• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Standard-Modern lathe

Nice lathe.

I have those parts, however I don’t want to part with them. I upgraded to ball screws however I always keep all the original parts. It would not be all that tricky to make a new parts assuming you have the old damaged parts.

If you don’t mind sharing, how much did you pay for your lathe, and where did you source it?
 
Was it difficult to change to ball screws
Not too difficult , but I decided to go one size up instead of one size down compared to the original so getting the nut squeezed in there was somewhat challenging. If doing it again, I would go one size down it would be a lot easier. The problem for you would be the difference in thread pitch, that would throw off your dial graduations. That was not an issue for me because of CNC conversion.

Sure beats winning the fuzzy dice at the draw
 
Not too difficult , but I decided to go one size up instead of one size down compared to the original so getting the nut squeezed in there was somewhat challenging. If doing it again, I would go one size down it would be a lot easier. The problem for you would be the difference in thread pitch, that would throw off your dial graduations. That was not an issue for me because of CNC conversion.

Sure beats winning the fuzzy dice at the draw
Thanks for the info, dro will fix the dial issue I guess. I’ll look into it.
 
Not too difficult , but I decided to go one size up instead of one size down compared to the original so getting the nut squeezed in there was somewhat challenging. If doing it again, I would go one size down it would be a lot easier. The problem for you would be the difference in thread pitch, that would throw off your dial graduations. That was not an issue for me because of CNC conversion.
Did you take any photos of the change over?
 
Did you take any photos of the change over?

I should have, but don’t think I did. I will check.

The cross slide just takes a few minutes to remove and once you flip it over on the bench everything is easy to access. The slot for the nut is fairly narrow and is a raw casting so the width of the slot was not perfectly consistent. I cleaned up the squareness of the slot with a Dremil tool. I should have thrown it on the mill (would have been faster/better). There is a lot of material to the sides, that I could have machined wider but I didn’t want to compromise the rigidity. When doing CNC conversions I prefer to not machine any of the original cast iron to allow a complete restoration to original if desired in the future. So far on the four conversions, I have only had to drill and tap a few mounting holes.

Only because I upsized, the mounting block for the nut was really tight, I ended up grinding most of the flange portion of the nut off and then the top portion that accepts the mounting bolt from above had just enough material. If I had down sized, there would have been more room; top and either side.

One other thing, the original lead screw is left hand thread, while the generic (read cheap), ball screw is right hand thread, which is irrelevant when driving with a servo.
 
Last edited:
I hate the fact that I have to source a part that I could easily make if I had access to a lathe and mill. I hate to ask what they charged you for it
 
I hate the fact that I have to source a part that I could easily make if I had access to a lathe and mill. I hate to ask what they charged you for it
It was a couple of years ago, but I thank only about $250.
They did a really nice job. My machining capabilities were definitely not up to what they needed to be to make it.
I priced out a new cross screw from Standard Modern to the price of over $1000. 😵
 
Back
Top