• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Sovol SV06

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Where did you order this from? Link?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I've been thinking about getting one for quite some time now. Two things holding me back.

1. I want plug-and-play. I don't want a tuning project.
2. I haven't been able to master Fusion360 so far negating the real value of having one.
There are loads of things to print that you don't have to design.
So far the Sovol is tune free other than initial setup

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
I've been thinking about getting one for quite some time now. Two things holding me back.

1. I want plug-and-play. I don't want a tuning/upgrading project.
2. I haven't been able to master Fusion360 so far negating the real value of having one.
THANGS
PRINTABLES
THINGIVERSE
CULTS 3D
There are lots of free 3d Model libraries out there. A portion of it is crap unless you are into D&D or modeling but there are also lots of useful things as well.
There are also free easy to use 3d modeling programs other than F360. TINKERCAD is dead simple for basic design.
A lot of the everyday things that you find would be useful to print have already been designed by somebody else.
Mcmaster Carr has free 3d files for a lot of their products as well.
3d printers are like hammers. Once you get one, everything looks like a nail.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
THANGS
PRINTABLES
THINGIVERSE
CULTS 3D
There are lots of free 3d Model libraries out there. A portion of it is crap unless you are into D&D or modeling but there are also lots of useful things as well.
There are also free easy to use 3d modeling programs other than F360. TINKERCAD is dead simple for basic design.
A lot of the everyday things that you find would be useful to print have already been designed by somebody else.
Mcmaster Carr has free 3d files for a lot of their products as well.
3d printers are like hammers. Once you get one, everything looks like a nail.
I've had good luck looking for things that are shop related.
My 3D modelling skills via F360 or Alibre have definitely improved since owning a printer but the overwhelming majority of things I print are designed by others.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
A friend of ours has older cabinets and drawers in their kitchen. The nylon sliders that the drawers slipped on were all cracking and or broken. Hardware stores no longer carried them. Probably available somewhere mail order. Or mailbe [sic] not.

He gave me one to measure. I ended up printing I think 6 at a time. He's one happy camper.
Here's the left overs and prototypes. There are lots of things to print (like my robot arm parts) that don't require CAD. But sometimes...

Attachments

• 1702597433968.jpeg
    1702597433968.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 8

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member

1. I want plug-and-play. I don't want a tuning/upgrading project.
As far as Fusion, it depends what you want to accomplish.

I would highly recommend the Youtube video series "Learn Fusion 360 or die trying". I think the presenter is a retired teacher. My guess would be math. He explains things in a very logical manner, and I had one window on YouTube, and one in Fusion and worked my way through. Just be aware that he makes one mistake about video 10. Really screwed me up until I realized what he did and what he said were two different things. But he gets you to a pretty competent level in not too many lessons. Things like offset planes and repeating patterns (think gears).

Once you have a printer you'll be amazed at he number of things you can print rather than buy - for a fraction of the cost. And especially useful for the kind of things you just can't buy.

PS: I haven't heard of any lawsuits against the guy, so I don't think anyone has actually died.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I continue to be impressed by my Sovol SV06.
I needed to print the mag scale read head mount for the Y axis. Haven't printed anything since well before Christmas. In the past my Ender would have completely forgotten its reason for being after a break and I'd be forced to go through a process to get it to print right again.
Fired up Prusa Slicr on my laptop (also a change since the last time I printed I used the Sovol Cura slicer) sliced the model. Set 90% infill because I need to drill holes in the finished piece.
1 hr and 47 mins later it's done.
52mm x 19mm x 17mm
IMG_0863.jpeg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I gave up trying to get my Ender to print dimensionally accurate parts. Best I could ever get was +.03-.05mm.
Not so with the Sovol. With zero tuning it hits dimensions to within +.00 - .02mm.
IMG_0869.jpeg

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
That is great! I'm interested in the differences between the SV06 and the SV07 - Did you consider the '07 when making your decision?

Perry

Ultra Member
Here’s a direct comparison between a print from the Sovol and the Ender.
Same M3D Performance PLA, same temps, same print speed.
Sovol on the left, Ender on the right.
View attachment 41555View attachment 41556View attachment 41557View attachment 41558View attachment 41559
Hi Dave,
I know you posted this a few weeks ago but thought this might interest you. Check out this video around 20:12 "Slow Down For Over Hangs". It's for the Bambu slicer, but the lessons would apply to other slicers also.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I put Klipper on my Ender 3V2 and I can confirm the speed improvements. Over 45% faster overall. 13 hour prints happen in 6-7 hours now. Very nice. and print quality is vastly improved (using SuperSlicer).
I’m still debating switching to Klipper.