• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Source for Patina Chemicals in Calgary ?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Does anyone know of a source for Patina chemicals in Calgary that has a better selection and larger sizes than places like Mona Lisa and Michaels?

I used to buy from a USA company but they stopped shipping here recently and now look like they went out of business.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Everything I do is steel. I have a dozen tables I need to do in the next few months if I can find the time.

Last edited:

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
A dozen steel tables? Ok..... you have to post some images now.

Haven't made them yet but they will be identical to these ones I posted a year or so ago: https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/just-some-coffee-tables.461/#post-4406

I really like playing around with patinas. I bought a pneumatic corner notcher a while back and it leaves all these perfectly square chunks of sheet metal in the scrape bin. Ashamed to throw them out. So I started thinking they would be great to test patinas on--like paint swatches in a store, I could even punch them and keep them together. When I went to the website I used to buy from they had disappeared. Lots of online options now though; just that some of them won't ship to Canuck land. I don't think Calgary is a big enough market to have a store with a wider selection than the little hobby kits from Michaels etc.

Too many projects on the go at once. I need to retire from retirement just to find the time;)

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Have you considered case hardening?

You can get results like this

Final.jpg

And you get to do cool stuff like this LOL.

5.jpg

Not as noisy as a pulse ram jet but probably has the same entertainment value.

Pics are from a guy in SK doing this kind of stuff. Looks like a good way to singe the siding on your house.

Last edited:

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Yes, I have used this technique before as well, together with blueing. It does work well, you're right.

P.S. I see Sask's one tree in the background. I hope he doesn't burn it down.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Try Kens Gems in NE. He is a jewelry makers supplier & has that sort of stuff.