• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Shop fluorescent to LED strategy

George

I watched a YouTube video about how to switch to led tubes there’s lots of them, i then ordered a 10 pack for around $60 from eBay and replaced 2 x 3 tubes light enclosures, very very easy pull all the old wires and the ballast then hook up all of one end with + - and used quick couplers to link them all, straight in with 110v, much brighter instant on, no more flickering or buzzing, now I think I need sunglasses there well worth it.
I also purchased 5 meters of 12v led tape lights off AliExpress for about $5 which I will use to make small lighting fixtures to use for closer lighting powered by old DC adaptors.

Attachments

• 6034FA6E-1C86-4E52-AE9A-12EDDF202DF1.jpeg
    6034FA6E-1C86-4E52-AE9A-12EDDF202DF1.jpeg
    304.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 21856B9C-C33B-4795-A346-F0E8A889CC7C.jpeg
    21856B9C-C33B-4795-A346-F0E8A889CC7C.jpeg
    508.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I went with 5k (maybe higher) led (frosted) and I may dial it back (too bright almost , to the point it feels almost unnatural). Once you’re in and acclimatized it is ok (no sense of time though) but coming in through the overhead door on a sunny day really highlights how much “whiter” the led spectrum is.

That said, you can throw a 1/4” nut over your shoulder and turn around and find it 99/100 times. [emoji51].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@George , those fixtures look nice as well. Could have been an option for us if we did not have 22 two tube fixtures from an auction…

So that’s the secret then @kevin.decelles : show pictures of other peoples’ shops to the better half to convince them that you need more stuff. Actually did this to my wife - showed her the video of the Conestoga College Shop tour - she was quite impressed (so was I of course)

For those of you who have not seen it, here it is:

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes, sorry, should have been more specific where Conestoga College is located. Thanks Peter.

…. and they are expanding to an additional 1/4 million sqft facility by next month; must be nice.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I bought the led tubes at Costco. They are a direct replacement for the flourescent tubes. They say direct replacement for T8 flourescent but my fixtures were all T12 and I used them anyway. It's been more than 2 years now and not a single failure. Leaving the ballast in causes about 10 watts more consumption than removing the ballast and converting the fixture but it is so simple to just plug in new tubes with no wiring.

They are much brighter than the old tubes and start no matter how cold it is. I am very happy with them.

https://www.costco.ca/luminus-1.21-m-(4-ft.)-non-dimmable-led-tube-light,-6-pack.product.100471294.html

This sounds like a good plan for me too John.

I have two bulb T12 Fixtures with standard ballasts in the basement. They suck. They are constantly burning out or the ballasts either fail or get week. I've slowly replaced a few fixtures with T8 twin bulb electronic ballasts, but it's expensive and they don't last long either.

My garage and shop both have 4 bulb T8 fixtures, but I think the ballasts are the old kind because one of them someplace is starting to stink.

Ideally, I'd like to put equivalent or brighter LED bulbs in as direct replacements but I'll have to figure out how that works with ballasts that are wearing out. If I have to, I suppose I could disable the ballasts and run direct 110 to the bulbs, but then I'd have a hodgepodge of lights and too much chance of misapplied bulbs. But I vastly prefer just new bulbs. My shop lights are 18ft high and almost impossible to get at because of equipment. Normally I'd use the front loader on my tractor with a cherry picker basket but not with all that other stuff in there!

I also have three sections of 5ft scaffolding for 15ft, but it takes 3 weeks to put them together and I absolutely HATE going up there. Me and wobbly heights do not get along at all!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes, sorry, should have been more specific where Conestoga College is located. Thanks Peter.

…. and they are expanding to an additional 1/4 million sqft facility by next month; must be nice.

Hmmmm...... I wonder if they would host a GTA West Ontario Meetup? @LenVW ? I bet @Aburg Rapid Prototype would go that far for that! I know I would!

We could bring in Pizza! Prolly not beer though.....

Bandit

Led lites are very nice, I watch for the Color temp. when buying, and $$. LOL. For me anything over 4500 maybe too harsh on the eyes, as this is heading into the blue spectrum. Make any improvements easy to add more lites in case you find it not enough. Getting a lite in the right spot over equipment can mean useing 2 lites instead of 1, of lower power or adjustable, pointable lites. The farther a light is from where you want it, the dimmer it is. If you have to much light, you can leave some off or wear sun glasses. Costco has had some 3 temp. color flat panel lites.
The eye opener for me was auto lites in the winter. The more blue spectrum, the harder to see, oncoming cars etc., and reflection from snow banks and road signs. Man, I Wish there were enforced laws about head lites. I have had vehicles behind me blinding me from reflection in side the cab. After they pass, noticed them lighting from the road up to the tops of 100+\-ft trees, but only about 2 power pole spacing down the road.
Going to need bit of serious light from up at 18 ft. Susquatch.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Man, I Wish there were enforced laws about head lites. I have had vehicles behind me blinding me from reflection in side the cab. After they pass, noticed them lighting from the road up to the tops of 100+\-ft trees, but only about 2 power pole spacing down the road.

There are laws. They are too complicated to be enforced.

The big side of my shop is 60x40 and the lights are 16ft high (I guessed wrong earlier). There are 6 fixtures with 6 bulbs each in them. The wall switches do 4 bulbs in each fixture and 2 bulbs in each fixture. I usually run them on just 4.

But I also have localized work lights and can't imagine ever not having localized work lights.

You are obviously correct about the impact of distance. The reduction has a cubed reduction relationship to distance. However, I'd be quite happy to just maintain the current light levels. It would be awesome to be able to increase them.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
We installed one of the Costco flat panels in our laundry room. It’s rated for a few more lumens than a double tube 4’ flourescent. It was a PITA to install, as the mounting system was designed by either an idiot or a masochist.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I have 3 @ 8' flourescents in the shop and recently went LED, wow, what a difference that makes. I went to the local commercial lighting store and bought 5k bulbs, not cheap or even inexpensive but should last a long time with warranty.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Ideally, I'd like to put equivalent or brighter LED bulbs in as direct replacements but I'll have to figure out how that works with ballasts that are wearing out.
On every LED replacement I researched, you completely eliminate the ballast, and directly wire the 120V to the tube. Most tubes used to wire at each end, but nowadays most have the 120V is across the contacts at one end only. Check when you buy your tubes.
watch for the Color temp. when buying, and $$. LOL. For me anything over 4500 maybe too harsh on the eyes
+1 I use mostly low colour temperature tubes and panels, and then high colour temp fill lighting from those 'round' bulbs and for task lighting. THe slightly yellowish fill lighting around the shop offsets the harsher task lighting nicely..

Last edited:

JustaDB

Ultra Member
I have 3 @ 8' flourescents in the shop and recently went LED, wow, what a difference that makes. I went to the local commercial lighting store and bought 5k bulbs, not cheap or even inexpensive but should last a long time with warranty.
Had 3 dual tube 8' fluorescent fixtures in the shop. Replaced them w/ 3 rows of 4, 4' LED fixtures on sale from Princess Auto about 18 months ago. Like night & day.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I went with LED from the start 5 years ago and as Dabbler said there is no ballast - just 120v. They work great. Nice and bright shop.

Tom O

Ultra Member
When we redid our garage back in September 2017 we went with 8 HomeDepot led’s and have never had a problem with them just a joy to have they are wired to 3 seperate light switches. 7A0BA04A-165D-4506-A973-6B59199550D6.jpeg

D9BF098B-5491-44C7-96CA-1ED1E36102A3.jpeg