• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

sheet metal brake in BC - $250

Yes, you can either go over on the Tswassen ferry (butchered the spelling I am sure) or the Horseshoe bay ferry to Nanaimo and drive 45 minutes or so south to Victoria. Both are in the greater Vancouver area. Tswassen if coming in from the canyon on Hwy1 or Horseshoe bay if going 99 through Whistler, at which point you better stop on the way by as I am right on the side of hwy 99...,;)

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Strictly speaking you get on in Tsawwassen

Summer is definitely busy and will be even more so this summer because travel restrictions have been lifted.
Smarter/cheaper to rent a car? If there’s any available

I wonder if they’d believe I’m an RV and not a truck, just bobtail? I don’t even know if I’ll have time just looking for info ahead of time

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

I wonder if they’d believe I’m an RV and not a truck, just bobtail? I don’t even know if I’ll have time just looking for info ahead of time

Where are you delivering to?

Chicken lights

Yes, you can either go over on the Tswassen ferry (butchered the spelling I am sure) or the Horseshoe bay ferry to Nanaimo and drive 45 minutes or so south to Victoria. Both are in the greater Vancouver area. Tswassen if coming in from the canyon on Hwy1 or Horseshoe bay if going 99 through Whistler, at which point you better stop on the way by as I am right on the side of hwy 99...,;)
Noted. If I remember right Whistler is about an hour past Vancouver, maybe a little less? Very pretty drive up the coast once you’re out of Shankouver

Bobtail shouldn't be as bad, but the car rental would certainly make it a lot easier..... and cheaper, don't think I have ever heard of walk ons having to wait for another sailing either....

Noted. If I remember right Whistler is about an hour past Vancouver, maybe a little less? Very pretty drive up the coast once you’re out of Shankouver
About 1 1/2hrs north and we are another two hours North of there. But you want to spend three or more dawdling along where you can, it's a very senic drive... 45 minutes north of us, you reconnect with hwy1 in Cache Cr.......

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member

Whether the difference is enough to justify renting a car depends on the rates for commercial vehicles:
The rates for passenger vehicles vs. commercial can be compared here: https://www.bcferries.com/routes-fares/fare-calculator

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Dunno..... @David_R8 what says you....
Strictly speaking the lower mainland is made up of a bunch of separate cities which all border each other.
The City of Vancouver is a different entity from Delta, Abbotsford, Langley, Richmond etc.

Chicken lights

Whether the difference is enough to justify renting a car depends on the rates for commercial vehicles:
The rates for passenger vehicles vs. commercial can be compared here: https://www.bcferries.com/routes-fares/fare-calculator
Says about $200 round trip....bobtail, that’s not horrible

I think the last time I rented a car at the Abbotsford airport and left the truck and trailer parked at the airport

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
11 wide, 12 tall, 26 long, 10,000 kg’s, 3 axles
Limited sailings though and a lot of full reservations already
Yes if you're serious about coming over definitely make a reservation.
And pay close attention to the conditions for reservations. They have a minimum arrival time before your reservation is void.
When we moved here from Edmonton, we drove for 16 hours, slowed down by 40 mph head wind till we hit Jasper, big traffic jam outside of Abbotsford so missed the reservation cut-off by 10 mins and we had to wait for the next sailing.

Chicken lights

Yes if you're serious about coming over definitely make a reservation.
And pay close attention to the conditions for reservations. They have a minimum arrival time before your reservation is void.
When we moved here from Edmonton, we drove for 16 hours, slowed down by 40 mph head wind till we hit Jasper, big traffic jam outside of Abbotsford so missed the reservation cut-off by 10 mins and we had to wait for the next sailing.
That’s the only hang up is it’ll be a last minute scramble I’m guessing, unless I’m getting a reset in or the truck “breaks down”:D

I think it would be neat if the truck and driver had been in Newfoundland and Victoria but might have to settle for driver only

That’s the only hang up is it’ll be a last minute scramble I’m guessing, unless I’m getting a reset in or the truck “breaks down”:D

I think it would be neat if the truck and driver had been in Newfoundland and Victoria but might have to settle for driver only
That's one other hiccup to consider, the 200 is truck only, driver is extra, fuel surcharge and taxes are the added bonus. Pretty sure that you can reserve a rental car from the ferry and there's a rental outlet close by..... Way less stressful than explaining to the the judge that bylaw enforcement was talkin' when they shoulda been listenin' and I wasn't commercial that day..... Not that any of us would find ourselves in that position.....:rolleyes::p