Tachometers

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@whydontu - look what I found. Somebody who has direct access to the Arduino Interrupts and timers....

Arduino Interrupts

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
@whydontu - look what I found. Somebody who has direct access to the Arduino Interrupts and timers....

Arduino Interrupts
That’s going to take some digesting. Fall project, maybe.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That’s going to take some digesting. Fall project, maybe.

Yup, for me too! But the article just made my digesting sooooo much easier! This is exactly what I wanted to know how to do. Like you, I plan a dive deep this fall too - right after harvest and plowing is done! If the learning works out like I hope, it will break the Arduino speed door WIDE open for both of us!

It's hard to believe that such a perfect article showed up in my google feed! Google isn't just listening, she is thinking! (I have very mixed emotions on that.....)

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
might need to go farther afield, since I’d like more than two interrupts so I can use rotary encoders for HMI devices. So I looked at this

32 interrupts, WiFi, ble, bluetooth, lots of RAM, 33-bit, freeRTOS, and $13.

down another computer rabbit hole we go!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
might need to go farther afield, since I’d like more than two interrupts so I can use rotary encoders for HMI devices.

Not saying the ESP32 wouldn't do a better job....

But I think the article is just showing how to access the timers and Interrupts directly. I would think the rest of the hardware can be accessed the same way.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
might need to go farther afield, since I’d like more than two interrupts so I can use rotary encoders for HMI devices. So I looked at this

32 interrupts, WiFi, ble, bluetooth, lots of RAM, 33-bit, freeRTOS, and $13.

down another computer rabbit hole we go!

Here is another option. It's much more expensive but adding WiFi and Bluetooth adds a crap load of capability.

Note - that is US dollars.

One of the things I'd like to do is to solve my access to the spindle problem to pickup rpm on my mill. I can do it if I take my mill head apart, but that will be a long ways from now and I'd like RPM sooner. I've been thinking about sensing motor or bull gear rpm and then multiplying that by the ratio to get rpm. An Arduino could do the calculation. Depending on where the physical rpm is measured, i might need a small bank of switches to tell the Arduino which pulleys are being used and whether or not the back gear is engaged.

Anyway like you - other than simple research, all this has to wait till the snow flies.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
I would think the rest of the hardware can be accessed the same way.
Yes, the AVR microcontrollers are really easy that way. The data sheets are pretty clear, and with built-in pull-up resistors they are really easy and forgiving to wire up.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The data sheets are pretty clear, and with built-in pull-up resistors they are really easy and forgiving to wire up.

Thanks for that Paul! I had not realized that the pull-up resistors are already on board! Having one less thing to wire up is always a good thing.

If only they added analog output instead of pulse width.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Thanks for that Paul! I had not realized that the pull-up resistors are already on board! Having one less thing to wire up is always a good thing.

If only they added analog output instead of pulse width.
As usual check your particular part, your mileage may vary, etc.
But you know that :)