• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Selling Colchester Master 2500 For A Neighbour

That would fit nicely where my Craftex is (was). Better go water the money tree!!!! I need more Amps!!!! damm

Attachments

• colchester-2.JPG
    colchester-2.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 1
  • colchester-1.JPG
    colchester-1.JPG
    283.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
My neighbour has a Colchester Master 2500 that she's looking to sell. Apparently it works and is in great condition. Not sure the value of it, but open to offers. Located in Hamilton, ON.

View attachment 28401
My neighbour has a Colchester Master 2500 that she's looking to sell. Apparently it works and is in great condition. Not sure the value of it, but open to offers. Located in Hamilton, ON.

View attachment 28401
Forget anyone else... we want it. I have an ad looking for one

View attachment 28401
Hi I sent you a private message as well. Please put me in touch with your neighbour.

My brother and I know how to move this without damaging it our the property.

Just an FYI people, the initial response to me saying I wanted to buy the lathe was "...what's your offer? I'm dealing with the sale of it."

I asked to come see the lathe tonight which is as soon as humanly possible for me and my brother, so we could assess the lathe and make a fair informed offer with all the facts in hand.

I'll let you know if I hear anything back. I suspect the OP has no idea about what this lathe is worth and is waiting to have a bunch of people give him prices.

Just an FYI people, the initial response to me saying I wanted to buy the lathe was "...what's your offer? I'm dealing with the sale of it."

I asked to come see the lathe tonight which is as soon as humanly possible for me and my brother, so we could assess the lathe and make a fair informed offer with all the facts in hand.

I'll let you know if I hear anything back. I suspect the OP has no idea about what this lathe is worth and is waiting to have a bunch of people give him prices.
Patience young grasshopper...... They are just trying to help a neighbor who is probably going through a rough patch, otherwise I suspect that the original owner who would know something about it would be selling it themselves.
By now I suspect that you have a pretty good idea what it's worth, so make a respectable offer dependant on in person inspection. Not everyone likes selling stuff, and dealing with tire kickers, I know that if I get a slightly bad vibe, that person will never have enough money to waste any more of my time.

I asked the salesperson for more information such as the year of manufacture, or rather just a decade would be nice to know in order to put a value on the lathe sight unseen.

I also asked what the power requirements were, are they 575v 3 phase 60hz, or 440V 3 phase 60 hz like my Chipmaster lathe came with, or something else?

I'd like to have the size confirmed, it appears to be 1340 which is what we've been looking for, but two others we looked at turned out to be the short bed 1335 versions. I think I see a foot brake, but I'd like that confirmed...

Aside from potential condition issues that would affect the price, such as the condition of the ways, gears, bearings and spindle, the available accessories and tooling also remain unknown at this point. Does it come with a faceplate, a drive plate, a 4 jaw chuck, how about a collet chuck and EC collets. These are all pretty standard Colchester parts that would affect price.

Or should I assume because there is no dickson quick change tool post that the original owner did not choose to splurge on any optional accessories?

Unlike some potential buyers I wont throw out a number I think the seller will go for only to show up with a lesser amount and say take it or leave it.

Patience young grasshopper...... They are just trying to help a neighbor who is probably going through a rough patch, otherwise I suspect that the original owner who would know something about it would be selling it themselves.
By now I suspect that you have a pretty good idea what it's worth, so make a respectable offer dependant on in person inspection. Not everyone likes selling stuff, and dealing with tire kickers, I know that if I get a slightly bad vibe, that person will never have enough money to waste any more of my time.
If you see my post I don't know enough to know what it is worth and I wish to be as fair as possible because I know full well why the sale is being done the way it is.

I am not a tire kicker either as many people can attest. I stated up front I want to buy this lathe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember, you aren't talking to a salesperson, just the neighbor of what very well could be a deceased lathe owner. I wouldn't expect them to know much. But you have a pretty good idea of its worth........ As I see it the ball is in your court......

My guess is @140mower is exactly correct. The actual seller probably knows little about the machine much less what accessories are kicking around the shop that should go with it. I would have a quick look around the shop for anything that should go with the lathe. The pic does show a steady rest on the machine if I'm not mistaken.

My guess is @140mower is exactly correct. The actual seller probably knows little about the machine much less what accessories are kicking around the shop that should go with it. I would have a quick look around the shop for anything that should go with the lathe. The pic does show a steady rest on the machine if I'm not mistaken.
I know the seller is clueless, and said as much. Saying that and arguing with me telling me to make an offer while short of relevant facts helps no one.

The seller has a post asking for valuation of the lathe, but again it is short on information required to provide a fair informed valuation. I'm offering to do that in person and put up cash offer once completed. How about others make their offers here and now?

I know the seller is clueless, and said as much. Saying that and arguing with me telling me to make an offer while short of relevant facts helps no one.

The seller has a post asking for valuation of the lathe, but again it is short on information required to provide a fair informed valuation. I'm offering to do that in person and put up cash offer once completed. How about others make their offers here and now?
How about giving the seller a range of prices that would depend upon many things thus the need to gather more information? You could say the range might be from. $500-$4500 so they get an idea how important it is that you get all the necessary details.

Pretty sure that if someone else is interested in it, they are already making arrangements and are unlikely to try and start a bidding war.... I guess out here I look at purchases like this differently than you guys back east do, here, everything is +/- 4hrs away, and the supply is much smaller, so waiting for another one to come up can take a while. Rarely does the person I am dealing with know much about their deceased father/husband's old lathe or shaper. I have zero issue sending a small deposit via e-transfer to hold my spot as first right of refusal, if in fact I am first. Somtimes I do better than others, but at least when I go into my shop, I can make chip rather than plans, and that makes me happy....... I like being happy, and the wife seems to like me more when I am happy.... The shop is loving this arrangement. :D

How about giving the seller a range of prices that would depend upon many things thus the need to gather more information? You could say the range might be from. $500-$4500 so they get an idea how important it is that you get all the necessary details.
I just recently bought my Colchester Chipmaster lathe and paid $750 because the seller insisted I make an offer before I had a chance to view the lathe. He then said he had someone that was offering $500.

He was a business person in the industry and the lathe owner, so I don't feel too badly for paying less than I was willing to pay.

Now how many people will show up having said I'll pay $4000 and then up their offer when they see a pratt burnerd 4 jaw chuck, a ER collet chuck and a full complement of 12 EC collets?

I have my way I'm comfortable doing business that is fair and ethical and I'll stick with it.

@TorontoBuilder .. I am not interested in buying it. I am interested because I worked on a Triumph 2000 for over 6 years in the 80's. I am well aware of the quality of the lathe I worked on. I was just putting info out. I don't have voltage, amperes or money at this point... See the picture of the guy with long hair? That is me, from the website of the company I used to work for. Now what's left of my hair is grey, white.

Attachments

• Mansion-Ave.-Machine-shop.webp
    Mansion-Ave.-Machine-shop.webp
    16.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Just to contrast how much market areas can differ (like @140mower mentioned) I sold a lathe yesterday and the next day after posting it I had 2 buyers from 3-7 hours away willing to etransfer the entire purchase price without ever being able to see the lathe in person! I wasn't going to hold it for anyone and it was first come first serve. It was not what I considered a super deal (market value) but the lathe was in very good shape and I had excellent pictures. I also talked to the guys on the phone and I believe they could tell I was honest and knew what I was talking about. I was a bit surprised how easy it was to sell for good money.

Just to contrast how much market areas can differ (like @140mower mentioned) I sold a lathe yesterday and the next day after posting it I had 2 buyers from 3-7 hours away willing to etransfer the entire purchase price without ever being able to see the lathe in person! I wasn't going to hold it for anyone and it was first come first serve. It was not what I considered a super deal (market value) but the lathe was in very good shape and I had excellent pictures. I also talked to the guys on the phone and I believe they could tell I was honest and knew what I was talking about. I was a bit surprised how easy it was to sell for good money.
Meanwhile in Ontario there have been 4 similar Colchester lathes than recently sold and one is still for sale aside from this one. They do come up enough here to be thorough. Hey if they had a price I'd have accepted or rejected it.

This one will be sold tonight.

Back