• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Starting my first furnace

Murdoch

I should add that this was a great experience for me.
I only wish I had more cash to burn lol.
$500.00 would have set me on the right path...

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Sodium silicate can be made from silica crystals (cat litter) and sodium hydroxide (drain cleaner). Perlite is cheap from the garden store. PPE required for sodium hydroxide!
How big of furnace did you make and how much sodium silicate did it take?
I’ve read about making your own but wonder how much effort it takes.

I used furnace cement which is sodium silicate mixed with sand. It worked but was fairly costly.

Murdoch

Been a while since. I have a question about the propane regulator. I've seen on YouTube that folks use a high pressure regulator, as the low pressure BBQ regulators are just too low. That being said, can I use a high pressure regulator if I am using forced air? Also should I get a regulator with a gauge.
Lastly I was originally going to recycle my kiln for my furnace. But now I am thinking that it's pretty big, now if I down size to a smaller furnace I can use materials saved from the smaller furnace to make a forge as well. Here's the question, can I have a furnace and a forge and just have one burner to change from one to another. Thanks guys for valued input...

Johnwa

Ultra Member
The regulator allows you to set a consistent flow regardless of the tank pressure. I use a gage, I start a melt at pretty low pressure. Once everything is warm and the aluminum starts to melt then I increase the pressure a bit. (I burnt a hole in a steel crucible before I learnt this!)
I don’t have a forge but from internet research a forge burner needs a flared end for a stable flame. If the flare is removable the burner can then be used in a melting furnace.

Murdoch

20180310_123655.jpg
This is my burner that I was going to use. There is a flare, but are you suggesting that I can't use this for my furnace?

Johnwa

Ultra Member
You don’t need a flare for it to work in a furnace, but it will likely work with one as well.
It’s easier to get an airtight fit into the furnace without the flare though.
Here’s a picture of mine.

Attachments

• D5B07425-D029-413A-9FD0-F4FB6E5A18EA.jpeg
    D5B07425-D029-413A-9FD0-F4FB6E5A18EA.jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 9

Murdoch

You don’t need a flare for it to work in a furnace, but it will likely work with one as well.
It’s easier to get an airtight fit into the furnace without the flare though.
Here’s a picture of mine.
So no guess it's just simpler to make a separate burner.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I have what John has - but with more brass. I have a flare. What you have is huge.

I just got electric furnace. I see how that works. For metal hardening and maybe melting aluminium and brass.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Nice burner! I would say it should work fine in both, its about mounting in my opinion, i would say keep the flame horizontal rather than vertical, having used both its just simpler as fire burns ^

Yes high pressure regulators can both include and have guages added, i got the cheapest regulator and the guage hole came with a plug

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I have a gauge on mine but it is el-cheapie and a don't trust the reading to be 'real' but it is consistent meaning that it i run it at 18psi and that is a good hot flame that melts aluminum without flameouts and dragons breath

Tom- I also have an electric furnace and I use it in winter and it handles aluminum easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk