• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Standard Modern Project $1200

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

Hey Craig, postal Code of L8H 3L2 puts this sale right in the heart of the industrial area according to google maps. As a word of caution I would advise interested parties check this out first. Just saying!

@YotaBota "if all the parts are there" is a big if. I almost went down to have a look but then decided not to waste his or my time. I don't need another lathe project right now. If anyone here is interested I might be able to have a look for you. It's pretty close to where I live.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Brent H - can you tell by the geartrain if it's metric? The threading dial will tell you but there is no pic of the apron.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@YotaBota : The gear box is off so can’t really see - my guess is that is a standard lathe- I may see if I can go check it out - it is a 2 hour drive though and things are busy. Just finished a cabinet job and have some welding jobs this week and then back to work - LOL

@Canadium - if you took a look and the lathe is metric and complete - I would make an offer.

The trick in my opinion is knowing if it's complete. I am not as intimately familiar with this lathe as I am with 9A South Bends. Iay not be able to tell if some critical small pieces are missing until I go to assemble the lathe.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
By geartrain I meant the gears on the end of the headstock. I thought maybe the diameter of the gears might be a clue.
@Canadium - If you do go for a look and have time, try to lay out everything he has and take pictures. From there we should have a good idea if it's complete or not. Tailstock,,, make sure there's a tailstock,,lol
There are quite a few of those lathes for sale in Ont right now and they're getting up there in price.
I believe this ad shows the same machine complete;
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tool-other/st-catharines/standard-modern-10-20-metal-lathe/1589439306

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Why no picture from the front? This is a very strange way to show the lathe - no picture of the ways.

If one is close one could take a look but without all parts at least shown the offer should be for 12 cents to lbs - I.e. closer to $100. If some more important things are missing its basically trash.

Brent H

Ultra Member
In negotiations to go see this lathe. Might be a project. I can pretty much build anything for the lathe and have several gears in hand. If I do buy it - look for a nice lathe for sale - :p

Brent H

Ultra Member
So I hope to be heading to Stoney Creek tomorrow to see/pick up this lathe. It was “inherited” as a project so that may be good, bad or ?

I will post pictures if I do buy it. If it is in good condition with all the parts I hope to have it good to go early in the new year.

So I hope to be heading to Stoney Creek tomorrow to see/pick up this lathe. It was “inherited” as a project so that may be good, bad or ?

I will post pictures if I do buy it. If it is in good condition with all the parts I hope to have it good to go early in the new year.
If you need any help just let me know.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Seller delayed visit until tomorrow - I asked for some additional pics - if the tailstock is missing I think I would blow a gasket - LOL.

Brent H

Ultra Member
06E50068-17D4-48A6-9D02-7B4B4887A824.jpeg 6184BE3E-CF41-4668-8234-9D4388552359.jpeg I bought it! It’s in the shop right now awaiting its turn to be re-assembled and then…….ah man….

So this is a full metric 10” Utilathe. Doesn’t seem to have seen huge use. Dirty but otherwise in very good condition. Needs a new cross feed nut and I have to make a couple other things.

It is missing the threading dial. Might need to make this. Perhaps @RobinHood will assist me with some pics of the apparatus.

Here are a couple pics - I fly out to NS tomorrow so can’t do much ….

I guess they get added at the start?