Tap Sockets/Drivers

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I've been on a mission the past few years to rid my shop of bucket storage. Only a few left, and those wont be long as I make some more material storage for the blacksmith shop. And they say people can't change.....as a life long bucket filler and piler, I'm doing my best to get out from under that rock. HUGE improvement in efficiency.

Everett

Super User
@Dan Dubeau I got some taps with the "interference fit nut" treatment (among a number of "customized" tools) when I bought a box of tools off a retired HD mechanic when I started my HD escapades. I found the ones from his old set very handy for cleaning threads out in engine blocks and heads, especially in difficult to access locations. My only complaint was that they sometimes stripped the nut off when cutting new threads into anything but aluminum or cast iron.

But yeah, for cleaning up threads in tight ugly spots they really do the trick!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I don't think I've done a good job of describing those tap drivers.

Screenshot_20240310_102844_Chrome.jpg

They do everything the nut does and more. They have an internal capture mechanism that works similar to the ball on a ratchet wrench. It holds the tap in place.

The other end of it is a regular socket driver in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" complete with the detent to hold them onto an extension bar.

- Their purpose is to allow you to use a tap with your socket driver system.

- You can reach deep places, you can use universal joints or wobble ends or straight if you want.

- you can use a ratchet driver, or a screw driver, or a drill with them.

- you can even put a speed wrench on them if you want!

- the long length of an extension bar makes it easier to see if the tap is square to the hole.

The set includes a driver for all the common sizes of taps. (But I do have a few really big taps that they don't fit.)

I can't imagine why anyone would force a nut onto a tap instead of using one of these.

They are a game changer.

mbond

Premium Member
...... well, before you can complete project number 42, your going to need to make project 41, the rotary broach......:rolleyes:
Do you know how to make a blind hole with a broach? Maybe I'm just dense and can't see it, but doesn't there have to be a through hole or at least a long enough area at the back?

Do you know how to make a blind hole with a broach? Maybe I'm just dense and can't see it, but doesn't there have to be a through hole or at least a long enough area at the back?
Just need to drill deep enough for the chip to curl into. If you want you can remove the curls and continue to the bottom....
Pretty cool contraptions that can make a variety of internal shapes.