• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Rotary Table Questions

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes, it is very well made. Genuine Bridgeport 1967-ish vintage in top condition.

Only reason I say “1967-ish” is because I don’t exactly know the year it was made. It did come with the 1967 BP mill - so the mid to late 60s era should be reasonably close.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
All amazing what they all did before there were any computers (other than mainframes)......

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
For those wanting to be able to cut 127 gears on the cheap-cheap, Tom Lipton wrote an article on using a 5C spin indexer with a single custom plate to cut them. His secret: use 2 rows of holes.

Here's the link to the original article, and then search for November 1 for the article in question:

There's a trick he used that you need to know: He used a DRO with the 'hole' function, but cut every other hole on the first pass (the 'even' pass, then cut the 'odd' holes on the inner circle on the second pass.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
For those wanting to be able to cut 127 gears on the cheap-cheap, Tom Lipton wrote an article on using a 5C spin indexer with a single custom plate to cut them. His secret: use 2 rows of holes.

Here's the link to the original article, and then search for November 1 for the article in question:

There's a trick he used that you need to know: He used a DRO with the 'hole' function, but cut every other hole on the first pass (the 'even' pass, then cut the 'odd' holes on the inner circle on the second pass.

Very cool! I thought we discussed two circles with alternating holes to make them fit on a smaller plate in another post on this thread, but maybe I was only thinking that in the foggy corners of my own mind! LOL!

I do like the idea of using a spin indexer directly though instead of indexing plates on a rotary table crank.

I also liked Tom's comment on another users post about using three holes. I was surprised to see him discuss accumulating errors. That's the point I was trying to make (far less elegantly) on the RT thread here. I just can't see why an error of a thousandth or so here or there matters at all as long as the error is averaged out over the whole circle instead of accumulated one hole at a time. That thousandth (just an arbitrary small number) doesn't matter at all to the gear tooth spacing and besides, all the other errors from stuff bending probably add up to more anyway.

Good find! Thanks @Dabbler !