• Guest, Help us understand what we can do better in future. Click Here!

Source for Patina Chemicals in Calgary ?

CalgaryPT

Vendor
Premium Member
Does anyone know of a source for Patina chemicals in Calgary that has a better selection and larger sizes than places like Mona Lisa and Michaels?

I used to buy from a USA company but they stopped shipping here recently and now look like they went out of business.

CalgaryPT

Vendor
Premium Member
Everything I do is steel. I have a dozen tables I need to do in the next few months if I can find the time.

Last edited:

CalgaryPT

Vendor
Premium Member
A dozen steel tables? Ok..... you have to post some images now.
Haven't made them yet but they will be identical to these ones I posted a year or so ago: https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/just-some-coffee-tables.461/#post-4406

I really like playing around with patinas. I bought a pneumatic corner notcher a while back and it leaves all these perfectly square chunks of sheet metal in the scrape bin. Ashamed to throw them out. So I started thinking they would be great to test patinas on--like paint swatches in a store, I could even punch them and keep them together. When I went to the website I used to buy from they had disappeared. Lots of online options now though; just that some of them won't ship to Canuck land. I don't think Calgary is a big enough market to have a store with a wider selection than the little hobby kits from Michaels etc.

Too many projects on the go at once. I need to retire from retirement just to find the time;)

Have you considered case hardening?

You can get results like this

Final.jpg

And you get to do cool stuff like this LOL.

5.jpg

Not as noisy as a pulse ram jet but probably has the same entertainment value.

Pics are from a guy in SK doing this kind of stuff. Looks like a good way to singe the siding on your house.

Last edited:

CalgaryPT

Vendor
Premium Member
Yes, I have used this technique before as well, together with blueing. It does work well, you're right.

P.S. I see Sask's one tree in the background. I hope he doesn't burn it down.