• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

SM1340 Change Gears

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You must be talking about the famous Eaton Fuller 18 speed... an engineering marvel.

My little Kubota has 8+4.

Tractors on the farm had 15+5.

Not proficient on the Fuller; but do manage the tractors ok.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
You must be talking about the famous Eaton Fuller 18 speed... an engineering marvel.

My little Kubota has 8+4.

Tractors on the farm had 15+5.

Not proficient on the Fuller; but do manage the tractors ok.
Just having a bit of fun, but it is amazing how they work

It’s related to lathe gearing, in needing to select the right combination at the right time, except lathes aren’t typically sequentially driven to speed up related to load requirements

In essence, it’s a quick change gear box

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Its an 18spd, but you only use 8.....most of the time

Empty truck - 1234 - shift to hi box, 1234

loaded - low low, low high, 1 low, 1 high, 2 low, 2 high....and so on.

now days they just hold the wheel and shift to drive...

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I decided i should get my 1A ticket after driving the semi on the farm for a few years. Man the guy i was taking the truck driving course from, just about blew a gasket when i started power shifting his Volvo. :) The old Ford Lt5000 with it's slightly worn 18 speed was a nicer truck to drive.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My loader tractor has 4 ranges and three gears plus reverse. All are clutched but the gears are at least syncro. You are not supposed to shift the ranges when moving but it is possible for those who don't mind risking their tranny. It's not a good idea.

My row Crop tractor has 24 forward and 24 reverse gears. Deere calls them ranges and gears - 6 ranges and 4 gears all with Fwd/Rev. The gears are power shift on the fly under load and the ranges are clutched syncro.

Both are cool machines but definitely not dragsters! Ok, maybe they are. They can both drag almost anything!