• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Shop Shed build underway

Shop

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
This week has moved along very well. My contractor has completed phase 1 of the project. This was to remove mud-patch driveway, and prepare to pour the floor of the 16 x 10 Shed. Tomorrow I will add pictures of the actual work. For now, I only have a screen shot of the building virtually.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 8

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Here is Phase 1 just about ready. The contractor needs to bring a couple more forms to pour. After that is adding more gravel to prepare for pour#2. The driveway will be getting a top coat of dolomite after also. On the last photo, I am showing the conduit coming from my main building. Lucky I have one more double slot left in that box. I bought a 60 amp main box for the shed. Lots of extra room. Going to put 220 in a few places, and some outdoor 110 and lights.

Today, I am going to scan my small lathe and the drill press to put them in the virtual design. This is to determine placement of AC unit, Wall, forced air electric heater and the cantilever shelfs.

Attachments

• DSCN1633.JPG
    DSCN1633.JPG
    676 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN1634.JPG
    DSCN1634.JPG
    711.9 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN1635.JPG
    DSCN1635.JPG
    729.5 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN1636.JPG
    DSCN1636.JPG
    602.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I have finished the layout of the interior. No AC will be added. An extra window now next to the lathe. Also showing Cantilever shelfs. Directly over the lathe will have a four foot led fixture. Probably 3 other four foot on their own switch. I am putting in a 4KW forced air wall furnace. The rack shelf is for small part storage. It can hold 70 plastic bins. The workstation area has a 28 inch turntable for scanning and PC is shown, no screens yet.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 22

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
This week has moved along very well. My contractor has completed phase 1 of the project. This was to remove mud-patch driveway, and prepare to pour the floor of the 16 x 10 Shed. Tomorrow I will add pictures of the actual work. For now, I only have a screen shot of the building virtually.
did you get a permit?

not that I care, but nasty neighbours like to report people who didn't get a permit or who they dont like, ...

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have finished the layout of the interior.

Looks very cool!

The only think I see that would concern me is the lathe's adjacency to the left wall. It will be difficult to mount long stock through the spindle. I'd prefer mine mounted on the right side of the wall instead of the left for that reason.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I didn't know they just changed the code last April. You can do so much more with 15 square meters compared to 10. Enjoy.

This change was province wide. Most municipalities have either updated their bylaws or announced that they plan to and are no longer enforcing the old bylaws.

There are a few things to watch out for though. The new bylaws that are being introduced specifically stipulate "storage only". Work shops, dwellings, and lofts are not allowed. But nobody is checking....... At least not as far as I know. I also know that the Shed Building outfits are all phasing out lofts.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
This change was province wide. Most municipalities have either updated their bylaws or announced that they plan to and are no longer enforcing the old bylaws.

There are a few things to watch out for though. The new bylaws that are being introduced specifically stipulate "storage only". Work shops, dwellings, and lofts are not allowed. But nobody is checking....... At least not as far as I know. I also know that the Shed Building outfits are all phasing out lofts.

OH I am sure that many municipalities will be revising bylaws and making stipulations that limit uses and such. But at least this allows a semi-functional shed size now. I can't have one regardless where I currently am, but hey more power to everyone else.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Looks very cool!

The only think I see that would concern me is the lathe's adjacency to the left wall. It will be difficult to mount long stock through the spindle. I'd prefer mine mounted on the right side of the wall instead of the left for that reason.
I am going to put that lathe on wheels. It might be like the one I saw on a thread with tubular construction, but only with much deeper cleanout. Not 100 % on that design yet... but I need to roll it out for change gears and electrical maintenance. I was inspired by this photo for the lathe under shelfs by @SomeGuy. (see below).

This is mostly storage. I am storing my old lathe, tablesaw, compound mitre saw, fasteners, bins of stuff on the shelfs, old computer desk, and old computer... All wood working will be done outside. The tools will be cleaned totally before re-entering the "shed". The lathe is my secondary lathe to the 1440, so is used mainly for deburring, and the odd simple job. The drillpress is not used much.. But I need this space to be kept much cleaner than even my house.
What app are you using for your sketches?
The same one used by General Motors, Chrysler.. to mention a few.
OH I am sure that many municipalities will be revising bylaws and making stipulations that limit uses and such. But at least this allows a semi-functional shed size now. I can't have one regardless where I currently am, but hey more power to everyone else.
Why can't you?

For me, I am under the square footage percentage on my property. (just).. I only have two neighbors and a closed school behind me. One of the neighbors does welding and fabrication a lot on his property. The other is not a problem as long as I keep up with cleaning the dog-run. Note that I brought her over and showed exactly what was going on, to gauge reaction. I felt it might be the right thing to do, rather than popping up a building next to her fence. She remarked "that she was boxed in" The school runs on two sides of her property... It will take years before they decide what to do with the old school. Nothing is fast in this town, except all the new restaurants. Her two sheds are right on the property line, not the 4 feet as required now. (grandfathered in).

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I am going to put that lathe on wheels. It might be like the one I saw on a thread with tubular construction, but only with much deeper cleanout. Not 100 % on that design yet... but I need to roll it out for change gears and electrical maintenance.

This is mostly storage. I am storing my old lathe, tablesaw, compound mitre saw, fasteners, bins of stuff on the shelfs, old computer desk, and old computer... All wood working will be done outside. The tools will be cleaned totally before re-entering the "shed". The lathe is my secondary lathe to the 1440, so is used mainly for deburring, and the odd simple job. The drillpress is not used much.. But I need this space to be kept much cleaner than even my house.

The same one used by General Motors, Chrysler.. to mention a few.

Why can't you?

For me, I am under the square footage percentage on my property. (just).. I only have two neighbors and a closed school behind me. One of the neighbors does welding and fabrication a lot on his property. The other is not a problem as long as I keep up with cleaning the dog-run. Note that I brought her over and showed exactly what was going on, to gauge reaction. I felt it might be the right thing to do, rather than popping up a building next to her fence. She remarked "that she was boxed in" The school runs on two sides of her property... It will take years before they decide what to do with the old school. Nothing is fast in this town, except all the new restaurants. Her two sheds are right on the property line, not the 4 feet as required now. (grandfathered in).

My townhouse has virtually no rear yard. We basically have space for a 10x10 gazebo, a bbq and a few planters and that is it.

the board also prohibits sheds

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Phase 1 concrete in. Tomorrow they are going to pull the forms and saw the stress groove. They are talking about prepping for stage 2 pour this week and completing the gravel driveway.

I quoted epoxy floor today and timing is now at 3 months till anything moves in. I figure the construction will take a good months anyway, and then I need to tape, mud, sand and prime before the three months. Epoxy quoted much better than the contractor guessed.

Attachments

• DSCN1638.JPG
    DSCN1638.JPG
    349.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN1640.JPG
    DSCN1640.JPG
    521.4 KB · Views: 20

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Pour # 2 is 5 cubic meters. In process now..

Attachments

• DSCN1643.JPG
    DSCN1643.JPG
    619.4 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN1644.JPG
    DSCN1644.JPG
    556.4 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN1647.JPG
    DSCN1647.JPG
    264.5 KB · Views: 11

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Curious what the current price is for 5m3 of concrete.

usually around $220 to 225 M3 for 10 -15 MPa concrete

25 MPa is about $250
I quoted the concrete prior to contracting it and it was $2400 for 8 cubic of 35 MPA. The total cost for concrete including shed foundation is $4200.00. There are 6 people on site working now, time about 2 hours. Pictures after the commotion leaves.....

Last edited: