• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Shop fluorescent to LED strategy

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
On every LED replacement I researched, you completely eliminate the ballast, and directly wire the 120V to the tube. Most tubes used to wire at each end, but nowadays most have the 120V is across the contacts at one end only. Check when you buy your tubes.

+1 I use mostly low colour temperature tubes and panels, and then high colour temp fill lighting from those 'round' bulbs and for task lighting. THe slightly yellowish fill lighting around the shop offsets the harsher task lighting nicely..
That’s interesting, I did not remove the ballast from any of my fixtures, just hung them and ran LED bulbs. Standard Home Depot fixtures.

Maybe the newer fixtures are dual use?

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Hmmmm...... I wonder if they would host a GTA West Ontario Meetup? @LenVW ? I bet @Aburg Rapid Prototype would go that far for that! I know I would!

We could bring in Pizza! Prolly not beer though.....
I do know a few of the local machining vendors, but, I have not been in touch with anyone at the college. Let me try to reach out to a few guys and see if they are open to that.

The only stumbling block maybe the ‘Liability’ considerations, Conestoga is a Polytechnic College and operates with the collaboration of several ‘private’ companies.
Or . . .
There may be a CHMW member who has a large enough space to host a gathering.
@sasquatch can you get a list of members in the Kitchener Waterloo - Cambridge Area ?

I only know of a couple in the area but have met up with a few in Brampton and Hamilton.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I do know a few of the local machining vendors, but, I have not been in touch with anyone at the college. Let me try to reach out to a few guys and see if they are open to that.

The only stumbling block maybe the ‘Liability’ considerations, Conestoga is a Polytechnic College and operates with the collaboration of several ‘private’ companies.
Or . . .
There may be a CHMW member who has a large enough space to host a gathering.
@sasquatch can you get a list of members in the Kitchener Waterloo - Cambridge Area ?

I only know of a couple in the area but have met up with a few in Brampton and Hamilton.
I would be happy to host, but I would have to be organized in order to book the day off. I’m north of Waterloo

And you’d have to bring your own chairs

Beer and/or lunch could be organized easily as long as nobody makes any comments on my housekeeping

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

The best I can do is go through my own info based on what members have already said in their posts - ie public info. I cannot use the forum member database without individual permissions to do so. But let me see what I have.

Bandit

Super User
Well, another bank of the flurescent lights bit the dust yesterday in the mec/metal working end of the building. Now to get the engine hoist out so can support these things while they are unhooked. Some of the fixtures are 13ft. long, ackward while on a on a ladder.figure out the new layout, which lites against the ceiling and which ones hanging verses where the wiring is, verses what I think I will/might be doing in that immediate area. Onward to LED.
The fun of not knowing where wiring has been run and what is hooked to each branch. An older building, that has been reworked a number of times and used for a few different things. Have removed about 2 miles of com. wires,(just seems like it. LOL).
Only been in building 1 year. Getting there, sometimes leaps, some times 2 steps back.