• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Swage blocks.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
The quote I got from metro machine works was $5000 that is far too expensive. I would need to use hardened steel in order to work steel, and my forge is only 8 inches wide, so I think it would make the most sense to do what janger suggested, and bolt together a number of 8 inch plates machine them, and harden them in my forge.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
My dad found an old cutting edge from one of their large landscaping machines at work. it was one inch thick, one foot wide, and three feet long. I managed to cut it into three one square foot plates that I am working on to laminate together into the block that I need. As a cutting edge it is all hardened steel, and the plasma cutter had a lot of trouble cutting the one inch plate. Only my brand new cobalt drill bits were able to drill through it so I could bolt them together before welding them around the perimeters as well as a few plug welds. I don't know if a mill bit could cut this steel easy enough to shape it if it isn't annealed some how. Perhaps it could be softened a bit after I weld the p-lates and leave them to cool slowly, because neither my oven nor my forge are big enough to hold them.

My dad found an old cutting edge from one of their large landscaping machines at work. it was one inch thick, one foot wide, and three feet long. I managed to cut it into three one square foot plates that I am working on to laminate together into the block that I need. As a cutting edge it is all hardened steel, and the plasma cutter had a lot of trouble cutting the one inch plate. Only my brand new cobalt drill bits were able to drill through it so I could bolt them together before welding them around the perimeters as well as a few plug welds. I don't know if a mill bit could cut this steel easy enough to shape it if it isn't annealed some how. Perhaps it could be softened a bit after I weld the p-lates and leave them to cool slowly, because neither my oven nor my forge are big enough to hold them.
Carbide tooling definitely not HSS should work lots of cooling and lubrication.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
I managed to sever the outer swages out of two of the three 1 inch blocks of hardened steel. I can still clean the cuts with my die grinder, and after that I still need to weld the three blocks together to create one swage block before asking John to cut the iner swages with his mill. It may be better to only weld two blocks together for the main cavity two inches deep and use the last block for several other swages. However on the other hand it may not be very easy to use a swage block one square foot but only one inch thick.