Stuart’s big dumb lathe

Martin w

Yep, it’s a #4. Very much appreciate the thought, though.

Damn. Now I’m thinking about how nice a carbide tipped live centre would be…
I will look tomorrow and see if I have a #4. I believe mine are all #5 though. The carbide tipped one is a dead center.
Martin

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Damn. Now I’m thinking about how nice a carbide tipped live centre would be…

Only way to go. 2nd choice is non-carbide live center.

I'm not a fan of dead centers in the tailstock. Only in the spindle or when they turn with the work like a live center would.

Dead centers do work just fine with a bit of grease or oil but why buy both kinds?

Last edited:

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member

I'm not a fan of dead centers in the tailstock. Only in the spindle or when they turn with the work like a live center would.

Dead centers do work just fine with a bit of grease or oil but why buy both kinds?
Meh...I use both. Dead centers can be more accurate, have less stick-out, less chatter, much easier to true. I will use them for speeds under 250rpm.

Martin w

I have a little can of grease from my Dad's toolbox. Works awesome on a dead center. I'm sure it is lead based though. Hence the reason I never use it.
Martin