• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool Spotting fake Mitutoyo calipers

Tool
I'm interested. How did you do that measurement? I'm thinking a couple of pieces of brass shim separated by tape, between the battery and the case contact?

I don't know how @Dabbler did it. But if it were me doing it, I'd just put power leads onto the battery terminals inside the Caliper. I have a wide variety of probes and clips that might serve that purpose well.

I might also be inclined to use a regulated power supply instead of a battery so I could evaluate current draw at various stages of a battery's life.

This forum is costing me too much money. Now i seem to reallly need a genuine Mitutoyo 8" caliper. I also really want a 0-1" digital mic. Do they ever offer package deals?

Lab grade power supply. Ultra precision current measuring device attached to a TEK oscilloscope. A lot more precise than using either of my digital VOMs. Friend's equipment at his workplace.
Thanks. After I gave it a bit of thought, my enthusiasm waned....measuring a few uA would be a challenge for me.
Perhaps the era of 'battery eating' cheap calipers is passing? I've been impressed with the $30 ("DanIu")calipers I've been using for the past few months.

This forum is costing me too much money. Now i seem to reallly need a genuine Mitutoyo 8" caliper. I also really want a 0-1" digital mic. Do they ever offer package deals?
:)
After assembling a small collection of mechanical micrometers, I decided to 'see what all the fuss is about' and bought a Mitutoyo 0-1" digital micrometer a few months ago. I use it a lot and it really works well. Recommended.... $150 well spent.
https://www.itm.com/product/mitutoyo-293-831-digimatic-micrometer-series-293-mdc-lite

I just recently bought a digital mitutoyo 1" with 0.00005 precision.

I use it a lot and it really works well. Recommended.... $150 well spent.

Both you guys suck! ( I mean this in the most envious and affectionate way!)

-- I'm really curious about the current draw of my igauging calipers - whey were my go-to for years. Only in the last 3 years did I bite the bullet and order my Mit. They JohnN found me an older Mit 8"...

I've been looking at ITM. They were good to deal with?
Yes- very smooth transaction. Good price, Canadian (not Canadian subsidiary of US firm...) company, good communications and -no surprise- the Mitutoyo works well. It's a bit clunky compared to a mechanical micrometer, but I think that's true for all digital ones with a screen I can read. :) I'd buy from ITM again.

Both you guys suck! ( I mean this in the most envious and affectionate way!)

-- I'm really curious about the current draw of my igauging calipers - whey were my go-to for years. Only in the last 3 years did I bite the bullet and order my Mit. They JohnN found me an older Mit 8"...

I buy good batteries for my calipers in bulk and keep a supply in the house and in the shop. It takes a lot of the worry out of battery life.

If a KBC product is carried by Thomas Skinner, and you have an outlet near by, you can get them to often match the other guys price and you can pick it up. Granted, the last time I did that was on a 700$ vise purchase, but I saved over 300$ on it.

So you can tell I'm taking this too seriously... If you have a DGI supply near you the web price is 142.51, and if you remind them at the counter they give you the web price (or they have in the past for me)

gosh you guys can spend my money!

So you can tell I'm taking this too seriously... If you have a DGI supply near you the web price is 142.51, and if you remind them at the counter they give you the web price (or they have in the past for me)

gosh you guys can spend my money!
That's okay, you can just make some more tomorrow, so we have something to spend on Thursday...... We'll work @Susquatch over tomorrow for a dro for his lathe.....:cool:

Back