South Ontario Snow

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
We are having a heavy snowfall here in south western Ontario.

Here are two very short videos.

Huge big snow flakes. 5 inches in 5 hours.

Look at the chain link fence.

Western snow storms are usually quite different.

To top it all off we just had a HUGE thunder clap!

Engmaxx

(Michael)
Hoping for some to exercise the snowblower. Then again, trying to get out ice-fishing which has been cancelled up to now and the snow won't help ice building. Ah well, let's see what happens this weekend.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member

My tenants work for beef. It is a bonus day for them.... "Where's the beef"?

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
My new Ford 70MPH snowbrush option is going to emit tons of emissions over the next day or so. That's going to suck... Although, I figure by the end of spring 2030, I will balance my emission waste out by making a green works high speed steel rake this spring.

Last edited:

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Of course it is! Ontario once again earning its nickname.....Onterrible :p

I definitely remember gt snow racers! I was on one 2 years ago when visiting nephews in invermere.....jumps and wipe outs may have been involved
I can't count on my fingers anymore because I lost part of 1. But, to think, how many mouth full's of snow we took in back then... Gas powered 2 1/2" dual catalytic free V8 engine snow tasting goodness.
Yes, we took our GT racers in the ditches early on in life.
Pfffft, nobody thought of making masks for us back then.
Maybe that's why my wife says.. " you always seem to have a glow after 8pm"o_O

Last edited:

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I can't count on my fingers anymore because I lost part of 1. But, to think, how many mouth full's of snow we took in back then... Gas powered 2 1/2" dual catalytic free V8 engine snow tasting goodness.
Yes, we took our GT racers in the ditches early on in life.
Pfffft, nobody thought of making masks for us back then.
Maybe that's why my wife says.. " you always seem to have a glow after 8pm"o_O

we didn't do the GT's behind cars....We did the Mc Donald's trays behind the cars in highschool......you could get some serious speed on a frozen parking lot/road on one of those baby's....you would almost think it was a design criteria for serving trays or something!

And when I was much younger we had a sled that we pulled behind the snowmobile in the barn yard of my uncle's farm....all fun untill someone hit a frozen cow patty....wooo that sent ya flying!

JustaDB

Ultra Member
we didn't do the GT's behind cars....We did the Mc Donald's trays behind the cars in highschool......you could get some serious speed on a frozen parking lot/road on one of those baby's....you would almost think it was a design criteria for serving trays or something!

And when I was much younger we had a sled that we pulled behind the snowmobile in the barn yard of my uncle's farm....all fun untill someone hit a frozen cow patty....wooo that sent ya flying!
Your talk of trays brings back a memory. Was a Rez Rat at U Lethbridge. We used to take the fibreglass cafeteria trays & ride 'em down the coulees on the snow. Could get some serious speed built up. Only the odd tree here & there for obstacles, sometimes a big rock. Called it 'traying'. Good times.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member

heavy heart attack inducing snow falling furiously here too... I normally dont shovel until it is all done but this was just too heavy and wet to let it build up so I did one shovel already and going out soon for another.

I still dont regret getting rid of my snow blower... wasted so much space for the size of our driveway

Rauce

Ultra Member
Tobaganning isn’t allowed in parts of southern Ontario now.....
Hamilton is one of those places, but apparently it’s a liability dodge.

Someone sued the city when they got hurt tobogganing on public property years ago. So the city said tobogganing is no longer allowed. No one will stop you or write you a ticket but if you try to sue they can say you were breaking the rules.

MashingMetal

2 hours to get home from work today, at least the kids had the driveway done when I finally go there. Hope everyone was safe

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I don’t think I’ve ever seen snow stick to a fence like that. Sticky and heavy I bet.

I like my snow light and fluffy, but that’s special Manitoba snow.

It's heart attack snow. Somewhat common in SW Ontario. Happens whenever it snows right around freezing temps.

It is unbelievably difficult to shovel or blow. Shovelling it kills a few old guys regularly. It plugs up the average blower solid as a rock. As @TorontoBuilder says though - if you don't do it you are asking for trouble. It will usually freeze into thick ice.

We have about 6 inches of it and I've been out 3 times already today. Spent 1/3 of my time shovelling, 1/3 blowing, and 1/3 unplugging the blower. I only did the driveway up by the house. I don't plan to do the rest of the laneway or break out the tractor because it is supposed to warm up next week. I don't trust the weatherman though.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Spending 1/3 of the time unplugging the snow blower would drive me bonkers! I’ve never had to do that!

It's amazing what that snott will stick to. The shoot just gets smaller and smaller like a clogged artery and then you are cooked. By then it's also ice, hard as nails, and a pain to remove. Most blowers come with a cleaning bar for that reason.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
The precipitation has now turned mostly to combine rain/snow. I hope we dont get freezing rain or there will be massive major power outages.

It is supposed to get colder tomorrow... I hope the rain will melt all the snow first but I suspect it wont