• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Sieg X3 power feed

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You know how one project is often interrupted by another project? Hand cranking the X axis is getting old (albeit, my mill is small, but I am lazy) so a power feed for it has jumped up the list. I started with trying a drill to see how well it worked. Great, so then making an adapter, which turned out well. I then used a small torque wrench to determine what ball park will be and 15 in lbs turned it. I don't trust the torque wrench to be deadly accurate but it gives me a starting point. I wanted to know if my stock NEMA 23 motor might work and it is on the border so all good so far. As most know, NEMA designation is the mounting size so to swap it out with a higher torque 23 should not be an issue.
I did want to confirm the torque values though so cleaned up the adapter shaft and will do a more accurate test today with weights before I cut the shaft off to make the actual adapter.
It has been a while since I did anything with microcontrollers, very little with step motors and I am new to the Arduino platform so I wanted to do some practice/experimenting. I made up this prototype module. I am thinking I might have a digital display to show set feed speed but practicality says a simple control will suffice. Time and my "gotta get it done" syndrome with a mild case of "the novelty has now worn off" syndrome will determine how elaborate it gets. The nice thing about ucontrollers is that you can add or change features relatively easily.

Testing drive.jpg Drive adapter.jpg Torque test setup.jpg Proto module.jpg

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So I did my torque test. Maybe someone can tell me if my numbers and method is correct?

I wanted to use that bearing in the first post to eliminate any drag on the hub adapter but that did not work due to interference with the bench top so I had to extend the arm. The adapter rotates on the edge of the plate to keep it in line with the lead screw in the table top. Some drag there but the motor I use will be upscaled anyways so I don't think it will be a huge factor. I then took up the backlash and poured sand into the can until the arm moved. From the center of the arm to the end of it is 8.75" and from the back of the adapter to the end, 9.25". Splitting hairs but just curious which is the correct number to use. I think the 8.75 as it is to the center but the rope comes around the back side, thereby lengthening the arm...or does it?

The first test yielded 24 ounces but all of the rest resulted in about 18, give or take. Data attached. If it is correct, my motor is right at the limit being rated for 170 oz/inches. We lost internet here this morning so I could not check on larger #23 motors but I recall them being readily available. @David_R8 , my motor is one of 3 I bought for the plasma cutter, so the same as what you used. I knew this project was on the list so the 3 pack was the way to go.

Am I on the right track or out to lunch?...

Attachments

• Torque test.jpg
    Torque test.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Torque data.pdf
    41.8 KB · Views: 3

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I'd go one size up to a 23 to avoid potentially overworking the motor. But that's my ethos; some good ergo more better :)

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes, absolutely! A quick Amazon search brings up several larger sizes. Always a trade off. One was like 470 oz in but would stick out substantially. One, probably the "next size up" was about 270. I would probably like to double my findings so thinking 340 but will see when I get more into the research. At least, lots of choices in the #23 size so I can go ahead and do the mount.

Phil Vanderlay did a power feed motor mount, but a wiper motor on the same milling machine. I like his clutch but I don't know if I need it as if the stepper has no power to it, it will not cause much drag. Power will lock it in position though so I like the idea of the stepper over the DC motor.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I think Lee Peedin (PragmaticLee on YT) also did a slick power feed for an X3-size mill. Might be worth a look for some ideas.

Last edited:

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes, that one looks good too. More compact than what I am doing. I think the same clutch mechanics as Vanderway and with those geared motors, you would want it.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I’ve always been a big fan of the saying ”when all else fails, cheat”. To help you with your cheating, here’s a photo of the motor from my scrapped OEM G0704/CT129 power feed. This was an old version, no longer sold by Grizzly.

The motor struggled at low speed (using a straight DC brushed motor at low voltage is a waste of time). Then the cheap-ass controller board died, so I tossed the whole mess into the spare parts bin.

However, the motor info is legit and you could use it to size your stepper system. I’d suggest going at least 1.5x the rating of this POS motor.

The text at the top of the page is utter BS (400 amp current draw at 24 VDC?) but the chart at the bottom is probably legit.

The current version of the power drive is 90 Vdc @30 watt.

Attachments

• FE0915AF-D8B4-436E-A29B-B40C3BA77D89.jpeg
    FE0915AF-D8B4-436E-A29B-B40C3BA77D89.jpeg
    319.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I’ve always been a big fan of the saying ”when all else fails, cheat”. To help you with your cheating, here’s a photo of the motor from my scrapped OEM G0704/CT129 power feed. This was an old version, no longer sold by Grizzly.

The motor struggled at low speed (using a straight DC brushed motor at low voltage is a waste of time). Then the cheap-ass controller board died, so I tossed the whole mess into the spare parts bin.

However, the motor info is legit and you could use it to size your stepper system. I’d suggest going at least 1.5x the rating of this POS motor.

The text at the top of the page is utter BS (400 amp current draw at 24 VDC?) but the chart at the bottom is probably legit.

The current version of the power drive is 90 Vdc @30 watt.

Thanks @whydontu Good information to consider. The motor amps is probably 0.4 A or 400 milliamps, (the mA was lost in translation) seeing as that spec is a no load current. The loaded currents look reasonable, as you said.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

I believe I need the 450 inch pound version Craig. Also, I'm worried about the size. The Vervor website says the screw is 5/8 but there is no way that is right. Mine is huge. Just guessing an inch and a quarter but maybe an inch and a half. I'll have to check tomorrow when I get to the shop.

I think I'll try calling them in the morning.

Thanks for helping. It is much appreciated!

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sounds like a steal!!

Here is a link to a power feed for my mill, a toy machine next to a Bridgeport!

American dollars, about 40% of what I paid for the machine ~ 10 years ago

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have asked admin to move these power feed posts over to this thread. Forgot I had started it back in January.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Not sure where to put

Not sure where to put this post now. Hopefully @Janger will move this post with the rest.

The leade screws on both my mills are 1-1/4 - 5tpi. (200 thou per turn). So ya, the 5/8 Vervor isn't gunna work...... :(

Are you sure it's 1-1/4 at the end where the PF would attach?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
No idea. I've had the end off but don't remember what it looked like. Could be smaller. Can't see why they would do that though.

Brent H

Ultra Member
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg @Susquatch : the power drives attach where the handles and bearings are. The lead screws drop from the 1-1/4” to way smaller

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Are you sure it's 1-1/4 at the end where the PF would attach?

Actually, no I wasn't sure. But @Brent H is right, they drop down to 5/8 at the keyed shaft before the nut that holds the handle on.

20220408_175918.jpg

So I guess the question really becomes - do I really need 450 in-lbs? That question will have to wait for Monday to answer.