• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

sheet metal brake in BC - $250

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I suppose this one is practically in your backyard @David_R8 ?:p
Not really. It’s a good six hour trip: 2 hours each way for the ferry and likely a two hour drive from the ferry terminal and back once in the mainland.
Not to mention the $130 ferry fare each way.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Not really. It’s a good six hour trip: 2 hours each way for the ferry and likely a two hour drive from the ferry terminal and back once in the mainland.
Not to mention the $130 ferry fare each way.
I was just kind of joking with you after you found yourself a brake in Alberta a while back and moved it home. I guess even one in your own province turns out to be more expensive. :)

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I was just kind of joking with you after you found yourself a brake in Alberta a while back and moved it home. I guess even one in your own province turns out to be more expensive. :)
No worries :)
The cost and time involved is why I was willing to pay shipping for the one in Calgary. Getting off the island is just stupid expensive. I misquoted the fare, for a standard vehicle it's $62 each way, $18 for each person plus taxes. So for two people it's $111 each way.
When we go over we always take the motorcycle, it's only $31 each way and we get to load and unload first. And we don't have to arrive 45 mins before sailing time.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
No worries :)
The cost and time involved is why I was willing to pay shipping for the one in Calgary. Getting off the island is just stupid expensive. I misquoted the fare, for a standard vehicle it's $62 each way, $18 for each person plus taxes. So for two people it's $111 each way.
When we go over we always take the motorcycle, it's only $31 each way and we get to load and unload first. And we don't have to arrive 45 mins before sailing time.
Wow that is crazy expensive. I don't know how you guys handle that. I guess you do it smartly and not often.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That’s exactly right. We haven’t been off the island since before Covid. And it’s pretty ok really as we don’t lack for anything.
Wow. I've never been to the island but I'm sure I'd love it, but I think I'd be going a bit squirrelly if I felt I couldn't escape more often than that. However that is likely the "prarie redneck" in me that would surface in such circumstances.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Wow. I've never been to the island but I'm sure I'd love it, but I think I'd be going a bit squirrelly if I felt I couldn't escape more often than that. However that is likely the "prarie redneck" in me that would surface in such circumstances.
There's a fair bit of escape even on the island - this is a *big* island. But yeah, it is a bit strange not having been to Vancouver in some 3 years now.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
When i was working on the Riverhurst Ferry my sister that lives on the big island out west always said our ferry is bigger. My reply was ours is free to ride. In the tourist season people constantly asked how much to cross and were amazed that it was no charge.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Been on "the Island" once and felt like I was trapped In a prison the whole 3 days I was there (must be the "prairie boy" in me also). We were 89 ft long (formed rafter trusses) for the ferry ride over and the fare was $850, back we were 80ft for $825 and that was around 1990...cant imagine what it would be now!!

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Been on "the Island" once and felt like I was trapped In a prison the whole 3 days I was there (must be the "prairie boy" in me also). We were 89 ft long (formed rafter trusses) for the ferry ride over and the fare was $850, back we were 80ft for $825 and that was around 1990...cant imagine what it would be now!!
I wouldn't want to go anywhere on this island at 89' long! The place has grown a lot since 1990 though.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I can honestly say I have never felt trapped here. It's a huge island, bigger than all of England.

Last edited:

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I've only been off the island for work stuff and that's often just a drive to Coquitlam to drop of parts or pick up assembled boards. And the mandatory stop at IKEA. Used to be KMS Tools and Lee Valley but we have them here now so unless I need a Busy Bee Tools fix (also in Coquitlam) there's no need to go to the mainland.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member