• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

standard modern 9 inch utilathe 1960 approx model part needed

ken holliday

novice - just learning
Many thanks - this novice is willing bto learn and hopes to make lots of mistakes- once, guess i did my once! i have an antiuque wood lathe, keep it in garage at cottage and cottage is closed for winter ( plumbing freezes as lines exposed) it neeeds some work i can do on the metal lathe, design and makea live center, replace bushings on drive, new chuck to hold work , should keep me occupied for the summer

ken holliday

novice - just learning
i seem to have a warped gear or bent shaft in the gearbox I have amanual parts show on page 9, -15 through 22 , do you have one for sale? or know where i can get one
see later post and video, cleaned and working now, to be reinstalled tomorrow WISH ME LUCK!

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
GOOD LUCK:D
Don't forget the pin attaching the lead screw to the coupler is tapered. The taper in the coupler and lead screw have to match for the pin to seat properly.

ken holliday

novice - just learning
The lathe is back together!! and never ran so smooth! The cleaning got rid of many years of accumulation, my assist was great nephew! He put the gear box in a parts washer , used cleaner like carb cleaner in spray form, while turning it slowly with a cordless 1/2 inch drill, used 3 cans of cleaner! said metal filling and dirt and likely some oil soaked saw dust from the fine sanding i was doing!! Lesson learned!! I won't do that again.

i would still like to track down someone who is tearing a duplicte lather apart and would sell some gears or ? from theirs Merry Christmas to all

ken holliday

novice - just learning
i have read the operators handbook for my lathe( 9 inch Utilathe) and now with the gear change assembly working so smooth i know i should drain and clean and change oil in the gearhead assembly. Does anyone know if there is a drain plug? I kmow i can access it from the top , soak up oil with rags, put in cleaner ( distillite, or light oil, run a bit and soak up then put SAE 30 in the gear box to level indicator glass. I plug would be great if there is one... I know the gear box leaks oil and i have been refilling with various on hand oils, it has automatic transmission fluid in it now.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
i have read the operators handbook for my lathe( 9 inch Utilathe) and now with the gear change assembly working so smooth i know i should drain and clean and change oil in the gearhead assembly. Does anyone know if there is a drain plug? I kmow i can access it from the top , soak up oil with rags, put in cleaner ( distillite, or light oil, run a bit and soak up then put SAE 30 in the gear box to level indicator glass. I plug would be great if there is one... I know the gear box leaks oil and i have been refilling with various on hand oils, it has automatic transmission fluid in it now.

I assume you are talking about the headstock?

HSDRAIN1.jpg

Does your machine not have this drain plug? Where is you headstock leaking from?

ken holliday

novice - just learning
YES AND THANK YOU! i don't know where exactly the leak is, When i get it all cleaned and refilled I will look more for the leak, It is such a slow leak it could be any bushing etc and as i can keep it topped up - as i have done- I was not taking time to really fid it

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
YES AND THANK YOU! i don't know where exactly the leak is, When i get it all cleaned and refilled I will look more for the leak, It is such a slow leak it could be any bushing etc and as i can keep it topped up - as i have done- I was not taking time to really fid it

My headstock leaked a little when running due to the lid not having a gasket. A cardboard gasket fixed that issue.

ken holliday

novice - just learning
here are a couple picture files of my lathe= the pictures were given to me by the previous owner's wife

Attachments

• lathe hacksaw 1.jpg
    lathe hacksaw 1.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 22
  • lathe hacksaw 2.jpg
    lathe hacksaw 2.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 23

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Ken - if you look at the bottom of the headstock below the spindle you should see an allen head plug, this is your drainplug for the headstock.
YYC- the plug in your picture is way to high to be the drain and that plug isn't on mine or any others I've seen. Not sure what it is for, maybe the previous owner can let us in on the secret.

ken holliday

novice - just learning
Previous owner of my lathe died in airplane crash, many years ago, that is when/why i inherited it. He was flying with friend - a retired cp air pilot, they were in a yellow single motor wing on top, broadsided by an instructor and his pupil, flying single engine white plane - so i guess he wont be able to tell me where the plug is ! Good thought though!

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
That's the one! :D
I did the rag and bucket thing and then once the headstock was empty I found the plug looking from the inside DOH!
Ken - I was asking YYC about the previous owner and the plug he was showing

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Previous owner of my lathe died in airplane crash, many years ago, that is when/why i inherited it. He was flying with friend - a retired cp air pilot, they were in a yellow single motor wing on top, broadsided by an instructor and his pupil, flying single engine white plane - so i guess he wont be able to tell me where the plug is ! Good thought though!

Ken, @YotaBota meant the previous owner of my lathe...……..

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I've had my pilots license since 1994 but have been flying for many years with Dad and his Luscombe. It seems hard to believe that there can be three pilots and nobody flying but Dad and I did it one day and it ended in a hard landing but nobody hurt. He thought I was flying and I thought he was flying and the airplane just didn't compensate for our inattention, it happens.

ken holliday

novice - just learning
i will look for that one , tomorrow- supper is ready, have a great night all
I've had my pilots license since 1994 but have been flying for many years with Dad and his Luscombe. It seems hard to believe that there can be three pilots and nobody flying but Dad and I did it one day and it ended in a hard landing but nobody hurt. He thought I was flying and I thought he was flying and the airplane just didn't compensate for our inattention, it happens.
The accident was nov 20-1999 my wife's birthday, her brother - over Langley BC airport or near there
You may have known him of of him, he learned to fly at Regina Flying club Alvin Schafer