Small torque wrench or gauge?

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Have 16 in the U.S.:

https://a.co/d/0yZVa55

However, description on both sites is incorrect: 0.3 n-m = 2.66 in-lbf, not 0.22 in-lbf.
I will compare with my in-lb beam wrench today, and I suppose I can test the 2.66in-lb with some string and a bit of weight for a reality check, if it's close down there it should be fine for my needs.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Snap_on_TE100_HR.jpg

I have a few of these Snap on units in 1/4. and 3/8

and one of these in 1/4 drive:

s-l1600.jpg

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Snap-On vs. the Amazon black box special. Aesthetically this is a bit like a Ferarri vs. Yugo comparison.

I have often wondered what a fully loaded Snap-on truck is worth?

Want to swap toolboxes?

Last edited:

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I bought mine on ebay. cheap. A fully loaded truck is probably around 500k.

One of the Snap On torque wrenches i have is a non ratcheting, fixed, electronic unit. Called an electro tork. I picked it up for 20 bucks on Ebay. List at the time was 2k usd. The person selling it didn't know what it was.

images

pdentrem

Any good stuff at Cardon? I haven't visited since before COVID but previously they always had some good toys.
I never walk out of there without something! I almost bought this one! I already have 3 different torque wrenches so I did not buy this or the small beam one I mentioned although I did fondle it for a few!
They do mail order. Wife and I were talking with the owner while there. Interesting talk.
Pierre

5FAB9DA0-827C-4371-852D-3F598D8DCEDF.jpeg

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I bought mine on ebay. cheap. A fully loaded truck is probably around 500k.

One of the Snap On torque wrenches i have is a non ratcheting, fixed, electronic unit. Called an electro tork. I picked it up for 20 bucks on Ebay. List at the time was 2k usd. The person selling it didn't know what it was.

images

Way to go!

Every once in a while you can find hidden gems on eBay, I picked up a $20k non working calibrator for shipping cost, no one bid on it because the schematics were unavailable. Contacted the factory no chance they would provide the schematics. After researching it turns out company A actually designed it and sold the design to the present owners. Contacted company A and chatted with a really friendly sales guy that found an old service manual and sent it to me. 5c part to fix it, but would never of figured it out without the schematic. It's a great calibrator.

We need an eBay scores thread.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Well according to Amazon there is one waiting for me at my front door. Interesting because there were 4 available when I ordered yesterday.

Good on you. Might be folks monitoring our website who cleaned out Amazon after you decided what to get.

I confess I have done that a few times on other stuff after some member did a ton of research for us. Don't forget that for every registered member we have an army of silent folks following along.

To calibrate your unit, I like the bicycle pedal axle method. It's harder to do with low torques but not impossible. Just hang a weight on a 1 inch or 1 foot bar in either direction and then use a torque wrench to lift the weight. For low torques you have to take the weight of the bar into account.

You can also use bathroom or kitchen scales or known good torque wrenches instead of a weight.

ChazzC

Good on you. Might be folks monitoring our website who cleaned out Amazon after you decided what to get.

I confess I have done that a few times on other stuff after some member did a ton of research for us. Don't forget that for every registered member we have an army of silent folks following along.

Maybe the site can apply to Amazon to get a commission when anyone buys from a posted link, not unlike affiliate links that some YouTubers post?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Maybe the site can apply to Amazon to get a commission when anyone buys from a posted link, not unlike affiliate links that some YouTubers post?

We have considered that and made a conscious decision not to pursue advertising revenue. It keeps our site free of ad clutter and bias.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Just home from skiing, and a bunch of Amazon packages waiting at the front door.

Seems pretty accurate for a quick test and the peak capture is really going to come in handy.

I hung a random wrench (245g) at 11.8cm from the axis and it seems to be within 0.1in-lbs, much better that the 5 in-lb increments on the old beam wrench.

You can also set a value and it beeps at you when you approach/reach the preset value.

Overall it seems to do what the ad stated so it's a keeper.

TG.jpg

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I hung a random wrench (245g) at 11.8cm from the axis and it seems to be within 0.1in-lbs, much better that the 5 in-lb increments on the old beam wrench.

Sounds great. Mine is very similar and I was very happy with the accuracy and the beep function.

How did you account for the weight of the ratchet itself?

slow-poke

Ultra Member
The weight of the ratchet is quite light (estimate <30g based on it's volume) compared to the wrench 215g, so just added them, so not particularly accurate as the ratchet weight is distributed, I suppose I could make a light weight short lever and use more weight for a more scientific test, but the 10 second MacGyver method shows me it's pretty close. The display is in increments of 0.1Nm, and the 11.8cm distance is measuring tape eyeballed, so lot's of little errors for sure. Much better than the 5 in-lb beam deflector I was using. Did you ever test yours? Results?

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The weight of the ratchet is quite light (estimate <30g based on it's volume) compared to the wrench 215g, so just added them, so not particularly accurate as the ratchet weight is distributed, I suppose I could make a light weight short lever and use more weight for a more scientific test, but the 10 second MacGyver method shows me it's pretty close.

I would have probably just added half the ratchet weight which has the same effect as all the weight at the half way point. Maybe a little less cuz the head is heavier than the arm. I agree that it's silly to get carried away.