Standard Modern Project $1200

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

Hey Craig, postal Code of L8H 3L2 puts this sale right in the heart of the industrial area according to google maps. As a word of caution I would advise interested parties check this out first. Just saying!

@YotaBota "if all the parts are there" is a big if. I almost went down to have a look but then decided not to waste his or my time. I don't need another lathe project right now. If anyone here is interested I might be able to have a look for you. It's pretty close to where I live.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Brent H - can you tell by the geartrain if it's metric? The threading dial will tell you but there is no pic of the apron.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@YotaBota : The gear box is off so can’t really see - my guess is that is a standard lathe- I may see if I can go check it out - it is a 2 hour drive though and things are busy. Just finished a cabinet job and have some welding jobs this week and then back to work - LOL

@Canadium - if you took a look and the lathe is metric and complete - I would make an offer.

The trick in my opinion is knowing if it's complete. I am not as intimately familiar with this lathe as I am with 9A South Bends. Iay not be able to tell if some critical small pieces are missing until I go to assemble the lathe.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
By geartrain I meant the gears on the end of the headstock. I thought maybe the diameter of the gears might be a clue.
@Canadium - If you do go for a look and have time, try to lay out everything he has and take pictures. From there we should have a good idea if it's complete or not. Tailstock,,, make sure there's a tailstock,,lol
There are quite a few of those lathes for sale in Ont right now and they're getting up there in price.
I believe this ad shows the same machine complete;
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tool-other/st-catharines/standard-modern-10-20-metal-lathe/1589439306

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Why no picture from the front? This is a very strange way to show the lathe - no picture of the ways.

If one is close one could take a look but without all parts at least shown the offer should be for 12 cents to lbs - I.e. closer to $100. If some more important things are missing its basically trash.

Brent H

Ultra Member
In negotiations to go see this lathe. Might be a project. I can pretty much build anything for the lathe and have several gears in hand. If I do buy it - look for a nice lathe for sale - :p

Brent H

Ultra Member
So I hope to be heading to Stoney Creek tomorrow to see/pick up this lathe. It was “inherited” as a project so that may be good, bad or ?

I will post pictures if I do buy it. If it is in good condition with all the parts I hope to have it good to go early in the new year.

So I hope to be heading to Stoney Creek tomorrow to see/pick up this lathe. It was “inherited” as a project so that may be good, bad or ?

I will post pictures if I do buy it. If it is in good condition with all the parts I hope to have it good to go early in the new year.
If you need any help just let me know.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Seller delayed visit until tomorrow - I asked for some additional pics - if the tailstock is missing I think I would blow a gasket - LOL.

Brent H

Ultra Member
06E50068-17D4-48A6-9D02-7B4B4887A824.jpeg 6184BE3E-CF41-4668-8234-9D4388552359.jpeg I bought it! It’s in the shop right now awaiting its turn to be re-assembled and then…….ah man….

So this is a full metric 10” Utilathe. Doesn’t seem to have seen huge use. Dirty but otherwise in very good condition. Needs a new cross feed nut and I have to make a couple other things.

It is missing the threading dial. Might need to make this. Perhaps @RobinHood will assist me with some pics of the apparatus.

Here are a couple pics - I fly out to NS tomorrow so can’t do much ….

I guess they get added at the start?