Tap Sockets/Drivers

MrWhoopee

Tired of trying to get a chuck to hold a tap and cranking the knee up and down for a spindle tapper.
Looking for these in inch/imperial/SAE/U.S. Customary. I know of the alternatives, I want THESE.

51MJUIZoK+L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Maybe this? Add a hex to square drive adapter and go?
If that is it, there is a store about 15 minutes from my house.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tired of trying to get a chuck to hold a tap and cranking the knee up and down for a spindle tapper.

Not really sure I know what you want. I have an imperial set of the ones @DavidR8 mentioned above. They are sockets that grip the tap and they are sized to fit all the standard tap drives. You can use them with 1/4 or 3/8 square drives depending on the size of the tap head. I love mine and usually use them. I just got mine about 5 years ago and don't know how I managed to live without them before that.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Make them yourself. Not a bad afternoon project.
Tap drivers.jpg

Shank sized hole drilled into the body, intersected by a square drive sized slot cut from the side. I've used those almost daily for about 14-15 years now.

I post these every time this topic comes up in hopes that the Chinese will find it, copy them, and sell them back to us for $15 a set in in/mm lol.

terry_g

Ultra Member
My employer has a set of Snap-On tap sockets. The smaller ones are 1/4" drive and the larger are 3/8" drive. I have used them a lot on both metric and imperial taps and they work great for both.

MrWhoopee

The particular size I've needed most lately is 10-32. On a hunch, I went out to the shop and checked some tap shanks. It turns out, that much like the thread, a 10-32 is nearly identical to an M5. Ordered the metric set. Will probably order a set of the LIsle sockets too. You can never have too many tools. Thanks to all who played.

Everett

Super User
I have a set of the Lisle ones in my tool box, Harold from Amateur Redneck Workshop got me on to them. They live in my mechanics tools and are some of the best money I've ever spent.

I REALLY like @Dan Dubeau 's idea and the design of his, there may need to be a set of those made here at home for home shop work! :D

Tecnico

(Dave)
View attachment 45253

Shank sized hole drilled into the body, intersected by a square drive sized slot cut from the side. I've used those almost daily for about 14-15 years now.

I post these every time this topic comes up in hopes that the Chinese will find it, copy them, and sell them back to us for $15 a set in in/mm lol.

Clever!

Another project 42.

D :cool:

MrWhoopee

View attachment 45253

I like it!
I'll have to make some of those too.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
These are what I have been trying out with LinuxCNC. Notice the back of the collet is square and seats the tap to prevent it from turning.

Using a TTS collet holder the G-Code to tap holes. Haven't done a lot. I've been using code like this:

Specifically:
(Tapping 1/4-20 0.7" deep) t8m6g43 s200 m3 G0 X0.5 Y0 z1 G1 Z0.1 F20 G33.1 Z-0.7 K0.05 M5 G0 Z1

It works with the solid TTS collets even though I do have one of these.
1709973985161.png

I think a floating tap holder would be safer with 2mm or 3mm taps into steel. I've mostly used this with the larger taps and turning the spindle with a wrench while applying downward pressure on the manual quill feed.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It has been brought to my attention that somehow, against all odds, tap shank diameters and square drive sizes are standardized between metric and inch. How the hell did that happen?

I'd love to know how that happened too. But I have noticed that all socket drivers are 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, or 1". There might be bigger out there too. But nobody sells a metric drive that I've seen.

It's really hard to believe, but chock one up for consumers!