link to an article on the TechMet site.

At the top of the page, was a banner ad: "Try any of our turning, grooving or threading inserts risk-free at NO COST", with a link.

Essentially you can pick up to three inserts, and ask for up to two each of your three choices, and they'll send them for free.

I didn't think that I'd be able to take advantage of this because I'm in Canada but Canada was there in the country drop down. No business details required, just name address email and phone number.

So I ordered two each of three different TCMT style inserts. We shall see if they really do ship them to me.

Here's the link if you want to take advantage of the offer: Free inserts
My problem is I wouldn't have a clue as to what insert to order. I have lots from China but now years later I'm not even sure what I ordered or where I'd use them.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
My problem is I wouldn't have a clue as to what insert to order. I have lots from China but now years later I'm not even sure what I ordered or where I'd use them.
I only have TCMT shape so I picked the size then two each for steel, non-ferrous and cast iron. Easy peasy.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I tried to place an order but they don't carry any inserts for any of my holders.

I've had it in my head for quite some time to get a bigger (3/8) WCMT holder anyway so I may go that route. It doesn't look like there is any time limit on that offer, in fact it looks like that is standard process, so I've pulled back on the throttle for now.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Well that was expensive.
$37 import charges. $29 of which is effing UPS brokerage charges. Gawd I hate UPS.
DHL isn't any better. Ordered 32 MicroSD modules from China. Instead of going the regular mail route they decided to use DHL. Eventually tracking showed it stalled at YVR. Contacting the seller just resulted in a reply that the product was in transit. Do you think that DHL contacted me to let me know there was taxes and fees outstanding? Nope. Once I paid that the stuff arrived today. Sheesh. A $17 charge to collect $17.

It's like going into MacDonalds to buy a Big Mac and being told the price is $5. Oh and taxes are $0.75. And we have a service charge to collect the taxes of $5.

Oh wait. They already do that. It's the request for a TIP.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Well lo and behold ... just received my free samples from TechMet delivered via UPS at $0 cost to me. Thanks!!!
WTH!?!?
@lucsimoneau can you post a screen shot of your delivery documents? I need your tracking number to dispute my brokerage charges.
I'm calling UPS.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Not to rain on your parade but, better give it a couple of days before you celebrate, one time a few years back I got a UPS bill about a week after delivery.

@David_R8 - did your package state "sample" in the Invoice No line?
I haven't received it yet.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Well the jokes on me I guess. Called UPS and the brokerage charges were were paid by TechMet for @thestelster but not for mine. My only option is to call TechMet and try to get a credit.
The only good thing about this is that at least I had the foresight to order to cast iron specific inserts to turn down the backplate for the 4-jaw. So there's that at least.