• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Removing a Mt1 taper from a No3 jacobs chuck

Picked up a 17/32 Jacobs chuck (seller scammed me into thinking it was a 3/4") for $50.

It has what I think is an mt1 taper in it right now. I've tried heating the chuck with map gas torch and then trying to twist/pull the taper out, but havent gone very far as I dont want to damage the chuck.

There is no place to use chuck removal wedges.

Thoughts on how I might get this Mt1 taper out?

IMG_2881.JPG IMG_2882.JPG IMG_2883.JPG

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Heat the chuck and cool the taper with a can of compressed air?

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I just checked my Jacobs chuck and the taper hole is blind. Wedges are required to remove the taper.
I guess, there are quite a few variations. I switched arbors on my ball bearing Jacobs a couple days ago. Removed the old one with the wedges, and noticed that the chuck had a through hole.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This method shows a hydraulic press pushing on the end with a pin. Maybe some penetrating miracle juice in the joint would help.

Proxule

Ultra Member
Mounted and dismounted many a chucks, all I have seen or serviced was pressed out from the center, There should be a hole to slip in a small dowel or shoulder bolt or pin or what ever, Press away.

Mounted and dismounted many a chucks, all I have seen or serviced was pressed out from the center, There should be a hole to slip in a small dowel or shoulder bolt or pin or what ever, Press away.
There was no hole. I had to drill one. I'll post pics of the 'after' once the chuck comes out of its evaporust bath tomorrow

This is a 'old' Jacobs No3 chuck I think, marked 'made in Sheffield England' - maybe its age makes it different.

Proxule

Ultra Member
@RobinHood I drilled a 5/16" hole in the bottom of the chuck and the taper popped out with a couple of hits with a hammer and a brass punch after 30 seconds of map gas pre-heat. Thanks!

I'll post a pic later as I immediately put the chuck in an evaporust bath.
Consider electrolysis next time. Its amazing!

Consider electrolysis next time. Its amazing!
I've been pretty happy with Evaporust tbh. Its simple, I dont worry about gas in the shop, no charger plugged in, etc. Warming the evaporust a bit really makes it work well.

I have considered electrolysis for larger parts/projects. I havent had a need yet however.

Proxule

Ultra Member
I've been pretty happy with Evaporust tbh. Its simple, I dont worry about gas in the shop, no charger plugged in, etc. Warming the evaporust a bit really makes it work well.

I have considered electrolysis for larger parts/projects. I havent had a need yet however.
Fair enough, It is indeed more work. But the result and speed is not comparable. 25L pail of water takes about half a cup more or less of washing soda, And a sacrificial anode. ( steel ). The real beauty is the speed it does the cleaning at. And that the slightly caustic solution strips grease oil paint etc etc.

If you need to buy the charger and other supporting equipment, Evaporust is the way to go. Especially if its small.

Just my 2 cents.
gluck

Doggggboy

Ultra Member

I bought a 20 litre pail. I expect to be dead before I need to replace it and I can just drop a part in the pail as opposed to finding a tub the right size, covering the part and then funneling it back into the container when done. 200 bucks at Tenaquip with free Canada Post shipping. About the same price as buying 4 litre jugs at PA but much handier.

Last edited: