Screws for carbide inserts

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Is there someplace local to source these type of screws? M4x10 My order on amazon apparently ended up somewhere in Italy!? 858BE5FE-EC52-473B-A405-DCB42B04A668.jpeg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
John I've found the best source is the suppliers of the tools themselves. It might take some searching but generally they offer them as spares. The Torx + M-thread + head angle makes them a bit obscure for regular metric fastener suppliers even, but I can provide some seller links I've been happy with in that regard. I think a good strategy is when you buy an offshore tool, throw 5 screws on the order (which I am guilty of not doing).

Your original question - going to guess pretty slim pickkins in CowTown. But you never know. You might find a tool supplier like Skinner or DMH (Sowa distributer) but it will proably be a spare to a higher end tool (and more $$). Some of those are interchangeable, some are their own standards go figure.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Aliexpress and slow shipping from china for me. Once you order like 50 or 100 they last you a while. Then if long time from now you are getting short - order some more.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
The amazon order was for 10 screws. I used amazon as I needed something to get my order over $35.

I guess I’ll have to place an aliexpress order. Too bad they don’t mix and match a couple of sizes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
If @Tom Kitta orders screws by the hundred possibly he has an M4 you can buy? These screws are a bit expensive from sandvik, Kennametal and iscar. I buy them sometimes and they are about $20 each in town.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I think I’ll place a Chinese order! I can get a few different sizes for $20. I do hate the long wait though.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
John I have conventional hex head M4 cap screws & possibly flat heads too. But I think they are 0.7 pitch. Can you confirm what you require? Something tells me they are finer pitch. But 4mm seems big, what tool does this go into?

top pic - Might be a long shot but assuming correct fastener if you chucked a blank of material, made a shallow depth M4 threaded hole on end, bottom out screw into hole & angle profile whatever the insert seat angle is...

bot pic - Alternately if you found the right pitch but longer length, make up a cone spacer thingy with seat angle. It might not be pretty but would be functiona

I've used this Ebay seller on metric stuff & he is speedy fast (or at least was). The weird thing is the envelopes say Toronto so could be he is re-packaging?
https://www.ebay.ca/str/regansstore

Attachments

• SNAG-4-9-2020 0003.jpg
    SNAG-4-9-2020 0003.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 0
  • SNAG-4-9-2020 0004.jpg
    SNAG-4-9-2020 0004.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 0

Johnwa

Ultra Member
@PeterT the screw holds the carbide insert on a boring bar. They have a special head shape That fits the inserts. I still have 2 good ones as well as another bar that uses different screws so I should be ok for a while. Amongst the various tools I have there are at least 3 different screw sizes so I’ll get those sizes.

the attached picture shows the head shape.
AEA054BB-C1EC-455F-8235-E91F9DEA71AE.jpeg

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Sometime later this year I hope! I’ll have a surplus of M4, M3.5 and M2.5 retaining screws.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Sometime later this year I hope! I’ll have a surplus of M4, M3.5 and M2.5 retaining screws.

Welcome to the club. Taps ordered mid March won't surface until mid May according to the delivery scheduleo_O

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was asking about insert screw geometry on HM Forum last night & one of the guys posted this Ebay seller.

The M2.5 screws for CMT & similar (USA made)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pieces-THFC-006-MS-1153-Insert-Screw/401593009408

store front, other kinds of related toolholder goodies
https://www.ebay.com/str/Toolholder-Fasteners?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

I know the Bangood/Ali screws are cheaper considering the higher shipping cost to Canada. I've had some ok ones & some real crap too.
I need to measure my lengths but considering springing for some. I'll ask if he will do combined shipping because they are so teeny?

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I ordered M2.5x6mm. It was about $3 for a pack of 50. I’m sure I could share some.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks John. Where did you end up sourcing if you don't mind me asking?

3$/50 vs $5.20 for one
:/ hmmmm...

Attachments

• SNAG-4-13-2020 0000.jpg
    SNAG-4-13-2020 0000.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 0

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I've got a M4.5 and a combo T10/T15 wrench on order at Kinnemetal right now. When I pick them up, I'll ask about other sizes. The wrench was just over 8$ and the screw was 4.50, I think.

When I get a tool I always buy one or more extra screws at time of purchase. Then I am not out if it breaks or drops into a busy chip tray. (ask me how I know!)

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks John. I didn't stumble on that particular seller but saw some others (that were a bit more). I think the trick is to search for 'cnc screw' lol
On your seller, I assume this is a typo, but in the order part of ad they say M2.5 x length. Down in the lower part they say M2.6
I think there actually is a M2.6 size but seems like 2.5 is the predominant reference.

Attachments

• SNAG-4-13-2020 0001.jpg
    SNAG-4-13-2020 0001.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 0
  • SNAG-4-13-2020 0002.jpg
    SNAG-4-13-2020 0002.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 0

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I hope it’s 2.5. I guess I’ll find out when they arrive.

I searched for “torx carbide”