• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

SouthBend 13x39 $800

Crankit

That is a darn good price! A 13" in the North Okanagan was listed for crazy price of $5000....it was listed for almost two years

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There is some nice equipment at Bell Machinery. Some names I don't normally see in Canada & they typically specify Taiwan/China/etc.
Most all outside my $range, but its always good to dream.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Wow - that is almost free - unless the bed is totally trashed it is ... free.

Don't worry about 1hp motor - you can just switch to 1hp 1ph with ease or 1.5hp 1ph for almost no money.

Its prefect home shop size as well. Just wow. Someone will get it in like 24h.

Even if the bed is trashed you could probably part it out on ebay and make enough to buy another lathe, lol.

I wish I was closer. And had access to a tandem axle trailer.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Even if the bed is trashed you could probably part it out on ebay and make enough to buy another lathe, lol.

I wish I was closer. And had access to a tandem axle trailer.

You know you're right about that! I can't believe what people are flogging south bend parts for on Ebayo_O

Last edited:

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
It is a school lathe so it might have been crashed. I have seen scool lathes with the power feed and threading broken quite often. If it all still works that is a fine deal. It dosen't look like an easy lathe to move on skates due to those legs. Still cool though

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
It is a school lathe so it might have been crashed.
It's problem a guarantee that it's been crashed once or twice. And if it's like my Utilathe, the chuck hasn't been off since it was new and may require a lot of persuasion to be removed. The taper attachment is probably worth the price of the machine.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
For those on the mainland, like you say, it is practically free and reasonably well tooled. For us on the island we have to add about $400 for transport and that would be with me going to get it. Even at $900 it still looks like a good deal.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm mildly tempted but switching out to a 13" would involve a big reinvestment in tooling. If I didn't already have a lathe in excellent condition I'd be all over it.

At $500 I wish it was here: I could make a restoration attempt with little up front capital and if it was going sideways part it out and make some money.