• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

SouthBend 13x39 $800

I contacted the seller and there is a buy option on these by a third party. If they execute such option they are gone.

Condition report:
1. The Headstocks on both machines run quietly

(Because of the belt drive)

2. Some noise generated through the change gears on both machines.

3. Feed engagement lever on one of the machines does not function

4. The machines have Double V Ways both have significant amount of

Wear (About 0.010-.0.015")

5. Longitudinal Screw/Feed shafts are in good condition on both

machines

6. The backlash on the cross slide is about 0.05" on both machines

7. The backlash on the compound slides is about .025" on both

machines

8. There is damage on the front of the compound slide on both

machines.

9. The tailstock barrels on both machines are damaged and worn with

some wear in taper.

10. Machines are equipped with a 3jaw chuck but only 1 set of jaws

and 4 jaw chucks

Machines are currently running on 230 3 phase 60 cycle.

Ratings:

1. Machine with Taper Attachment and non-functioning feed engagement lever: 3.5/10

2. The other machine: 4/10

MACHINES SIZE: 69” X 30”

Basically both machines do indeed function and can do "lathe work" and one even has working power feed but they have a LOT of wear on them. Still these are classic SB machines thus there may be some people wanting to do a restore work on them or use them as is.

What does that mean exactly?

First time in my life I see this on machinery - its similar to stock call option - aka right of first refusal. I suspect when school given it to Bell they said that if price drops to X then say charity Y has the right to buy it first before anyone else but does not have to do so if it does not wishes.

Yes, that was me with the option on them. I called them yesterday morning, we talked about both for $1,000 - I said lets do it - they said "hold on, let us send you the diagnostic report and some more photos, don't worry, we'll hold them for you and give you a couple days to decide". After seeing the report, more photos, phone calls about freight to Calgary, adding up costs etc., I decided against it, so, as far as I know, they're available again.
But I sure did appreciate them giving me more time to think about it, sending the "report" and more photos - they seem like real nice (old school) honest dealers that want you to be happy with your purchase - kind of a rare breed these days - I'd have no hesitation dealing with Bell Machinery again.

Yes, that was me with the option on them. I called them yesterday morning, we talked about both for $1,000 - I said lets do it - they said "hold on, let us send you the diagnostic report and some more photos, don't worry, we'll hold them for you and give you a couple days to decide". After seeing the report, more photos, phone calls about freight to Calgary, adding up costs etc., I decided against it, so, as far as I know, they're available again.
But I sure did appreciate them giving me more time to think about it, sending the "report" and more photos - they seem like real nice (old school) honest dealers that want you to be happy with your purchase - kind of a rare breed these days - I'd have no hesitation dealing with Bell Machinery again.

You wanted both of them?

Oh, good to know - I have seen the report as well - they look quite worn out but there are people that rebuild these or simply use as is. I let Bell know that at least one person is no longer in.

Someone local to them, already had 3 phase power in their shop etc., it could still be attractive but transporting them very far just added too much cost and ended up higher than any value I saw in them.

I didn't get any "hard numbers" for freight. Made a couple of phone calls and the response to delivering to a residence was "less than enthusiastic".
That, put together with the photos I saw showing how beat up they were, missing parts, heavy wear etc. changed my mind.
What turned me away the most were the dozens of hammer bruises on the tailstock barrel and locking handle. It looked like they used a hammer to remove the live center (and missed quite a few times). I always just reversed the hand wheel until it bottomed out and the center was loose. Compounds had been run into the chuck numerous times -- they had a hard life.

I didn't get any "hard numbers" for freight. Made a couple of phone calls and the response to delivering to a residence was "less than enthusiastic".
That, put together with the photos I saw showing how beat up they were, missing parts, heavy wear etc. changed my mind.
What turned me away the most were the dozens of hammer bruises on the tailstock barrel and locking handle. It looked like they used a hammer to remove the live center (and missed quite a few times). I always just reversed the hand wheel until it bottomed out and the center was loose. Compounds had been run into the chuck numerous times -- they had a hard life.

Do you have pictures to share?

These were sent as part of a WORD document, I'll try to attach it:
"uploaded file does not have an allowed extension"

Don't have WORD on my computer so I can open and view that message but it won't let me convert it to pdf without buying word.

Don't have WORD on my computer so I can open and view that message but it won't let me convert it to pdf without buying word.

I'll PM you my email address and you can send it to me..... I'm really curious.

Dunno…… doesn't look bad bad to me?

This doesn't sound encouraging though

"told me over the phone that the compounds had lots of damage, power feed clutch on one didn’t work, so no power feeds, 3 jaw chucks had extreme run out. Only one has a taper attachment and that is missing the mounting bar casting on one end. .010 - .015” wear on the ways is a lot too"

Attachments

Last edited:
Back