• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

CA-AB Russell steel prices

Alberta
Type
Metal

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Good price. Cheaper than my last steel price at kawartha that was around $2/lb. Just looked them up, and Russell would have been a good stock buy for the year too. Damn. Here I was buying actual steel , when I should have been buying steel companies. :D

buckbrush

We had one but everybody but 2 of us dropped out. Finding a trailer to take 20 ft.+ sticks is the hard part.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Too bad your group buy wasn't around here. My flatbed is 27ft and it's built for 16K - but rated for 10.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
We just bought some steel from Russell, 2x2x1/4 tubing $1.30 a pound, 2x2x3/16 angle was $1.00 per pound. Minimum is $500.00 order. F.Y.I.
Comparing to federal metals online pages. 2x2x1/4 is $1.51 a pound. 12 foot sticks so easier to deal with. $206 for 24 feet. and no minimum. They are competitive even at a bit more. Steel Inc. is another place to try here in Calgary. Anybody out East is it less there?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Federal cuts stick in half at request. Normally I bring a battery recip saw with a metal blade. I don't (yet) have a battery bandsaw, but if I see a great deal on one, well, then...

Encore, at one time was great to deal with. good prices, even on smallish orders. Now if you don't want to buy 500$ worth of stuff it is marked up - a lot. I was to buy some offcuts from them at 40$ each, but when they couldn't get the stick of 17-4 I asked for, the price per offcut suddenly became $198 each. :mad:

- I haven't called Encore since.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Metal supermarkets in London is not cheap, but they cut free (even multiple cuts in the same stock eg 6 pieces 3 inches long each) and will get anything I've ever asked for. I can pickup or they deliver overnight reasonably.