• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Replacement bandsaw blades

BMW Rider

Super User
I got the solder and flux as a kit from Lee Valley Tools. They also sell a blade alignment jig. Of course they are marketing their product more for wood working bandsaws, but it works just the same for metal blades.

I did grind a bevel on the blade ends freehand and had no trouble doing it that way. I cut the blade ends square first, then just lightly ground the end on the bench grinder. I'll have to get a picture of the jig, but it is just a piece of flat aluminum that I milled a groove along one edge to create a shoulder to align the blade to, a notch at the center where the lap joint goes to allow soldering and a couple of clamps to hold the blade halves to the jig. I made the clamps independent so I can clamp one piece, then align the other end and clamp it.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I watched that same video. Pretty impressive and good on him for building those jigs. Nice work. I've never done it myself but heard if you don't get the spacing correct and you are cutting the thin wall stuff the bounce causes problems. Still...I like it when guys find a way around pricey commercial options and do it themselves.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
image.jpg image.jpg I bought the propoint bandsaw off Kijiji awhile back and the blade busted, I went to KMS and they don't have it even tho there is a spot on the shelf and a mislabeled blade on the shelf, I required a 52-1/2" and one employee said All blades, so a call was made and the next day I picked up my new blades for $22 a piece. Located across the road from ENG AIR and down the road from the sewage treatment plant

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I see you and I are members of the same "my pics upload with the wrong orientation club." Welcome aboard. I wish I knew what caused this....(other than my inability to use an iPhone properly).

Glad you found blades. Always feels like you won a lottery when you locate a part doesn't it?

Thanks for the blade supplier tip. :)

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
They custom make every one in Edmonton and ship it down, guy on the phone asked my needs and recommended a blade based on that need. It's curious that my phone does not display the photos sideways buts it's an IPhone 4 :p

BMW Rider

Super User
View attachment 1433 View attachment 1432 I bought the propoint bandsaw off Kijiji awhile back and the blade busted, I went to KMS and they don't have it even tho there is a spot on the shelf and a mislabeled blade on the shelf, I required a 52-1/2" and one employee said All blades, so a call was made and the next day I picked up my new blades for $22 a piece. Located across the road from ENG AIR and down the road from the sewage treatment plant

That's the exact saw I have. I bought it a few years ago from PA and now they have discontinued it and the blades which is why I made my own. Its a pretty decent little saw and works a lot better with a quality blade. I am looking to add some mods to the vise to make it closer to the blade for better support of short pieces.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
My solution approach to that was make it convert to a vertical. And I was happy to find I only needed to make a cut table to make it work.