• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

@Susquatch continued discussion

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
So, my humour sucks. Too dry to get the humour without being there I guess. Certainly not meant to be argumentative.

I really didn't miss your point Dan. Nor did I miss your joking tone. In fact I laughed out loud. Especially at getting three!

My choice of humour was dry because it did have a serious side to it. I realize that most of my problems are self imposed. So I like to laugh at myself.

Believe it or not, I've been using rapid prototyping systems (that's what they used to call 3D printing back when it was prohibitively expensive for hobbiests) for something like 30 years. Starting with paper layered glue systems, then stereo lithography (laser activated resin layers) to ABS wire/thread systems (sort of the fore-runner to modern 3D printers). I even worked on the development of a sintered metal system that we hoped could make production parts.

It's hard to get my head around how the prices have tumbled. Back when we were pioneering them, nobody could have ever guessed they would become so cheap or so ubiquitous. You are absolutely right about how cheap 3D printers are today.

When industry started doing real-time global collaborative design, rapid prototyping really took off. It provided a way for team members on the other side of the world to build prototypes and develop solutions to their part of the big picture without flying back and forth for meetings and lab visits.

I'm glad I don't have to do that kind of stuff any more. And I am REALLY glad prices have crashed to the point where you can actually call a 3D printer cheap!

For the most part I was using dry humour to complain about the current situation for me personally. You are allowed to laugh at me.

Yes I have a computer. I used to have 5 of them. The only one I have right now is dedicated to MS Flight Simulator. That's the only game I play (if you can call it a game). Loading other software onto it screws up flight Simulator so I keep it clean and don't run any other software on it. As phones have become more powerful, I've more or less stopped using computers. Thus from a fellow who designed, built, and programmed his own computer before there were any!

Instead, I do ALL my forum and other on-line stuff like banking, wordprocessing, shopping, etc on my smartphone. I run my home automation, my security system, my farm gps guidance system, diagnose my car, listen to music, calculate machining parameters, do stress analysis, and a million other things on my smart phone. Believe it or not, we also have two network file servers here and two networked laser printers that my wife and I print to from our phones as needed.

But Sadly, ...... Unless I'm mistaken, my smartphone isn't gunna run a 3D printer. At least not yet anyway. Next month maybe. At least I hope so. There is no good reason that it couldn't. Just that nobody is doing it yet (that I know of).

I always assumed 3D Cad was huge bucks. I'm surprised to hear there is anything free out there that is actually worth using. I had a 2D Cad program on my old computer but I really hated using it. I used Catia on a super-workstation before I retired so I was spoiled rotten. Everything else I have tried seems like riding a kids tricycle compared to flying a fighter jet. I can accept that for hobby use but again, everything seems to cost way too much for too little. I also know that there are 3D Cad programs that will let you design things free as long as you don't save them. Seems like a really stupid way to con people into buying/leasing the full version.

So ya, I want a 3D printer, but I really don't want to have to buy another computer let alone be tied down to one spot and have to use a keyboard on a desk again. I love the freedom and portability my phone gives me.

I'm also annoyed at the annual licensing system the Cad companies have started adopting. I want to buy it and own it. I don't want to rent it.

Lastly, I worry about getting stranded by a CAD company that baits me into using their software and then suddenly changes horses and wants big bucks to keep using it!

So that's my story Dan. I'd love to know what free Cad software you use and why you like it. And I'd like to hear your thoughts about its future viability too.

I'd also like to know what printer you would recommend and why.
Thanks for sharing your story. Lends more context to your words, and I'd love to hear an industrial insiders history on printers and their progression if you ever feel like thumbing out a response :D. What industries did you work in that were developing 3d printing tech? I first entered the automotive manufacturing industry in 2000. I've never worked on the cutting edge of tech, and in fact quite the opposite. Mostly in smaller mom and pop shops highly resistant to change and trying to drag them into and embrace the CNC era just to survive. Jumping from lifeboat to lifeboat every couple of years. It's been a good career, challenging. Rewarding, just not very monetarily, though lol.

I've watched my little industry (automotive checking fixtures) change a lot over the years from the days we used to plot out full size designs and fedex them to customers, who would internally review them, then we'd have big in person meetings whit catered lunches and high ranking people from the big 3 etc to review large packages of jobs etc. Lead times, money, all in abundance. Now it's zoom/webex meetings and the lunch sucks. The last large job I just did was reviewed and signed off without even prints. Just a cad model, and a few webex meetings, and start building it. Can we have it tomorrow? Not a polished process yet, but shows promise. Not everybody onboard embraces tech, but IMO anytime I can shed time wasting traditions with no reduction in the end quality of the product I'm game. I always hated the "that's the way we always do it mentality" and prefer to work backwards from the finished product and strip away the time wasting procedures that don't contribute anything except traditions. If you always do what you've always done you always get what you've always got. With less and less meat on the bone with every job nowadays you have to find efficiencies or you don't survive.

As to the humor thing, don't take me too seriously. I vary rarely do myself, and like to joke around and have fun at my expense a lot. It's always tough to convey humour through words on a screen, as we all have various different personalities, backgrounds and come from different generations where references to thing may not come across as cleanly. Tone of voice, facial expressions, etc all have a big part in interpreting humour that are lacking from written word. But we all share the common bond of making chips and creating things from metal and other materials (or we wouldn't be on a metalworking site right?), so I hope we can all find common ground there. Even if my jokes aren't funny to others, they still make me laugh. :D

As for recommending printers? Another can of worms. I'd have to ask a question to give an answer. What smart phone do you use/prefer the best? If apple and you like IOS, I'd suggest going with Prusa, and buy into the whole system. If android go with a creality ender of your size, or another free range type of printer using marlin. That's just a connection I've made to the way people think, observing the trends on forums and youtube over the years. YMMV, but.... I started with an Anet a6 (or 8 I can never remember) from banggood a few years back. Decent entry level printer but finicky frame, and I was always tweaking something to get it to print right. I then bought an elegoo mars to get into the SLA resin game, and it's been amazing, albeit temperature sensitive. I can't print in my basement in the winter. I've bought stuff to make an enclosure heater, just havn't got around to it yet. . That genre has changed a lot since my purchase, so while I'd reccomend the mars again, I'm sure there is better out there for cheaper. It changes so fast.

My last printer purchase was a Kingroon KP3s FDM printer. This has been plug and play right from the box, and although it's smaller than my anet, most things I print never require that size anyway, so the anet hasn't been turned on it over a year. I'll probably repurpose the hardware to build something else cool with the kids. The kingroon print quality is right there with an ender (guy at work has one), and I like the stable frame and size. It's pretty portable, and doesn't need constant tweaking to print right. I could nit pick details about its design and build but honestly don't have much bad to say about it for the money it cost me, and the work it produces.

As to the future of 3d printing tech, I have no idea where it will go. I don't think it will ever truly replace machining, but it will certainly supplement it in ways we're seeing, and some we can't imagine yet. I'm just really exploring the opportunities to utilize it in my own shop more in the casting dept and it's been mind blowing how useful it has been on just the few projects I've done so far. See my recent thread on the subject for details. Lost resin SLA is something I want to pursue shortly as I build up and buy the equipment necessary for that.

I'm jealous of your flight sim setup. Our internet at home is very pricey (bell LTE), and I'm currently waiting for starlink to open up more spots in my cell so that I can dive into that world of sim rigs. I really want to get into Iracing (as an ex motorcycle racer), and flight sims too. I was never much of a gamer, but did enjoy my racing games. Cheaper, and crashes don't hurt as much. Being able to predict the weather is a fun party trick, but I'd rather not have that superpower.

As for tech savvyness, you've certainly got me beat. I'm really a troglodyte when it comes to computers and tech. I know enough to get by, but it ends there. Without the internet and the ability to search out problems and solutions I wouldn't be where I am today. It's an incredible time in human history to have the entire collection of human knowledge in your pocket. It's a shame most just use it to share catvideos and dumb dance videos on tik tok. But what do I know, they probably make more $ than I do. Nobody would pay to see a fat middle aged balding man dance around to hip hop anyway lol.

Now, to answer your last question. I use a large mix of software. At work it's mechanical desktop, rhino, and Solidworks for CAD, edgecam and notepad for CAM. At home and for personal projects I use the above, as well as fusion, and more recently the last few projects I've tried in freecad, although I'm not sold on it just yet. It's decent, but, it's....a free package that isn't as polished as others that I am used to. Big potential, but it all takes time and money to develop. Still searching for the perfect solution to all problems, but one doesn't exist. I still build a lot of things sans prints or designs just neuro cad, and the materials on hand dictating their dimensions and fit. I might just buy a seat of Keycreator for personal and professional use, as out of all the cad systems I've use over the years, that's the one that plugged into my brain the best, and would tick most boxes. I do believe they still sell a license (last I heard was $3500), and not sub only, but I'm not 100% sure. My info is a couple years out of date and it all changes so fast. I learned Unigraphics in college running on unix. At the time it was $35k a seat If I remember right. To have free options as good as they are today blows my mind.

I stripped this out of Stevens intro thread as I wanted to reply to you, just not further drag his thread off the rails. I think that about covered it. Been typing this on and off all morning in my free time. A bit windy I am at times....

That was an AWESOME reply. When I didn't hear anything back, I got worried that I still got my tone wrong. Then I had to hit the highway to go visit my mother in law 2-1/2 hours down the 401 in a long term care facility. Just got home and found your reply cuz you tagged me.

No worries about being windy. More like a hurricane on this end.

I really really really love that you stripped this out of Steven's intro thread. I've done that sometimes too, but it isn't easy and you often risk losing everyone else in the process.

I am definitely old. I retired 15 years ago. But there are older folks than me on here. Nonetheless, I believe in my heart of hearts that I love change. I would even go as far as to say that I actually pursue it. Not for change sake, but rather for the positive outcomes. Continuous improvement is always a worthy goal. But beyond that, it has been said that only way that anything can stay the same is if everything else changes around it. Change is generally a very good thing.

My world has been automotive too. Mostly large OEM R&D, but over the course of 35 years, many other aspects from manufacturing, to construction, to regulatory. When the product is as complex as a vehicle and the systems required to build it and test it, rapid prototyping was a giant leap forward. I could probably talk about it for days. But suffice to say it cut years off the process. It was a terrific way to reduce errors - especially intergroup errors. And as I mentioned before, it facilitated global development programs.

I'm gunna take a while to digest your software and printer recommendations.

PC and Android here all the way.

I laugh at my own jokes all the time. No idea why others don't find me as ridiculous or as funny as I find myself......

Congrats on your retirement. Automotive too, you beat the game, well done. I hope to get there someday too, but still have at least 15 to go (i'll be 40 this year).

I just had an opportunity to get in with an oem in the r&d dept, but turned it down. Jobs like that just aren't what they used to be, and it was a bit of a step backwards/sideways from where I'm at now, but I'm still not sure I made the right decision. Would have been different though. Change for the sake of change I guess. No pension, or even rrsp contributions anymore, just a contract hire, made obsolete whenever the #'s in column b show red in a spreadsheet. If you got out 15 years ago, you rode the perfect wave to shore. Not sure what the future holds for automotive manufacturing, or how or if I'm going spend the rest of my career in it. The future isn't as clear as it used to be and the only thing I'm sure of is that I'll have to change and adapt to stick around, same as I've done so far.

I still remember the very first rapid part I held. Was a door hinge we were building a check fixture for. I was not warned about how brittle it was (powder part). I was being told just how long it took to print about the same time it became a multi piece Puzzle in my bear paws. That was about 17-18 years ago. They've come a long way since then lol.

If you're a PC and android guy I'd say go the marlin route. An ender 3 is like the chevy cavalier of the 3d printer world. Not the best, not the worst, just a decent daily driver available reletively cheap. Parts everywhere, and seems like everybody is driving one. I don't have one, but know 3 people with them (2 bought on my recommendation) that are very happy with them. Lots of help on line for any problems you might run into, and usually about 15 youtube videos to walk you through any problem you could think of. That's the thing that blows me away with this stuff (and most stuff now) is just the collection of knowledge out there available, for free, not much tribal knowledge. That being said, they're ALL cheaply constructed. It's adequate for the price point and job they need to do, but don't be expecting a finely machined and well engineered machine no matter the manufacture. Stuff wears out, but upgrades are available for every part. There are people out there that really only print, printers, or upgrades for their printers, or so it seems anyway.

I've watched a few youtube videos of guys printing parts for their sim rigs. Dash panels, button boxes, etc. Not sure how into modifying and building that stuff you are, but the uses are endless.

Unless you really wanted the experience, or really liked that job, I think you made the right call. But I actually prefer contract over direct. Here I am at 75 and my pension is NOT secure. If I had funded it myself, it would be bullet proof. Believe it or not, the banks and other entities have more rights to my pension than I do even though it was a part of my compensation. The good news is that I had a rule. Put 20% of every raise or promotion or job change I ever got away. Over time my savings kept growing and growing. After 35 years, I had my own pension. Doing it when you got a raise meant you didn't feel it. So the family standard of living went up to the tune of 80%, but my savings grew proportionately bigger too. The trouble with working for a huge corporation is exactly what you said. You are just a number on a beancounter's spreadsheet. Doesn't matter if you are contract or direct. And just so you know, corporations have changed. Nobody gets pensions anymore. My kids are all older than you. None of them have a pension and I tell all of them the same thing I just told you - look after yourself.

Powder eh..... I don't remember that. My first exposure was paper layered. Those parts were pretty robust. Then came stereo lithography - Laser hardened resin. they were less robust but MUCH faster! Maybe that's what you mean. (yellowish translucent parts?) even so, only really thin parts were fragile. But ya, they did break on occasion.

The next evolution was ABS thread. (solid white or black). That's the technology that became the foundation of affordable 3D printing for the masses. But at the time it was a massive machine in its own clean room......

So, if I understand what you are saying, I already missed the boat. They already make 3D printers you can run from an android! I MUST KNOW MORE!

And what about the 3D Cad software to design the part? Did I miss that boat too?

RE - Flight Simulator. I have an old (very old) joystick and throttle with a dozen programmable buttons on it. That's as much modding as I'll ever do.

You can do quite a lot with the free version of Fusion360, here’s my Hawker Hurricane modelling project:
47DB746B-6326-48F4-B253-E7DBC78FA570.jpeg

E1CFA2A5-6F54-4932-9B22-55AEA93DBCD9.jpeg

CE931BEB-F6C0-440D-8FDD-7CD0CA2FF9EF.png
I don’t know anything about how to take a model and have it printed though.

The above was done on my Core i7(?) Dell XPS Laptop, it gets bogged down when I get too many parts in the assembly model but apart from when I put everything together, performance is fine.

Fusion 360 is free for hobbyists. There are a few restrictions but nothing to worry about. You do need a decent computer. 16gb of ram but that is not expensive these days.

Hey @Janger.

I have seen that said elsewhere, but it isn't what I see. I see limitations on the number of files you can use. I've also seen others talking about a coming bait N switch. I'm not thrilled with either outcome.

What other restrictions are there?

Do you happen to know if Fusion 360 can run on an android phone? ;)

In Fusion as a hobbyist you can only have 10 active designs going at a time. That would deter a professional but just look at what @StevSmar is doing! Wow that's really cool. People complain too much in my opinion. It's a very powerful tool with many millions invested in it. I use it all the time and I pay every year. Why do people expect to get this for free? Do you work for free? Anyway you can export a .stl file which the 3d printer silcers take as input. Then 3d print. Simple enough process. The alternatives to fusion are either super duper expensive or open source and challenging to use. I want to be productive and don't have time to waste on opensource buggy platforms. Maybe Freecad has improved a lot from 5 years ago when I picked Fusion to work with. When Fusion changed their hobbyist model to be more restrictive I looked into the alternatives, solid works, bobcad. Nobody would even get back to me on a cost. If you have to ask you can't afford it. There are one or two alternatives, join some airplane group, and you can get solidworks cheap. I think @PeterT might be doing that. I see on this review of various cad packages there is a solid works hobbyist package - I imagine it would have some restrictions too.

In the review he mentions sketchup. That would probably work for a lot of the kind of work we get up to. No CAM and CNC tools though. I want those so Fusion makes sense - CAM is included! If I didn't have Fusion I don't know what I would do for CNC programming. Write it by hand? Like writing programs in assembler. You can. Do you want to? MasterCam, Gibbs Cam, any of those would be thousands per year. All in all I think Fusion is a great package, not bug free, I have a support call in right now. But there is nothing else as good at this price point. Will autodesk make it more restrictive in the future? Maybe they will. I'll deal with that then. For now it's good. I consider it good value and I'm happy to pay the $600 year it costs me. Like my accountant. It's money well spent as the alternatives are unpalatable.

Fusion on the phone? Well sort of - there is an iPhone viewer where I can look at designs. No editing... :) I suspect there is an android version.

People complain too much in my opinion. It's a very powerful tool with many millions invested in it. I use it all the time and I pay every year. Why do people expect to get this for free? Do you work for free?

I very rarely use free software. They have to make money somehow so free stuff is usually riddled with advertizing or some other equally distasteful characteristic. I almost always pay for the full version. I fully appreciate that the authors need to be paid (or rewarded in some way) for their work.

But I confess that I think $600 a year to be totally unreasonable for a hobbies like me. Unless the user is making money using it, $600 a year is $7000 over 10 years - for software! $100 - yes. $600 - no.

But I have no idea what value you get out of it. I'd have zero problems with paying that for a workstation seat in a design shop. The fact is that I paid WAY more than that for Catia seats. I'm not good at remembering numbers, but I seem to recall paying over 10 grand per seat per year 15 years ago. Mind you, that's Catia not Fusion. Maybe Fusion has changed a lot, but I doubt it has the stress, thermal, dynamic, and fluid flow capabilities of Catia. A lot can change in 15 years though. Maybe. I'm wrong about that. Besides, not everyone needs those capabilities or would have the slightest clue how to use them even if they did!

What I do know is that I am retired and farming now. Even 600 a year is simply way too expensive for how much I would use it. I don't even like using a computer anymore! I much prefer pen and paper or my smartphone.

For most businesses, the tools they use have to pay for themselves over time. For most hobbiest's the best we can hope for is value and enjoyment. I'm not in your camp on this one John. I'd never get enough value or enjoyment out of Fusion to pay that much for it.

So that means I'd have to go the freeware route. Does that mean ads?

You also mention an active drawing limit. What does that really mean? It seems artificial with a million ways around it - either that or overly restrictive. It wouldn't work at all if it's 10 saves. But I could easily save files and rename them or move them to keep the total number down. Or perhaps save parts together in one design with multiple (or variable) print views. Which I really don't like either! I'd rather pay for a reduced capabity system of some kind - eg no solids - just surfaces, or a file size limit, or a complexity limit, or a number of elements limit, or or or.

I confess that I'm also afraid of a bait and switch scheme. I'd hate to invest the learning time into something that suddenly switches to an expensive subscription leaving me high and dry.

Yes, I am aware of the android "viewers". I got a copy of my field tile layout from the drainage company and I use that on my android phone in the field to locate tiles and do repairs and modifications. That would be pretty useless for the machine shop. I'm looking for something that frees me from the tyranny of a desktop computer. Perhaps even cloud based like the full featured Microsoft Office Suite and many others. Maybe I'm crazy, but I consider desk top computers to be old school. In my mind, the future is literally in my mind. Perhaps a device in my pocket that projects and manages objects in my head that I can modify at warp speed just by thinking about it!

I'll prolly be dead before that happens. But I have zero doubt that it will. It's not if, it's only when.

For the time being, I want it in my hand to use whenever and wherever I am.

The assembly model I posted images of above has probably 50 models referenced into it. So the 10 active (editable) models is not that much of a hinderance. Other restrictions of the “free” version are:
- (based on what I from about 3/4 of a year ago)
- Only 1 page drawings can be made.
- Only two axis (or three axis?) CAM.
- no edit in place (you can’t edit a model that’s been referenced into a assembly model, while in the assembly model).
- Only STL exporting.
- (Plus other features)
(Of course there is always the risk that AutoDesk will reduce further the functionality of their free version)

For my hobby, which is modelling only, the free version is fine.

If I was actively using Fusion360 then I’d pay for a license. The model above represents probably 300-500 hours of bliss over a couple of years? So I have no problem paying AutoDesk $2 to $5 per hour for the fun I’ve been having. (I’m not actively playing with my Hurricane model, because I’ve not got a lathe…(and other projects)).

Normally at the end of each year there is a special that has quite a discount. @Janger I‘m interested in knowing if once you have a subscription whether there are also discounts when you renew?

My recommendation is to start out with the free version. Once you learn how to use it then make the decision on whether this is something that makes sense to go to the paid version.

You will (likely) need a decent computer, don’t forget the 3D mouse which I find essential (I use the 3Dconnexion space mouse navigator (the basic wired mouse that doesn’t appear to be available any more)
(I pretty much bought a new laptop just to start playing with Fusion, Fusion will probably run fine on a slower computer, especially when you’re starting out and your models aren’t that complicated)

Last edited:
Ok, I'll give it a whirl - cautiously.

I refuse to put it on my desktop. But I'm pretty sure I have an i7 laptop around here somewhere that should run it.

I'll have to use extreme self control to prevent my Catia experience from poisoning me.

Do you know if it can import 2D drawings from FastCad/EasyCad?

I have tried 6 different CAD programs as a novice, including Fusion 360. My experience has been ,well, not so good.

All of it is my fault. I was trying to run on a 8GB i5 2600 with poor heat sink. Even Fusion360 behaves erratically. You need at least 32 GB to run Fusion *well*, even though I've heard the 16GB recommendation regularly. Win 10 takes too much memory nowadays (not to mention the super memory hog Winn11)

Given those constraints, and help from the crew here, Fusion 360 seems to be the way to go.

On the freeware front, no ads, no mess, but I have found several packages too buggy for my use the worst offender being Freecad. I cannot get through a model before losing it.

Last edited:
…You need at least 32 GB to run Fusion *well*, even though I've heard the 16GB recommendation regularly.…
On Win10, I was thinking of upgrading from 16Gb and installing 32Gb, but after looking at my system resources I was only at about 50% memory usage. So I decided to stick with 16Gb and get 32 on my next laptop upgrade in a few years time.

…I'll have to use extreme self control to prevent my Catia experience from poisoning me.…
That’s going to be the most frustrating part. It took me a long time to unlearn my AutoCAD memory and translate it to Fusion 360… Even two years later I’d sometimes slip back to using an AutoCAD keyboard command…

(One other option is if you’re a member of EAA, you can get a free license of Solidworks. I don’t know the functionality of that version and the risks it will one day become un-free. I was already too far along the Fusion 360 path and I reasoned that if either the free Solidworks or Fusion 360 went away, I’d much rather be in the Fusion 360 camp since it’s non-discounted license was less costly).

@StevSmar I may be running a lot of stuff in the background that you aren't. At any given time I'm over 100 active processes. VPN, antivirus, firewall, active application monitoring, etc.

There are one or two alternatives, join some airplane group, and you can get solidworks cheap. I think @PeterT might be doing that. I see on this review of various cad packages there is a solid works hobbyist package - I imagine it would have some restrictions too.
Re SW, by airplane group you likely mean the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association). If you were an EAA member (which I understand was quite inexpensive), you were able to get a Solidworks seat for free or some nominal, token value. The only other price reduction deals were active student (in accredited program at accredited institution) or military veteran. I believe in all cases they rigorously validated your claimed status, it wasn't just a check box on the order form.

My understanding is this all changed the past year when they introduced their SW Maker version. This has been discussed elsewhere but to summarize, the aforementioned deals are dead or about to be & will be replaced by the Maker version. It might be a viable mode for some, but some details are sill dangling in the wind. Its inexpensive (like 100USD). AFAIK the program executables are still resident on your PC. So are the files but the dirty little secret seems to be you first upload them to their cloud platform. So aside form the collaboration warm & fuzzy talk, is also the mechanism by which they embed a tag of some sort. And that why they don't care if you save on your PC, which is different than other (but not all) cloud based apps. ie. the files would only load if you were paid up & they have control. Personally I don't find this as onerous as other apps where everything is resident on the cloud & essentially working off the cloud. The only other SW stipulation were Makers were defined as having less than some $ revenue cap which would be totally fine for any legit hobbyist. I don't think there was a SW cap to number of files or size of files or any of that.

I don't know the exact parallels of SW-Maker to Fusion free vs Fusion paid. Again, AFAIK, running SW your PC would have to be up to snuff hardware wise in order to run the program properly. Just a fact of life no matter what kind of app. Win-7 is no longer supported, only Win-10+. I think the way some programs appear to work regardless of OS or PC/Mac platform is basically they are an online app. That may be fine for certain model sizes but I can see that bogging down with more complex models or larger multi-part assemblies.

On Win10, I was thinking of upgrading from 16Gb and installing 32Gb, but after looking at my system resources I was only at about 50% memory usage. So I decided to stick with 16Gb and get 32 on my next laptop upgrade in a few years time.
When it comes to 3D-CAD at least, RAM is only one aspect of prerequisites. You also have to have an appropriate processor and graphics card. And a strong gamer card is not the same as a appropriate card for graphic processing. Unfortunately this messaging glossed over or lost even among the software vendors because if the App works, even barely on the simplest of 3D models, then technically they aren't lying. The hook is sunk & now all that's left is for you to upgrade or replace your PC as required. That doesn't cost them any money. If someone is telling you they have a screaming laptop running CAD then a) its 2D CAD which is a completely different animal & anything will run that these days b) its online app but now other factors enter the picture more related to data transfer c) its a relatively simple model and/or assembly of parts d) it really is a screaming laptop & generally costs more

Guys I know this has drifted off deep into CAD stuff which we have a specific sub-forum for.

Last edited:
Yes, that’s true about a graphics card, I made sure my laptop had a dedicated graphics card in addition to the on motherboard card.

Coincidentally I received this email today, summarizes some of the difference between free and paid:
36E978D8-52CA-4830-8504-F830ADB00BA0.jpeg

My Lenovo p50 thinkpad is excellent for 3d cad, and programming. It has a Quadro card, 32mb ram, can't remember other specs as it's over a few years old now. It was somewhere around 3k I can't remember now. I bought it specifically for a cad/cam consulting business that lasted exactly long enough to pay for the laptop and a nice dinner lol.

It's not as good as my desktop at work, but it's still really pretty good. Nice working from home on the couch with another screen on side table sometimes. Tough to pry away from the kids watching minecraft videos these days though lol

You can get cad capable laptops, but they're not $300 at best buy.

Back