Stuart’s big dumb lathe

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Very nice unit and move, Not to nit pick but your chain fall is missing its latch and or does not have one from the get go, I have seen such units - mostly in ancient sawmills. Refrain from pulling on it sideways or jiggling your load as it can and or will slide out. I like your captn morgan stance, You will only do that once near heavy equipment. Up until that moment the rigging rails.
I have been apart of and witnessed both situations.

This is no way criticism or poking, just some thing I wanted to throw out there for whom ever !
Yep, I'm not a huge "safety" person per se, but watched a 2000 pound piece of glass get smashed because of poor rigging and the safety latch not able to close properly around the rigging

Stuart Samuel

Premium Member
Time to start using bacon fat for cutting fluid.....:p
Seriously......it's recommended in some older books for threading on the lathe. :cool:
I keep meaning to try kerosene, recommended in some books.

Actually, I ordered some of that GreenCut water soluble oil for work, tired of the Fastenal house brand we’ve been using. Called the company in Alberta, ended up on the phone with their chemical engineer, who would drink the stuff as a demonstration (says he’s in fine health, and in his 70’s). I made the mistake of telling my coworkers it’s lemon scented, now they want to know what other flavours it comes in.

Stuart Samuel

Premium Member
Actually, on the kerosene note, what do people use to clean up grungy machines? I’m not interested in making it new, just somewhat less filthy. At work I’ll use lacquer thinner, because it’s available, but it gradually softens the paint, and sometimes works grime into it. I feel like I’ve seen manuals where they recommend wiping a new machine down with kerosene.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I use Super Clean (from Can’T or PA) on tractor, lawnmower, etc - also works great on car tires. But not sure if it is hard on paint. Spray on, let sit for couple minutes (but not dry) then pressurer wash off.
On your mill the pressurer washer part is not so good. I always make sure to get it all off with lots of water. I don’t think degreaser residue would be good for any paint. So for your mill I’d use varsol or kerosene or WD40 (in that order, strongest to safest)

Martin w

That is a great lathe!
I use Varsol, and one of those canisters from PA that you fill and pump it with air from the compressor. Keep nice clean varsol all the time, no evaporation when you are not using it. Works great.
Is it a #5 Morse in the tailstock? I have an extra #5 live center and also a brand-new carbide tipped dead center #5 you can have. I also have a 4-way tool post you can have, but it is for a 12" lathe I believe. I don't get to Toronto very much, so if you are ever in Niagara they are here. If someone local is going to the GTA, I could send them with them as well.
Now the bad. When the skid steer lifted it, it started pissing oil everywhere under the headstock, so I need to figure out what’s going on there.

It came with almost no tooling, so I’m on the hunt for a four-jaw chuck (D1-6), a quick-change tool post, a tailstock chuck and live center… etc. etc.

No followers, either. :/

Ways are in very good condition, though, and spindle bore is a bit over 2”. :)

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If someone local is going to the GTA,
You and Stuart can work out the arrangement or which items he’d like and I can pick them up. I’ll be in St Catharines next week (meeting a previous work colleague from Rankin Construction) and also I plan to see Stuart next weekend. Nice when the starts line up. Send me a PM if Stuart and you need me to do the delivery.

Martin w

I got one last week on sale at PA - have not tried it yet. May just get another one. Not only saves buying aerosol cans but you can make-up your own mix.
Zep spray bottles work pretty good too.
They were on sale last week. I bought another one for a spare. We use them in the millwork shop for cleaning contact cement residue with solvent. The best thing is no evaporation when you aren’t using it..
Martin

Stuart Samuel

Premium Member
That is a great lathe!
I use Varsol, and one of those canisters from PA that you fill and pump it with air from the compressor. Keep nice clean varsol all the time, no evaporation when you are not using it. Works great.
Is it a #5 Morse in the tailstock? I have an extra #5 live center and also a brand-new carbide tipped dead center #5 you can have. I also have a 4-way tool post you can have, but it is for a 12" lathe I believe. I don't get to Toronto very much, so if you are ever in Niagara they are here. If someone local is going to the GTA, I could send them with them as well.
Pretty sure it’s a #4, unfortunately. I want to borrow a chuck from work and confirm, I’ll let you know later today.

Stuart Samuel

Premium Member
I use Super Clean (from Can’T or PA) on tractor, lawnmower, etc - also works great on car tires. But not sure if it is hard on paint. Spray on, let sit for couple minutes (but not dry) then pressurer wash off.
On your mill the pressurer washer part is not so good. I always make sure to get it all off with lots of water. I don’t think degreaser residue would be good for any paint. So for your mill I’d use varsol or kerosene or WD40 (in that order, strongest to safest)

I guess I could wheel my lathe outside for a bath…

I’m picturing becoming a neighborhood eccentric, who takes his lathe for walks, like Salvador Dali and his anteater.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I like super clean too. Solvents and petro chemicals are toxic and potentially flammable - don't get them on your skin or breathe the fumes.That is similar to drinking sips of it. Gloves...charcoal filter respirators... I stay away if possible. Ultrasonic cleaners are another approach but your part has to fit in the machine of course. What about steam cleaning with those plug in kettle like devices? Are they effective? Slow?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I honestly wonder how many of us are the neighborhood eccentric......:D

I know beyond any shadow of doubt that I am. Even my wife thinks that.

As for getting things super clean, I almost never do that. A certain amount of oil or dirt film is a great protection barrier. I only deep clean if I need chemical adhesion for some process like glue or paint.

Stuart Samuel

Premium Member
That is a great lathe!
That is a great lathe!
Yep, it’s a #4. Very much appreciate the thought, though.

Damn. Now I’m thinking about how nice a carbide tipped live centre would be…