sheet metal in Victoria

rocketboy2000

hi there,

to date i've just needed a few stainless steel sheet metal items and have gone to a local fabricator but the price for multiple pieces is getting a little ridiculous... time to get myself a small brake/shear combo.

i'm in victoria, bc and wondering if anyone can suggest the best place to get stainless sheets?

thanks a bunch.

francist

Super User
Good luck with that. I tried to hunt down some stainless last year for some small kitchen items I was making for a friend and got pretty much skunked. From what I understand, anybody that does get a job for it will bring in what they need, it’s unlikely anyone will be sitting on inventory. At least not on this side of the water.

I was looking for fairly thin stock though, so depending on what gauge you’re after you may find someone with crops. Universal, maybe?

-frank (also in Victoria)

rocketboy2000

thanks Frank. i've reached out to universal.

i've also called metal supermarkets and they carry different sizes. 4x8 sheets 20gauge for a little over $200 which doesn't sound too bad. i'm also getting a quote on the pieces i need.

francist

Super User
Right on. I buy pretty much all of my metal from them although their inventory right now is pretty low for anything other than 6061 and hot rolled steel. I can’t quite figure out their pricing system sometimes — I bought three short sticks of 1018 cold rolled and 3” of 4 inch aluminum round last week. Close to $250 by the time I got it to my truck!

Glad you found your sheet :)

-frank

Tom O

Ultra Member
Have you looked in Vancouver it would be nothing to head there for a day or night. Is that metal casting place still open out there?