• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Swage blocks.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
I'm working on forging a custom skillet with a fancy handle. So far I've done it all over the anvil, but it is difficult to get the sides perfectly curved and the bottom perfectly flat without a mold or a swage block.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
And making a swage block is not easy. That’s where I was at in my smithing adventure when I bought machines to make accessories, I finally found (aka free for a popper) piece of metal big enough to make one. But I’m starting with pritchel hole accessories first. Some pretty interesting guillotine style tools have been made to emulate a power hammer with interchangeable dies for features but damned if I can find one to show.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
Yeah, I don't know any better way than to cast a swage blog either with aluminum or steel. I do have a 14" wide 1" thick plate of steel that I'm planning on cutting with a hand held plasma torch into a cone like ring that will give me the shape I need to forge a clean skillet.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
What about making a swage block by milling out the shape in thick metal with a CNC - or even with a rotary table and manually. Rough with big end mills then finish with ball end mill? maybe further refine with right angle die grinder and sanding wheels then roloc wheels? Then heat treat ?

Could you even stack the 1" stock you have Chris into a double pile? Bolt together and then mill? If you don't have a suitable mill I can give you a hand.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
I don't have a mill, and my goal is to build a 12" swage block. I just got 9 1/2 inch 4"x8" plates of steel from work. so I could weld those into 2 12 inch squares and stack them on top of the 1inch stock I have to make up 12"x 2" stock.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
I wonder if they would warp if you welded a stack together. That's why I thought maybe bolting plates together would work.
I don't think the 12 inch plates would warp after butt welding the 4x8x1/2 inch plates together; but I don't think my forge could get hot enough to forge weld those stacked plates together into a solid block.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
Those blocks are only 1" thick and only contain common holes that are cut through the entire block. That could easily be cut with my plasma table, but I'm looking for a block with some domes, and more shapes than open circles and squares. I finished designing a block on fusion 360, I just need to find the stock for it.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Those blocks are only 1" thick and only contain common holes that are cut through the entire block. That could easily be cut with my plasma table, but I'm looking for a block with some domes, and more shapes than open circles and squares. I finished designing a block on fusion 360, I just need to find the stock for it.
Can you post an image of your Fusion design please.... I'm not following what it is you are trying to make.

Crosche

Super User

Can you grind a concave shape in a large stump?

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
I could probably grind a large concave shape out of a stump with my die grinder. That would definitely take a while, and it would probably be fairly difficult to get the shape very even by hand.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Are you trying to get uniform domed accents on flat? My understanding is the through hole allows the forming hammer to press from behind into the opening creating a uniform dome, unlike a large steel stamping in a die one and done, pounding more than once may distort the effect, just a thought though

Crosche

Super User
I could probably grind a large concave shape out of a stump with my die grinder. That would definitely take a while, and it would probably be fairly difficult to get the shape very even by hand.

Might not be too bad if you were able rough out the shape with a grinder and then level a jig or guide on the stump and use a router to produce a uniform cavity.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
Are you trying to get uniform domed accents on flat? My understanding is the through hole allows the forming hammer to press from behind into the opening creating a uniform dome, unlike a large steel stamping in a die one and done, pounding more than once may distort the effect, just a thought though
So far I shaped the concave skillet over a round die, but that still leaves several uneven areas. A 12" hole would allow me to shape those with a rounding hammer. However an even concave dapping block gives me something to follow and makes it much easier to hammer down a more smooth even dome.
the skillet I have now could possibly be made even by grinding, because it is 3/16" thick which is a bit too heavy.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
Here is the design of what I have in mind. the large bowl on one side is what I would use to shape a uniform skillet, all the other bowls could be used for rounding certain metal stock. I also decided to add some more custom shapes that I would use, like a spoon, and a wrought iron leaf.

Attachments

• 16414305094688821141495476457802.jpg
    16414305094688821141495476457802.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 16414305279275922581561101015782.jpg
    16414305279275922581561101015782.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 10

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
Some of the old time presses were done with cement forms.
I was debating if I should just do it out of cement. A more simple design could be done that way like if I only included the main cavity and the outside swages.