• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

standard modern 9 inch utilathe 1960 approx model part needed

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I had been in Victoria about a month when that happened and remember it now. I didn't know him but there was a few of us in the club house the next day trying to figure out what happened thinking how it could have been any of us. Condolences.

ken holliday

novice - just learning
small world! never ever even tried to determine who was at fault - 4 deaths ,nothing to gain if it was determined

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Wasn't me asking but those look like the factory legs, and it's colourful :)
I put my lathe on a HD 9 drawer cabinet.

Attachments

• Utilathe.JPG
    Utilathe.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 6

ken holliday

novice - just learning
Question for someone - My handbook for the 9 inch utilathe says to drain and flush the spindle gear box - I did find the drain ( thanks for the picture) and the handbook says to put "light mixing oil" and a bit of kerosene in the gear box, run for awhile , drain and refill with sae 30
I am ok for all except Q - what is "light mixing oil" ?? is that just plain mineral oil or , a sae 5 or ?

Happy new year to all

Brent H

Ultra Member
Yes, like a light oil - 5w and some kerosene, diesel etc - just to flush contamination- however, typically the spindle box is not subjected to a lot of crap - run it for a while with the original oil to warm things up, drain into a clean container (I use something with a white bottom) and see what you have draining out. If it is pretty clean and no metallic particles, I will just add some clean oil with the drain open to flush a bit, then fill up with the 30w. Remember that these Utilathes were supplied to schools, military, industry to work - us home dudes will not typically drive the lathe to its limits and also, lubes and such have greatly increased in quality since 1950’s.

ken holliday

novice - just learning
thanks, i kind of thought was the case, i will need to buy some kerosene, we did have some for lamps but i think it got tossed out, and a liter of SAE5 . I did drain the spindle box into a white conatainer and there was a but of sludge so i will do the light oil wash and reassemble I did not find the leak yet, don't think it is the cover, maybe seals of the spindle shaft ? it is not serious leak so i would not try to take apart and fix

Brent H

Ultra Member
Regarding leaks in your lathe: mine (Utilathe 10x20) had leaks all over - it is designed to. The end bearing for the feed, pump in oil till it leaks. The gear box, totally open on the back - oil drips no matter what. Gears in the back, oil drips all over. Only real problem I would have is with a leak behind the spindle (there is a hole to return oil to the casing) or oil spraying out all the time. - granted drain plugs shouldn’t leak). If the “leak” is from a normal bushing area - no worries. Worry when there is no oil leaking

ken holliday

novice - just learning
That does not seem right! The feed gear assembly that was stuck is open on the bottom, the gear box for the chuck is the one that is closed , has a window to see oil level and prevent over filling.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Yes, the gear box for the spindle is all contained- should not be leaking. But everything else is pretty much fair game

Brent H

Ultra Member
@YYCHobbyMachinist make sure your line levels are good and go from there. I have a couple absorbent pads in the drip tray and I monitor the levels, not a lot really comes out. Seems like a mess sometimes but kinda like a new mom freaking out about her baby throwing up, seems like a big mess but is not really as much as you think ....

ken holliday

novice - just learning
a little oil goes a long way in making a mess! this dang covid sure hampers my shopping for supplys, i have to go to walmart tomorrow anyway so will look for 5w oil and kerosene there

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Peavy Mart is another source for kerosene, bought a jug there for a portable heater i have.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
If you google "varsol or Kerosene" you'll get the conflicting reports. As it's only going to be in the machine for a very short time and very thinned out, I think they're similar enough that it won't matter. The nasty thinners, lacquer and such, are the ones to stay away from. My 2cents.

ken holliday

novice - just learning
the handbook seems to treat Varsol and Kerosene as same but says to not use solvents

i will not have the kerosene in there long(let it run in slower range for 4 minutes)mixed with mineral oil, then drain and replac ewith SAE30, make a new gasket and close up

ken holliday

novice - just learning
here is the attachment i made - very rough but it works, i made it to sharpen wood chisels and plane blades- i find it pits a great edge on my pen knifes

Attachments

• IMG_0536.JPG
    IMG_0536.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 23