• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

sheet metal in Victoria

rocketboy2000

hi there,

to date i've just needed a few stainless steel sheet metal items and have gone to a local fabricator but the price for multiple pieces is getting a little ridiculous... time to get myself a small brake/shear combo.

i'm in victoria, bc and wondering if anyone can suggest the best place to get stainless sheets?

thanks a bunch.

francist

Super User
Good luck with that. I tried to hunt down some stainless last year for some small kitchen items I was making for a friend and got pretty much skunked. From what I understand, anybody that does get a job for it will bring in what they need, it’s unlikely anyone will be sitting on inventory. At least not on this side of the water.

I was looking for fairly thin stock though, so depending on what gauge you’re after you may find someone with crops. Universal, maybe?

-frank (also in Victoria)

rocketboy2000

thanks Frank. i've reached out to universal.

i've also called metal supermarkets and they carry different sizes. 4x8 sheets 20gauge for a little over $200 which doesn't sound too bad. i'm also getting a quote on the pieces i need.

francist

Super User
Right on. I buy pretty much all of my metal from them although their inventory right now is pretty low for anything other than 6061 and hot rolled steel. I can’t quite figure out their pricing system sometimes — I bought three short sticks of 1018 cold rolled and 3” of 4 inch aluminum round last week. Close to $250 by the time I got it to my truck!

Glad you found your sheet :)

-frank

Tom O

Ultra Member
Have you looked in Vancouver it would be nothing to head there for a day or night. Is that metal casting place still open out there?