• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Request Forum Updates / Changes

Mphenley

Premium Member
Perhaps a reputation option, or even two separate reps, one for classifieds similar to any online marketplace, feedback and the like, and one for knowledge/posts. The points and likes are similar, but require slight digging to find, and don't appear to have negatives visible to regular users.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Perhaps a reputation option, or even two separate reps, one for classifieds similar to any online marketplace, feedback and the like, and one for knowledge/posts. The points and likes are similar, but require slight digging to find, and don't appear to have negatives visible to regular users.

I've only been able to find one reputation manager at the moment that is not dependent on an existing vBulletin forum:
https://brivium.com/resources/advanced-reputation-system.281/

Has a cost associated. So this is one idea that may need to wait for a bit. Any other thoughts?

Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
well I tryed to cut and paste and it wouldn't do it on my tablet (android samsung) some urls are too long to copy!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Not sure if I'm wording this properly or maybe it already exists - but some feature that auto-sizes or controls max size of posted image, or maybe provides feedback that its a big megabyte whopper & are you sure you want to do that? I've seen this feature on other forums. Personally, I've committed this upload-oops myself in the past by inadvertently grabbing a jpeg in default camera file size vs, the cropped/reduced version intending to post.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Thanks team. I'll spend some time tomorrow or Monday looking into file size management as well as URLs too long to copy!

Will report back shortly.

JW.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Not sure if I'm wording this properly or maybe it already exists - but some feature that auto-sizes or controls max size of posted image, or maybe provides feedback that its a big megabyte whopper & are you sure you want to do that? I've seen this feature on other forums. Personally, I've committed this upload-oops myself in the past by inadvertently grabbing a jpeg in default camera file size vs, the cropped/reduced version intending to post.
See: http://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/forum-change-log.3/#post-407

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
well I tryed to cut and paste and it wouldn't do it on my tablet (android samsung) some urls are too long to copy!
Did some digging but couldn't find anyone referencing this issue online :(

Any other information you can provide that would help me to investigate?
JW.

Tom O

Ultra Member
ok never mind I just found the link tab I thought all those options were on the right side of the tool bar!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
For some reason it seems, when viewing the last post of a thread, 'Home' or 'Ctrl-Home' doesn't take you to the top of post. Seems like you have to scrolly-wheel your way to the top or use the side sliders in order to continue on to read other posts etc.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
For some reason it seems, when viewing the last post of a thread, 'Home' or 'Ctrl-Home' doesn't take you to the top of post. Seems like you have to scrolly-wheel your way to the top or use the side sliders in order to continue on to read other posts etc.
Can you please confirm which browser and OS you're using? Thanks!

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
One forum I used to be on in the USA had a "one-time Premium Donation" button. It was a good idea for those who wanted to contribute to the Admin costs, but couldn't commit to a monthly or quarterly payment. I don't think it allowed the full "Premium" package, but it was a compromise for those who wished to help out, even if only once. I used it, just because I'd rather contribute and be acknowledged, but not have a monthly fee. Just a thought :)

Thanks.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
One forum I used to be on in the USA had a "one-time Premium Donation" button. It was a good idea for those who wanted to contribute to the Admin costs, but couldn't commit to a monthly or quarterly payment. I don't think it allowed the full "Premium" package, but it was a compromise for those who wished to help out, even if only once. I used it, just because I'd rather contribute and be acknowledged, but not have a monthly fee. Just a thought :)

Thanks.
Will see what I can figure out. :)

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
So Josh a good improvement would be to address the picture rotating problem. I see when I take photos and upload them using my phone they look fine on the phone, rotated correctly. But when I look at the same photos on my computer then the photos are rotated. Somebody else was complaining about this Jimbo Jones maybe? I see examples of this on the Metal Blackening thread. If you were going to spend any time on anything I'd say this problem is something that comes up repeatedly. Other issues are probably just not worth fixing, like the themes.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
The issue with picture rotation is something I did look into briefly in the past. I'll revisit it, but I seem to recall that it was actually more an issue with how some phones take the photo vertically always (iPhones included) and actually add a meta data for "rotate this image 90 degrees counter clockwise when displaying this image" type thing.

This is also why the images are rotated wrong on your computer, and the forum. They're actually displaying the image accurately, as it is a vertical image, but the forum isn't interpreting the meta data, or something like that.

I'll look into it again though for sure.

Sent from my iPhone.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator

Thanks.
Just reviewing, there is a one time donate button that is a standalone paypal thing here:
http://screencast.com/t/V4Ya7a3nWQ

I can't find a way to have both "pick your donation amount" and also automatically tie it to the upgrade system. I think as a workaround, I'll manually (permentantly) upgrade anyone to a new level (give a fancy banner under your name) whenever I see a manual donation come through the donate button. That work for everyone? (Little more manual on my end, but I think it should work)

Edit: Figured out how to make a donate any amount function, but will need to process the user upgrade (banner) manually!

The issue with picture rotation is something I did look into briefly in the past. I'll revisit it, but I seem to recall that it was actually more an issue with how some phones take the photo vertically always (iPhones included) and actually add a meta data for "rotate this image 90 degrees counter clockwise when displaying this image" type thing.

This is also why the images are rotated wrong on your computer, and the forum. They're actually displaying the image accurately, as it is a vertical image, but the forum isn't interpreting the meta data, or something like that.

I'll look into it again though for sure.

Sent from my iPhone.

Other forums are complaining about this issue too:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/images-sideways.56171/

IOS devices have always had that quirk.. Im certain it has nothing to do with [the forum software] and everything to do with Apple..

If you send the file drirectly to your server without going through any software that understand the Auto Rotate command, They will be sideways.
Windows does not undertand auto rotate, So either you would have to get your files using Canon Zoom Browser or Photoshop/Bridge and then upload them to your server

Or if you use windows you would have to manually rotate them

They're talking about a solution, but I can't seem to get access to the script they're using, but will keep looking. The solutions I do find all try to put the onus on the user to rotate the image properly before uploading, which isn't ideal...

Last edited:

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I was wondering about setting up a blacksmithing/ foundry/forge forum page? These topics come up quite often in other threads and nothing currently exists catering to those areas. Thanks much!