• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

southbend countershaft question

Nesh559

first of all i'll say this might be a dumb question but im gonna ask it any ways. can i remove the countershaft from my lathe and run it with a larger motor and a vfd? i understand the counter shaft provides the torque advantage needed to remove metal but if i acount for that while choosing a larger motor could this theoretically work?

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Which Southbend? My 9A spindle speeds (without back gear) range from 300 to about 1400 rpm. If there is no belt reduction the motor/vfd would have to be at 10Hz to get 300 rpm I suspect this would be outside typical motor/vfd operating range? You would also have to make sure you don’t exceed the upper limit as the headstock bushings lose lubrication at higher speeds.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
+1 to @Johnwa comments. You know you can run a bigger motor: the flat belts are capable of handling a lot of torque. 1400 RPMs is not too shabby for any lathe.