• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Slice & Dice Knives, (Now operating as The North Boundary Knife Co?), Jasper

EricB

Hey guys, this is a bit off topic, but as a bunch of fellow knife lovers are in here I thought I would tell you about the experience I've had with Slice & Dice in Jasper.

So a friend of mine was going on a trip to Jasper so I told him to check out Slice & Dice. He went, liked the guy, loved the knives, and bought a folder and two t-shirts. Came home very happy and proceeded to show me his knife and tell me all about it. It was made in Canada, it was a beautiful design, it was great. Here's a screen-capture of the knife on his website:

11231915_10154081875849581_8702885616097489488_n.jpg

Notice the description where it says that it is his newest creation, and takes lots of machining. Well, my friend recently noticed a very similar looking knife on instagram, and after a bit of looking around the internet he found numerous photos, videos, and reviews of Russian and Chinese made knives. The knives he found are exactly the same as the one he bought from Slice and Dice. Not similar, not almost identical, I'm talking a carbon-copy. Right down to the colour and texture of the scales, the heads of the screws, the shape of the blade, liners, lock, clip, etc. They have "D2" (the type of steel used in the blade) laser-etched on the blade in the SAME font. The logo is even in the same spot and put on with the same type of laser, just his logo instead of theirs.

IMG_5353ke2.jpg
d8635c_822590e76c914573838b60d00849e306.jpg
IMG_5356ke.jpg

I talked to Slice & Dice about this over Facebook Messenger. He danced around the questions, claimed that his was "1.26mm" bigger overall (still does not make it his own design), said that he buys the screws... Turns out that his Facebook page is set up as a "Community" so that you can't actually leave proper reviews, I started talking to him tonight and he already pulled the knife off his webpage and said that he was going to change the description to "avoid confusion"... I am not happy about this. Selling merchandise that is unoriginal and made in China is fine, the knife even feels like decent quality. But claiming that it is your own design and that it's Canadian made when he clearly orders them from China with his logo etched on?

Anyways, I thought I would let you guys know so that you don't get caught by this. Sorry if this doesn't read very well, I've been messaging back and forth with him and my buddy all night and am pretty annoyed/tired. If you guys want to see our whole back and forth conversation let me know and I can send it to you or post it here so you can make your own decisions.

I hate to tear down a company, especially a Canadian one, but this clearly made me pretty mad. Sorry for the rant, guys. Hope this isn't too off base.

EricB

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but this still pisses me off (NEVER piss off a ginger) and I actually have receive two messages from people regarding
Slice & Dice Knives Premium Quality Products ( http://www.slice-dice.ca/ ) since I posted about them that I would also like to share here. (One came in today, in fact) So, for your reading pleasure:

Dano from Edson wrote today (19/11/2016)

"Hey I seen you're post on the slice and dice FB page! The guy is a fraud! He worked for me as an electrician when he started the "knife" thing he was importing these knives into Canada and selling them to the general public at a 500+% profit! Check out Alibabba . Com for some of his other "look a likes"

and @Doc Brown through this site said

"He did tout it as hand made. Being a local of Jasper I will assure you this news will travel around town fast.
Just wanted to say thank you! You saved me after unkowenly making a $250 mistake.

I bought the same knife in the picture earlier today. It felt nice in the hand and not bad quality. Didn't really look at it too much in store. Decided I'd drop the 250 on it.

When I got home and looked at it a little closer. The fit and finish didn't seem up to par with other knives of similar price. Then I started noticing hints of mass production.

Hit the net right away and found your post. Did a bit more research and indeed this knife sells for 35usd on the net.

I returned the knife right away to the store and got a cash refund. Only citing that my wife was pissed for spending too much. Didn't want to call the guy out when he's in arms reach of a number of knives lol"

and later wrote

"He did tout it as hand made. Being a local of Jasper I will assure you this news will travel around town fast.
I actually found a few more knives he was selling in store, online at drastically cheaper prices."

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=Eric Beyer slice and dice

Last edited:

Jason Smith

Brand New Member
Eric B.. I joined today cause I googled slice and dice fearing the worse. And this thread popped up.. I would like to chat. I am curious about a couple things.

Mikie

Anyone know the owners name? I received a Damascus knife for Christmas in 2016! A few months later I talked to them about the blade being bent and they agreed to fix or replace the knife. I sent it in and gave them a few months with them saying i was getting a new one. And it was a slow process. Then they flat out quit talking to me and I’m out a knife they charged my fiancé $500 for.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
You should file a complaint with the BBB and the Jasper Police. If he has possession of your knife, and is refusing to interact with you, it is theft of goods valued at $500, which is a serious offense.

the proprietor's names seems to be Boris Bukovec, phone 780-723-1667, is that what you have?

He seems to have closed his storefront at 610 Patricia street. You can contact the Jasper Chamber of commerce to help at 780.852.4621

I hope this helps

Last edited:

Mikie

You should file a complaint with the BBB and the Jasper Police. If he has possession of your knife, and is refusing to interact with you, it is theft of goods valued at $500, which is a serious offense.
Thanks. I will contact police. I was hoping to find his name and go thru small claims as well. BBB probably can’t do anything since there doesn’t appear to be a company anymore.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Give the police all the data you have and stress that he has your property and is refusing to interact in any way. The probable remedy is that you will get back a bent 500 dollar knife, but almost better than nothng. He may be gone from Jasper, but the investigation has to start from the address you sent the knife to.

Mikie

I just called the rcmp. Sounds like I need his name since his business is no longer in Jasper! I am checking into his business license to see if they can give me any info.

Mikie

Thanks a lot. I didn’t have a name at all for the guy. The phone #s I have found have all been disconnected. I will try this # now. I appreciate your help.

Mikie

Thanks a lot. I didn’t have a name at all for the guy. The phone #s I have found have all been disconnected. I will try this # now. I appreciate your help.
There is a new store at same location called The North Boundary Knife Co. and their photos on Facebook have he same hammer and anvil stamp in them!

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
hmmm... again, you can forward this info to the RCMP; They may ask you to try to contact the shop at the same address, but I'd definitely go with their advice on the matter.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
This is a fascinating thread. As some of you know I started a small business this year selling skunk traps. Before I set up my Shopify site I went to a bunch of Amazon seller group meetings at the U of C. I was shocked to find out I was the only one actually manufacturing my own product, but worse than that, to discover that everyone in the meeting was re-selling bulk products at higher prices (known as "arbitrage" on Amazon) and often pawning it off as their own sometimes with "private branding" from China.

After the 4th or 5th meeting I found I was being treated as naive and stupid for thinking this was wrong. As one person said to me, "It's OK to be dishonest in business. It's called profit."

I think it is important to note that some stores that sell hand made and made in Canada items also sell mass produced items next to them. So it is important to point these things out when you see them and I thank @EricB for doing this.

Last edited:

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Selling at cost is not profitable, markup is ridiculous on everything because so many people are "taking a cut" before it ever reaches a consumer. Its not "right" or "fair" but unfortunately "middle man" is a job that employs people and feeds families. The show dragons den is a perfect example