• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Starting my first furnace

Murdoch

20180228_034712.png
I am considering purchasing this kiln so that I can refit it as a furnace. Any thoughts on this would be great.
I also picked up a PrincessAuto 500,000BTU burner.
Now I was originally going to go traditional with the can lined with fire brick and mortar but I came across this kiln and thought this could work. Hoping for feedback from the PRO'S. Thanks in advance...

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I use a homemade electric kiln to melt in the winter months, it'll work fine for aluminum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
833da74247fba451beb93b7337caf114.jpg

30de8ebd7966b0f162012b946271008d.jpg

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
In the photos above, I was using it to anneal a hardened center so I could machine it easier

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
My assumption is that your kiln was electric...... I don't know if the firebrick will withstand a burner.... my firebrick was the hard type, some kilns have the soft brick which does t hold up as well

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Looks like the stuff they have at KMS once in a while. I just have few bricks and a home made propane burner to melt some aluminium. Maybe if I use it more I get something more professional.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
My furnace has a base, middle and top section. I have another middle section that is just refractory (no brick) that accepts a burner, I just swap out the middle when I want to use propane which is as soon as the weather turns warm

Murdoch

Just got in from picking up my kiln, and I didn't have to sell a kidney to get it.
$20.00 What a deal!!!

Murdoch

My kiln has no electronics and I need to make a burner. Some tips for this would be appreciated.
I did pick up a brick sample from a local supplier. 9"×4.5"×1.25 very heavy for its size and the supplier tells me that they are used for pizza ovens. It cost me $2.00

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
I made a Reil style burner (just google reil burner -- pour a nice beverage and have a good chair because there is a lot of video on the variations). I used 1" gas pipe with some brass fittings etc. The only 'special' tools is a specific 'numbered' drill bit for the propane. I made my flare from some sheet metal.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I bought some of those light weight, super high insulating bricks from this place. They are used to build custom ceramic kilns which I imagine is more in line with molten metal requirements? I think they sell the HT mortar as well http://www.ceramicscanada.net/
I'm just using them as background insulation to torch up occasional tool steel, I know zip about the molten metal business. But I think 'fire' bricks might be one of those - means different things to different people. I'm pretty sure the heavier ones you see for lining fireplaces etc. are not the same as kilns?

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I use the light white bricks for melting pots from time to time they work great but can be very brittle and require gentle handling, molten metal does not stick but dross and other contaminants will

Murdoch

20180302_161511.jpg 20180303_100140.jpg 20180304_173749.jpg
Well I thought that I would use this Princess Auto torch for my burner.
This is what I believe to be the wrong brick.
This is the burner setup that I'll be using.
Waiting on the tax man to bless me so that I may make a trip to Smelko foundry supply for a ceramic blanket, castable refractory and the proper brick...

Murdoch

I'm in Toronto and down the road in Milton is Smelko.
As I am told Tim Smelko the owner will give you a guided tour.
Everyone in this end of the woods swears by this place.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I just use the fiber blanket with the zircon coating available at ceramics canada it was about $100.00 for a small container but there are better deals out there on the net for it. The blanket heats up faster as there is no sidewalls made of concrete to heat up Ironman in his videos melts iron with it although he uses a blower system with out a blower you are at aluminum or brass heatwise.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Sorry he's Ironman at MadModders on youtube he's luckygen1001 he does aluminum to cast iron showing the casting and pattern making both easy and harder its worth taking a look. There is also one for building a furnace.