Standard Modern Project $1200

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice score Brent.

I have sold my Metric SM1340. So I no longer have direct access to the lathe. It may be possible to get the new owner to help you out with measurements and detailed pictures of the thread dial.

I think I do have some pictures.

I still have an electronic copy of the manual; it has the blueprint of the threading dial. No dimensions are given, it is isometric, but they give enough fastener info to reverse engineer it - if required.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I guess they get added at the start?

Sorry, not following here.

If you are referring to the threading dial, on the metric lathes they are external to the apron and can be added at any time after re-assembly of the lead screw/feed rod/apron/saddle. Just held in place by a single bolt. Location of the bolt in the housing is determined by the thread pitch you are cutting.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Sorry @RobinHood - I was referring to the pictures. I put them at the end like normal and they popped up at the start of the thread ….

For the gear train of the metric dial I was hoping for some info on the gearing - like is it DP or MOD. Seems like the lead screw is the 7/8” x 4 mm pitch. I have the drawings for the 1120 Utilathe and might get close on a build.

Can you recall Rudy if the gears were just a normal spur gear with a relief bevel on the bottom edge?

057D9E4C-BC30-4CF7-809A-1DC606C71222.png

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sorry Brent, I never looked at the gears that closely to determine what size (DP, MOD, etc) they were. The tooth shape seemed to match the lead angle on the lead screw very well.

I’ll see if I can get some info when I see the new owner of the lathe.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
You got a tailstock,,,,,,, now you want a thread dial as well,,,don't be greedy,,,lol lol lol

Good to see this one going to a good home, good on you.
I'll dig into my stuff and see if I have anything on the threading dial.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@YYCHM - I picked it up for $950.

Note that it does need a few things - like a hand wheel for the apron, a new cross feed nut, a threading dial, a few items re-made. And there was no tooling other than a tool post and the original three jaw.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Johnwa : do you still have the lathe with the threading dial I am looking to possibly fab?

Would you be able to take some pictures and measurements?

Johnwa

Ultra Member
@Johnwa : do you still have the lathe with the threading dial I am looking to possibly fab?

Would you be able to take some pictures and measurements?
I‘m off to Vancouver for a week. I’ll take pictures and measurements when I get back.
I’ve only cut one metric thread and didn’t use the dial. I left the half nuts closed and reversed to get back to the start.

Congratulations on your new project!

gmihovics

Garrett
I was tempted to buy this lathe but I was concerned I wouldnt have the tools or knowledge to restore it. Glad to see it went to someone in the forum. Now if you want to restore it and sell it, well I might just know a buyer ;)

Assuming my wife is letting me spend money again that is.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@gmihovics : I will keep that in mind - definitely give you first dibs. I restored a “standard” 10” Utilathe - project is well documented on this site under Restoration of a 10” Utilathe.

That lathe I completely rebuilt including all bearings and seals, bushings, half nut, cross feed screw, tailstock line bored etc etc

This lathe is in great shape. Gears look great - some evidence of a hard piece passing through the saddle - but no great damage. The oil scraping is still on the cross slide gib:

5E56F920-041A-464A-81D5-59DD1F5C90DA.jpeg

I was able to tear a few parts off before I left home - the cross feed but I need to remake - it is terrible, but the feed screw is great. There are a few gits oilers to replace and a few missing things - the cir clip that retains the shear pin for the GBX drive gear is missing. A steel pin was in and peened over - tsk tsk

I will start a refirb thread for this lathe I guess and add a bunch of pics I took before I left.

@Johnwa : that would be super great if you can send a few pics and measurements. I will open the refirb thread as a place to put them. Thank you!!

Brent H

Ultra Member
Put all your new comments here: