• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Really ?

Helped a friend replace a high pressure power steering hose on an older Jeep. To get at the hose end coming off the pump was awkward and tight. As he turned the ratchet the handle bumped the power steering pump pulley and it cracked almost in half! Plastic? Really ya cheap bastards...?

I suspect the pulley was original and had become brittle over time. Removed the remaining bits of the pulley. Everything except the metal hub came off. Purchased the power steering pump pulley removing tool. Not a chance. Even if the pulley was still intact, the tool was not going to work. I decided to try a bearing removal tool as there was enough of gap behind the pulley hub to get it in place. No way. The bearing removal tool cross bolts were starting to bend under pressure. Not super noticeable by eye but up against a small straight edge it became obvious. Next.

An impact wrench might have been the next best option but that would require more room. We would have had to remove the fans and radiator at least. Next.

I decided to get out the Dremel with a cutting disc. Made 4 "relief" cuts across the width of the metal hub until the disc just barely scored the shaft near the front of the hub. Couldn't cut all the way through at the back of the hub because I would be cutting into the pump housing. Hit all 4 cut locations with penetrating fluid. Went back to the bearing pulling tool set-up. A few turns of the wrench later - CARCK! The hub moved a fraction. It made a loud crack with each short turn of the wrench until the penetrating fluid finally started to make a difference. Slowly the hub started to slide off the shaft. Once the hub was removed, installed the new pulley and finished the job.

Hub.jpg
Had the rest of the pulley been made out of the same material as the center hub an 8 hour day would have been only 2.🙄

Oh, and the new pulley is identical, mostly plastic except for the center hub. Maybe there is an engineering reason but I suspect it's all about dollars and cents.
 
Though this reminds me of my first '64 Rambler, back in the 70s. Died one day, out of the blue. Pulled off the timing cover to find that AMC, in their advanced wisdom, had used cast aluminum sprockets with plastic (probably Nylon) teeth molded onto them. Probably a brilliant move in terms of weight (though in a cast iron V8) and reduced sprocket/chain friction, which is fine. But it was all those teeth cracking and falling off that brought me to a halt.
 
So here is one of the signs that inspired me to start this thread. This sign is located approximately 30k west of Sooke BC on hiway 14. Hiway 14 runs along the coast of the island, it is two lanes of twists and turns with with plenty of steep hills and bumps of the kind that chiropractors love. There are warning signs posting 30k for downhill corners and even 40k warnings on uphills. Safe to say after 30k of this your with the program. Then there is this sign at the start of a long straight stretch.
20260305_104009.jpg
Really ?
 
I know in bigger centers this happens all the time:


https://www.facebook.com/jacob.harmon.395/videos/4193782964207834/?idorvanity=277154379353079&rdid=avmBMMnd9C6Y4CQZ#

My question - isn't there a simple app that someone could easily create showing all the major trucking routes in Canadian cities showing clearances???

You open your app, put in your measured height restriction of your load, put in your start and end point, and then the app plots your route so that you can avoid slamming into the infrastructure. If you go off course you get an alert stating that you can't proceed because your load can't clear the approaching overpass. There's no way I am the first to think of such a simple app that could save millions of dollars every year in easily avoidable infrastructure damages.
 
Last edited:
I know in bigger centers this happens all the time:


https://www.facebook.com/jacob.harmon.395/videos/4193782964207834/?idorvanity=277154379353079&rdid=avmBMMnd9C6Y4CQZ#

My question - isn't there a simple app that someone could easily create showing all the major trucking routes in Canadian cities showing clearances???

You open your app, put in your measured height restriction of your load, put in your start and end point, and then the app plots your route so that you can avoid slamming into the infrastructure. If you go off course you get an alert stating that you can't proceed because your load can't clear the approaching overpass. There's no way I am the first to think of such a simple app that could save millions of dollars every year in easily avoidable infrastructure damages.
IMG_5326.jpeg
Not trying to be a smart ass- there's a dozen or so pages listing low clearance or restricted routes. Every state and province has a list of roads and heights

If that bridge he hit was 4.7m, he's oversized and should've had permits giving him a specific, safe, route. He's also likely getting close to or should've been running a pole car. So either he was bootlegging it, he measured it incorrectly, the permit office screwed up or he missed a turn.

Also- I've had permits for 14 feet tall yet following the permit route I've gone under overpasses marked 14'2". I've had permits for Michigan for 13'6" tall and overpasses marked 13'5".

And going the other way, buddy got parked because the jersey barriers were too tall in a construction zone, where the MTO had specced short jersey barriers. Permit office assumed per MTO contract the route was safe
 
Not trying to be a smart ass- there's a dozen or so pages listing low clearance or restricted routes. Every state and province has a list of roads and heights

If that bridge he hit was 4.7m, he's oversized and should've had permits giving him a specific, safe, route. He's also likely getting close to or should've been running a pole car. So either he was bootlegging it, he measured it incorrectly, the permit office screwed up or he missed a turn.

Also- I've had permits for 14 feet tall yet following the permit route I've gone under overpasses marked 14'2". I've had permits for Michigan for 13'6" tall and overpasses marked 13'5".

And going the other way, buddy got parked because the jersey barriers were too tall in a construction zone, where the MTO had specced short jersey barriers. Permit office assumed per MTO contract the route was safe

So right there... The simple app with all the updated clearances might take care of those 2 potential errors. Human error gets corrected when the device alerts the driver. Nothing is 100% but maybe you cut down these collisions by 50%?
 
Very common here is dump truck drivers leaving the dump box up and slamming into bridges. Would the app be able to detect when the driver is being a dumb-ass?
 
So right there... The simple app with all the updated clearances might take care of those 2 potential errors. Human error gets corrected when the device alerts the driver. Nothing is 100% but maybe you cut down these collisions by 50%?
Yes, I didn't mean to poo-poo your idea. Your idea has merit, I was just trying to give a couple real life examples of why things don't always work

The Michigan load I mentioned should have been a 14' route, not 13'6". I measured the F ton out of my load at 13'5" and ran it because the permits said 13'6"

There is a bit of blind trust, if the permit office gives you a route, that it should be fine. Yes, it's still up to the driver and pilots to make it safely.

4.7m is like I said getting into pole car territory, as an additional safety measure
 
Very common here is dump truck drivers leaving the dump box up and slamming into bridges. Would the app be able to detect when the driver is being a dumb-ass?
No.

If the app device is able to scream at the person in 40 different languages with a blinking light and maybe it throws a pail of water in their face but they still hit the overpass then they get sentenced to plant trees up north next summer.
 
Yes, I didn't mean to poo-poo your idea. Your idea has merit, I was just trying to give a couple real life examples of why things don't always work

The Michigan load I mentioned should have been a 14' route, not 13'6". I measured the F ton out of my load at 13'5" and ran it because the permits said 13'6"

There is a bit of blind trust, if the permit office gives you a route, that it should be fine. Yes, it's still up to the driver and pilots to make it safely.

4.7m is like I said getting into pole car territory, as an additional safety measure

I get what you're saying. Never drove transport so maybe it's a lot more complicated than I realize. Then again, the autonomous car can be built. I think my less than fully formed app idea is a high school project in comparison.
 
I was lowbedding a piece of forestry equipment out of the woods. In no time at all I snagged a line. I had a pilot car and darkness was coming on so the pilot car raced ahead stopping at all the overhead lines and I had to maneuver the load under the high spots.
BC hydro came after me for damages. A few choice words and they left me alone. This particular area had been logged off 30 or so years ago and then sold off as "rural acreages" so the crappy little trees that sprung up were always falling down into the power lines. There were lots of splices visible in the lines and lots of places where the lines were stretched and well below the 14' clearance standard.
 
I get what you're saying. Never drove transport so maybe it's a lot more complicated than I realize. Then again, the autonomous car can be built. I think my less than fully formed app idea is a high school project in comparison.
I don't think you're wrong, but permit offices seem to screw things up quite often. That's also on the driver, to read the permits ahead of time to try to catch mistakes
 
Back
Top