• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Relocation of oiler port

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Maybe we are using different terms. The photo shows what I'm referring to as the saddle.
If both reader and scale are mounted to saddle then nuttin' is moving! (Well not independently of each other)View attachment 27657

We're on the same page... Just suggesting moving the scale and reader to the chuck side of the slide. Why not?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
We're on the same page... Just suggesting moving the scale and reader to the chuck side of the slide. Why not?
Oh OK, no I don't want the scale under the chuck and it eliminates the use of a steady rest then because it blocks the mounting holes for the rest. I know, I know ultra-thin magnetic scales would fix that too.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So here what I've got for the scale mounting pads that will attach to the top slide with 3mm bolts. 20221105_164648.jpg

The black screw is a 4mm which hold the scale to the pad. As you can see there is not much meat in the location where the front pad has to go. The pad sitting on top is for the other end of the slide/scale.

Now I just have to get the nerve and wits to carefully drill and tap the slide for those little 3mm bolts.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
A bit of an update and pictures. I got the cross slide scale mounted. The cast iron drilled and tapped very easily. I tapped 3 and 5mm holes.
I can mostly access the oiler ports with the scale attached but the back side port is difficult as I forgot to figure in the scale cover in my initial mockup. I'm not sure I'm going to keep the scale cover anyhow because of that issue and it's a real pain the way I have it mounted if I need to take of the scale. In the picture I show I have not yet cut a slot to access the slide lock but I did get that done also.

For the mounting bracket underneath the saddle I decide to mill off the rough cast surface. It may not have been necessary and maybe I should have continued once I started but I was sh$tting bricks when I was milling as I really didn't know what I was doing and was fearing a wreck. I sure noticed once I got below the rough casting surface the milling was much easier.
20221106_152606.jpg 20221106_152550.jpg 20221106_134335.jpg 20221105_184317.jpg 20221105_185925.jpg 20221106_035945.jpg 20221106_055202.jpg 20221106_063814.jpg

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
A bit of an update and pictures. I got the cross slide scale mounted.

Great Job!

I still wish you tried the tape method. You have WAAAAY more guts than I do and I really need to follow somebody else who goes first...... ;)

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Great Job!

I still wish you tried the tape method. You have WAAAAY more guts than I do and I really need to follow somebody else who goes first...... ;)
Ya I sort of wish I had too but I had started down this road and there was no turning back. Next time maybe.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Like our friend John, I did the same as him, More or less.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PQl3spCQpba1JyQ-ytXM4PTp79414JQC/view?usp=share_link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PKPEkfC__AAUuAWftaAj1hm-8OxIGKSX/view?usp=share_link

I specifically bought a slim scale knowing that it would hit or cover the oil port.
I have just enough room to spare.

Nice work on your end so far!

Install looks great! I especially like your cable relief. Well done!

I am thinking I also want to try and make a track like system that all the cables roll in and out of - including the lamp cable. I don't like cables sliding around in the chip tray.